How do you eliminate a BIOS password??

Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging in
and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
"enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to eliminate
it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also. Short of
pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration jumper is
there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

Bill Mackey wrote:

> Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
> computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
> Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging in
> and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
> set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
> security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
> "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
> password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to eliminate
> it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also. Short of
> pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration jumper is
> there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

I'm not sure where the "space bar" come in.

When it asks for a password, just hit <Enter>.

You should get a "Not Enabled" message.

Notan

Got to admit I once had the same question the first time I tried to disable
a BIOS password I had set. Took me about 5 seconds (yeah, okay, 4 seconds
too many) to figure "what if I . . . "

>just hit <Enter>.
>
> You should get a "Not Enabled" message.

if you open the case and go onto Dell's web site you will find a pin to
remove or jumper to clear the BIOS passwords

Pretty simple really

Wayne

Bill Mackey wrote:

> Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
> computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
> Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging
> in and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
> set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
> security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
> "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
> password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to
> eliminate it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also.
> Short of pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration
> jumper is there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

.... or remove the coin-sized C2032 3v battery and let the computer sit for a
bit, then put the battery back in its socket. Either way, unplug the wall power
first... Ben Myers

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:59:02 -0500, "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote:

>if you open the case and go onto Dell's web site you will find a pin to
>remove or jumper to clear the BIOS passwords
>
>Pretty simple really
>
>Wayne
>
>Bill Mackey wrote:
>
>> Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
>> computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
>> Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging
>> in and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
>> set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
>> security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
>> "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
>> password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to
>> eliminate it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also.
>> Short of pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration
>> jumper is there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

all these answers are correct but clearing the BIOS password aint gonna help
anyone log onto windows
> ... or remove the coin-sized C2032 3v battery and let the computer sit for
> bit, then put the battery back in its socket. Either way, unplug the wall
> power
> first... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:59:02 -0500, "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>if you open the case and go onto Dell's web site you will find a pin to
>>remove or jumper to clear the BIOS passwords
>>
>>Pretty simple really
>>
>>Wayne
>>
>>Bill Mackey wrote:
>>
>>> Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
>>> computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
>>> Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging
>>> in and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
>>> set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
>>> security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
>>> "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
>>> password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to
>>> eliminate it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also.
>>> Short of pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration
>>> jumper is there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

For cracking Windows NT/2000/XP passwords, there is Pettar Nordahl's very fine
bit of freeware:

.... Ben Myers