Mouse Motion Not Fluid...

August 8, 2005 4:12:31 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:

-Printing through paralell port
-Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
-CDROM access
-A lot of hard disk activity on startup

It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc state".
Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before I
have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?

tia,
mene

More about : mouse motion fluid

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:12:32 PM

How much physical RAM is installed?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mene" wrote:

| I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
| becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
| It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
|
| -Printing through paralell port
| -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
| -CDROM access
| -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
|
| It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
| recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc state".
| Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before I
| have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
|
| tia,
| mene
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:12:32 PM

"mene" <mene@nope.net> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
>becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
>It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
>
> -Printing through paralell port
> -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
> -CDROM access
> -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
>
> It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
> recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
> state". Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this
> before I have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
>
> tia,
> mene

Have you disabled all the little Pointer and Keyboard Helpers,
Configurators, DooDads, and WotNots? I have seen the MS IntelliType and
IntelliPoint software have a significant impact on keyboard and mouse
responsiveness, even on a relatively simple application like the Pinball
game that comes with Windows. Perhaps Toshiba has similar applications.

Try disabling them, at least temporarily, and see if that does not change
things. The little Windows Pinball game is a great test. Those flippers
should pop and respond instantly when the 'Z' and '?' keys are pressed. If
you notice any delay at all, even occassionally, then you probably have an
issue with some programmable keyboard 'enhancement' application running in
the background.

Regards,

Carl
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:02:30 PM

1GB.

> How much physical RAM is installed?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "mene" wrote:
>
> | I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
> | becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to
> side.
> | It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
> |
> | -Printing through paralell port
> | -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
> | -CDROM access
> | -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
> |
> | It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
> | recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
> state".
> | Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before
> | have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
> |
> | tia,
> | mene

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:49:50 PM

Excellent, I love the Pinball test. I will give your suggestions a try
right now. Thank you again.

"Vagabond Software" <vagabondsw-X-@-X-gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o A8VeHEnFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "mene" <mene@nope.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
>>becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
>>It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
>>
>> -Printing through paralell port
>> -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
>> -CDROM access
>> -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
>>
>> It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
>> recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
>> state". Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this
>> before I have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
>>
>> tia,
>> mene
>
> Have you disabled all the little Pointer and Keyboard Helpers,
> Configurators, DooDads, and WotNots? I have seen the MS IntelliType and
> IntelliPoint software have a significant impact on keyboard and mouse
> responsiveness, even on a relatively simple application like the Pinball
> game that comes with Windows. Perhaps Toshiba has similar applications.
>
> Try disabling them, at least temporarily, and see if that does not change
> things. The little Windows Pinball game is a great test. Those flippers
> should pop and respond instantly when the 'Z' and '?' keys are pressed.
> If you notice any delay at all, even occassionally, then you probably have
> an issue with some programmable keyboard 'enhancement' application running
> in the background.
>
> Regards,
>
> Carl

August 8, 2005 11:07:18 PM

What does Win.Task Manager, performance show for cpu/mem.usage when one of
these activities occuring?

> 1GB.

> > How much physical RAM is installed?
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> > "mene" wrote:
> >
> > | I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
> > | becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to
> > side.
> > | It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
> > |
> > | -Printing through paralell port
> > | -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
> > | -CDROM access
> > | -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
> > |
> > | It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
> > | recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
> > state".
> > | Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this
before
> > | have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
> > |
> > | tia,
> > | mene

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:07:19 PM

Standard stuff, low resource usage, never higher than 10% except for maybe
at startup when applications are loading. Vagabond Software just provided
some good suggestions that I will attempt and report back on.

Thanks DL

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> What does Win.Task Manager, performance show for cpu/mem.usage when one of
> these activities occuring?
>
> "mene" <mene@nope.net> wrote in message
>> 1GB.
>>

>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> > How much physical RAM is installed?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups

> -----------------

>> > mouse
>> > side.

>> > state".
> before

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:43:05 AM

Hi there,

I've been having the same problem with my mouse. Although mine mainly
occurs during cdrom or dvd-rw activity in which I can barely move the mouse
at all! I've tried updating my drivers, and uninstalling them as well, but
still the same thing. My cpu, like you, is only at about 10-15%. I have
768meg RAM.

If you find any answers could u please let me know? If I do here I'll let
you know.

Thanks,

Tim

"mene" wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
> becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
> It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
>
> -Printing through paralell port
> -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
> -CDROM access
> -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
>
> It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
> recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc state".
> Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before I
> have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
>
> tia,
> mene

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:53:31 AM

Is your PC a notebook and how does the mouse connect (PS/2 or
USB) ? On notebooks the Touchpad driver also controls the mouse.
Sometimes you have to set a BIOS setting to control how mice &
touchpads interact. (Use only mouse, both or automatically disable).
You need to check and see if a Touchpad watchdog app is active
and monitoring.
Also this type of problem can be related to the video driver in use.

"timmeee" <timmeee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> I've been having the same problem with my mouse. Although mine mainly
> occurs during cdrom or dvd-rw activity in which I can barely move the
> mouse
> at all! I've tried updating my drivers, and uninstalling them as well,
> but
> still the same thing. My cpu, like you, is only at about 10-15%. I have
> 768meg RAM.
>
> If you find any answers could u please let me know? If I do here I'll let
> you know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>

> "mene" wrote:
>
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 and when I do certain things, the mouse
>> becomes very jerky and generally not fluid when moving from side to side.
>> It almost stops responding completely. This occurs when:
>>
>> -Printing through paralell port
>> -Copying large amounts of data to a USB location
>> -CDROM access
>> -A lot of hard disk activity on startup
>>
>> It is a brand new system with nothing new installed on it. Toshiba
>> recommends using the recovery disc but it is still in "recovery disc
>> state".
>> Is there something I can look for that would be the cause of this before
>> have to send it back to Toshiba and be without for weeks?
>>
>> tia,
>> mene

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:57:39 PM

There are a lot of causes for a sluggish or jerky mouse pointer as a Google
search would reveal.

Your case sounds like a problem with the video card drivers. conflicting
with the mouse software.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the display card drivers. If you are not
using basic Windows mouse software try using it.

If you still have problems what mouse software and how much video Ram have
you got?
--
Uncle John
Anonymous

Hi Uncle John,

Well i just worked out what the problem was. My mouse receiver was too far
away from my mouse. In normal operation it worked fine, but when I used my
cdrom/dvd-rw drives to do anything it became unusuable. For some reason,
when I use the drives the receiver is not as receptive to the mouse signal.
Strange.

Thanks for your reply though.

Tim

!