Mouse Motion Not Fluid...

I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:

-Printing through paralell port
-Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
-CDROM access
-A lot of hard disk activity on startup

It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc state".
Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before I
have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?

tia,
mene
10 answers Last reply
More about mouse motion fluid

    How much physical RAM is installed?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "mene" <mene@nope.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
    >becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
    >It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
    >
    > -Printing through paralell port
    > -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
    > -CDROM access
    > -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
    >
    > It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
    > recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
    > state". Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this
    > before I have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
    >
    > tia,
    > mene

    Have you disabled all the little Pointer and Keyboard Helpers,
    Configurators, DooDads, and WotNots? I have seen the MS IntelliType and
    IntelliPoint software have a significant impact on keyboard and mouse
    responsiveness, even on a relatively simple application like the Pinball
    game that comes with Windows. Perhaps Toshiba has similar applications.

    Try disabling them, at least temporarily, and see if that does not change
    things. The little Windows Pinball game is a great test. Those flippers
    should pop and respond instantly when the 'Z' and '?' keys are pressed. If
    you notice any delay at all, even occassionally, then you probably have an
    issue with some programmable keyboard 'enhancement' application running in
    the background.

    Regards,

    Carl

    1GB.

    > How much physical RAM is installed?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "mene" wrote:
    >
    > | I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
    > | becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to
    > side.
    > | It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
    > |
    > | -Printing through paralell port
    > | -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
    > | -CDROM access
    > | -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
    > |
    > | It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
    > | recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
    > state".
    > | Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before
    > | have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
    > |
    > | tia,
    > | mene

    Excellent, I love the Pinball test. I will give your suggestions a try
    right now. Thank you again.

    "Vagabond Software" <vagabondsw-X-@-X-gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "mene" <mene@nope.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
    >>becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
    >>It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
    >>
    >> -Printing through paralell port
    >> -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
    >> -CDROM access
    >> -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
    >>
    >> It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
    >> recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
    >> state". Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this
    >> before I have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
    >>
    >> tia,
    >> mene
    >
    > Have you disabled all the little Pointer and Keyboard Helpers,
    > Configurators, DooDads, and WotNots? I have seen the MS IntelliType and
    > IntelliPoint software have a significant impact on keyboard and mouse
    > responsiveness, even on a relatively simple application like the Pinball
    > game that comes with Windows. Perhaps Toshiba has similar applications.
    >
    > Try disabling them, at least temporarily, and see if that does not change
    > things. The little Windows Pinball game is a great test. Those flippers
    > should pop and respond instantly when the 'Z' and '?' keys are pressed.
    > If you notice any delay at all, even occassionally, then you probably have
    > an issue with some programmable keyboard 'enhancement' application running
    > in the background.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Carl

    What does Win.Task Manager, performance show for cpu/mem.usage when one of
    these activities occuring?

    > 1GB.

    > > How much physical RAM is installed?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > > "mene" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
    > > | becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to
    > > side.
    > > | It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
    > > |
    > > | -Printing through paralell port
    > > | -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
    > > | -CDROM access
    > > | -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
    > > |
    > > | It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
    > > | recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
    > > state".
    > > | Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this
    before
    > > | have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
    > > |
    > > | tia,
    > > | mene

    Standard stuff, low resource usage, never higher than 10% except for maybe
    at startup when applications are loading. Vagabond Software just provided
    some good suggestions that I will attempt and report back on.

    Thanks DL

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > What does Win.Task Manager, performance show for cpu/mem.usage when one of
    > these activities occuring?
    >
    > "mene" <mene@nope.net> wrote in message
    >> 1GB.
    >>

    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > How much physical RAM is installed?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Carey Frisch
    >> > Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > -----------------

    >> > mouse
    >> > side.

    >> > state".
    > before

    Hi there,

    I've been having the same problem with my mouse. Although mine mainly
    occurs during cdrom or dvd-rw activity in which I can barely move the mouse
    at all! I've tried updating my drivers, and uninstalling them as well, but
    still the same thing. My cpu, like you, is only at about 10-15%. I have
    768meg RAM.

    If you find any answers could u please let me know? If I do here I'll let
    you know.

    Thanks,

    Tim

    "mene" wrote:

    > I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
    > becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
    > It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
    >
    > -Printing through paralell port
    > -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
    > -CDROM access
    > -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
    >
    > It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
    > recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc state".
    > Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before I
    > have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
    >
    > tia,
    > mene

    Is your PC a notebook and how does the mouse connect (PS/2 or
    USB) ? On notebooks the Touchpad driver also controls the mouse.
    Sometimes you have to set a BIOS setting to control how mice &
    touchpads interact. (Use only mouse, both or automatically disable).
    You need to check and see if a Touchpad watchdog app is active
    and monitoring.
    Also this type of problem can be related to the video driver in use.

    "timmeee" <timmeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've been having the same problem with my mouse. Although mine mainly
    > occurs during cdrom or dvd-rw activity in which I can barely move the
    > mouse
    > at all! I've tried updating my drivers, and uninstalling them as well,
    > but
    > still the same thing. My cpu, like you, is only at about 10-15%. I have
    > 768meg RAM.
    >
    > If you find any answers could u please let me know? If I do here I'll let
    > you know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tim
    >

    > "mene" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
    >> becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
    >> It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
    >>
    >> -Printing through paralell port
    >> -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
    >> -CDROM access
    >> -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
    >>
    >> It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
    >> recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
    >> state".
    >> Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before
    >> have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
    >>
    >> tia,
    >> mene

    There are a lot of causes for a sluggish or jerky mouse pointer as a Google
    search would reveal.

    Your case sounds like a problem with the video card drivers. conflicting
    with the mouse software.
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the display card drivers. If you are not
    using basic Windows mouse software try using it.

    If you still have problems what mouse software and how much video Ram have
    you got?
    --
    Uncle John

    Hi Uncle John,

    Well i just worked out what the problem was. My mouse receiver was too far
    away from my mouse. In normal operation it worked fine, but when I used my
    cdrom/dvd-rw drives to do anything it became unusuable. For some reason,
    when I use the drives the receiver is not as receptive to the mouse signal.
    Strange.

    Thanks for your reply though.

    Tim

    "Uncle John" wrote:

    > There are a lot of causes for a sluggish or jerky mouse pointer as a Google
    > search would reveal.
    >
    > Your case sounds like a problem with the video card drivers. conflicting
    > with the mouse software.
    > Try uninstalling and reinstalling the display card drivers. If you are not
    > using basic Windows mouse software try using it.
    >
    > If you still have problems what mouse software and how much video Ram have
    > you got?
    > --
    > Uncle John

Data Recovery Mice Toshiba Windows XP