CPU cooler recommendation...

G

Thermaltake is a good brand. You could get a tornado, but i would personally find it too loud. Maybe you should look into the p4 spark.

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
I would get Swiftech MCX4000 + Tt Samart FAN II or the Alpha PAL8942 + Tt Smart FAN II. Both are a little dificult to mount.

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
I'm going to get Thermaltakes new SubZero4G when it is released. Speaking of which, I'd better check on that.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I know of a PERFECT cooler for it! It's very high capacity, and made for CPU's of even higher speeds! It's called...The Intel Retail Boxed Cooler. It's been redesigned for the 3.06 and higher CPU, and it comes with the Retail Box and 3 year warranty!

OEM CPU's come with no warranty whatsoever. None. Do you really trust your vender to honor THEIR warranty? Even then, vender warranties are usually around 15 days.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Not true in Canada, Crashman... I just purchased a bunch of OEM XP1800s with a year warranty on them. OEM Celerons in this area usually have a year also. And, yes, I've gotten bad ones replaced without even so much as a quibble.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Canada, USA, what I should say is that warranties on OEM CPU's are at the discretion of the vender, there is no factory warranty, and the vender can be as nice or as dirty as they like.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
No, parts warranties, of all kinds are factory warranties. Some of the better vendors will do hand-over exchanges of in-stock mercandise, but they are backed by factory warrantee.

There are laws about that, at least in Canada.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree the heat sink that comes with the 3.06 is nice. It has a copper base and high air flow design. Exceptional fit is guarneteed.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=35-106-009-04.jpg/35-106-009-03.jpg" target="_new">Avoid this one</A> or others like it if you go thru with buying aftermarket heat sink.

It has spring loaded clips with a small screw in the center holding the clips on.

Swiftech, Arkua, or AVC sunflower if you can find it.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>