Why is almost every peice of text I read in italics?

August 8, 2005 1:21:02 PM

Most websites are now in italics on my computer seemingly for no reason.
These websites never previously was in italics. Even when I use a word
processor such as "word" or "Wordpad" is in italics despite the fact I've
turned this off. Can anyone help revert the text back to normal.
August 8, 2005 3:52:27 PM

leanmeanbean9 wrote:

> Most websites are now in italics on my computer seemingly for no
> reason. These websites never previously was in italics. Even when I
> use a word processor such as "word" or "Wordpad" is in italics despite
> the fact I've turned this off. Can anyone help revert the text back to
> normal.

Here is the solution to the "italics problem" by the late, great MVP
Alex Nichol:

"When a rogue program decides to install its own version of system
fonts, it may replace the original version of the font file with a
shortcut in the font folder. Once this program is uninstalled, the
shortcut may now point to a font file that no longer exists. Windows
XP in turn reacts by turning all unspecified fonts into italics upon
next reboot.The simple way to fix this is to delete all shortcuts in
the font folder and replace them with the actual font file. By going
to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts],
you can also double check the path of each font and look for any
suspicious paths."

Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm

How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768

TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers