Txt to PDB - PDB to Txt

October 19, 2004 11:00:49 AM

Hi!!!
I need to convert a PDB file for TXT data, and later, TXT to PDB,
through Delphi. How can I do this?
Regards

Rafael

More about : txt pdb pdb txt

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:19:09 PM

On 19 Oct 2004 07:00:49 -0700, Rafael Lopes had this to say...

> Hi!!!
> I need to convert a PDB file for TXT data, and later, TXT to PDB,
> through Delphi. How can I do this?
> Regards
>
> Rafael

Any search engine can find lots of solutions, search for 'Palm Delphi'.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

rafaelopes@ig.com.br (Rafael Lopes) wrote in

> Hi!!!
> I need to convert a PDB file for TXT data, and later, TXT to PDB,
> through Delphi. How can I do this?
> Regards
>
> Rafael

There are many .pdb formats, each for a different reader. You need to know
the file format of the .pdb you're converting.

--
Regards,

Stan
October 22, 2004 2:21:38 AM

On 19 Oct 2004 23:26:51 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>> Hi!!!
>> I need to convert a PDB file for TXT data, and later, TXT to PDB,
>> through Delphi. How can I do this?
>> Regards
>>
>> Rafael
>
>There are many .pdb formats, each for a different reader. You need to know
>the file format of the .pdb you're converting.

I have the same need, but personally would prefer to convert it to std.
ASCII txt, either during the transfer or before on the PC, then be able to
read it as a regular ASCII txt file on the PDA.
Everything I see so far requires conversion to some proprietary formatted
PDB and reading with that specific app.
Jeez, I can't believe how hard this is to find! There are 8 zillion txt
readers for PC, and it seems like about the most basic function you can
ask for, yet it's a total pain to find.
Hell, you could even just view a txt file from a friggin DOS prompt!
How hard can it be for them!
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 10:57:00 AM

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in

> I have the same need, but personally would prefer to convert it to std.
> ASCII txt, either during the transfer or before on the PC, then be able
> to read it as a regular ASCII txt file on the PDA.
> Everything I see so far requires conversion to some proprietary
> formatted PDB and reading with that specific app.
> Jeez, I can't believe how hard this is to find! There are 8 zillion txt
> readers for PC, and it seems like about the most basic function you can
> ask for, yet it's a total pain to find.
> Hell, you could even just view a txt file from a friggin DOS prompt!
> How hard can it be for them!

Get a card reader, and transfer the text files to an SD card. Then you can
use several viewers to read the text, or something like SiEd or QED to edit
them. ASCII text isn't a Palm format, so you can't put it on the handheld,
but it's not hard to do on an SD card.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 1:35:01 AM

Try TL-PDB.

"Rafael Lopes" <rafaelopes@ig.com.br> wrote in message
> Hi!!!
> I need to convert a PDB file for TXT data, and later, TXT to PDB,
> through Delphi. How can I do this?
> Regards
>
> Rafael
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:25:34 AM

On 22 Oct 2004 06:57:00 GMT, Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com>
spewed:
>> I have the same need, but personally would prefer to convert it to std.
>> ASCII txt, either during the transfer or before on the PC, then be able
>> to read it as a regular ASCII txt file on the PDA.
>> Everything I see so far requires conversion to some proprietary
>> formatted PDB and reading with that specific app.
>> Jeez, I can't believe how hard this is to find! There are 8 zillion txt
>> readers for PC, and it seems like about the most basic function you can
>> ask for, yet it's a total pain to find.
>> Hell, you could even just view a txt file from a friggin DOS prompt!
>> How hard can it be for them!
>
>Get a card reader, and transfer the text files to an SD card. Then you can
>use several viewers to read the text, or something like SiEd or QED to edit
>them. ASCII text isn't a Palm format, so you can't put it on the handheld,
>but it's not hard to do on an SD card.

So it just can't exist on the internal mem, even if you managed to get it
there?
I found a prog that was supposed to make PalmOS recognize other file
types, sorta like windows associations, but I can't get it to work :(

Isn't there any prog. that'll allow it to be transferred to card without
having to go the cardreader route? Knew about that, but was hoping to
avoid the hassle.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 9:07:57 PM

> Isn't there any prog. that'll allow it to be transferred to card without
> having to go the cardreader route? Knew about that, but was hoping to
> avoid the hassle.

No. With PalmOS, the memory is a big datbase, and everything has to be
formatted as a record in it. The only files you can put into RAM are .prc
and .pdb files. You can put anything on an SD card. It's pretty much the
same with other OSs. You can put anything you like on the hard disk or
floppy, but they don't load directly into memory. A program reads them from
the disk and manipulates them as necessary, but you can't transfer a text
file directly to RAM on your PC. The SD card acts like a storage disk, and
Palm programs can use it and the files on it.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 12:51:26 AM

<see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
> Isn't there any prog. that'll allow it to be transferred to card
> without having to go the cardreader route? Knew about that, but was
> hoping to avoid the hassle.

Yes. There are. Things like PFB, SyncWizard, CardExport, ...

Gruß
Uwe
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:05:00 AM

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
> So it just can't exist on the internal mem, even if you managed to get it
> there?

Apart from the fact that you could never get something to a place where
it already can't exist, that's right.

> Isn't there any prog. that'll allow it to be transferred to card without
> having to go the cardreader route? Knew about that, but was hoping to
> avoid the hassle.

I haven't tried it, but I have heard of a trick where you rename
your foo.txt file to foo.pdb, then install direct to SD Card with
hotsync. (Newer versions of the desktop let you sync directly
to the card.) Then you use some file manipulation utility, like
FileZ for instance, to rename foo.pdb back to foo.txt. A bit silly,
but if you don't have a card reader, it might work for you.

- Logan
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:05:01 AM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 05:05:00 +0000, Logan Shaw wrote:

> I haven't tried it, but I have heard of a trick where you rename your
> foo.txt file to foo.pdb, then install direct to SD Card with hotsync.
> (Newer versions of the desktop let you sync directly to the card.) Then
> you use some file manipulation utility, like FileZ for instance, to
> rename foo.pdb back to foo.txt. A bit silly, but if you don't have a
> card reader, it might work for you.

That can't possibly work, because renaming a file, does not split
that file into records and resources, which is what would be required to
put it on the Palm's main RAM.

Don't believe everything you hear.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:38:37 AM

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 05:05:00 +0000, Logan Shaw wrote:
>

>>I haven't tried it, but I have heard of a trick where you rename your
>>foo.txt file to foo.pdb, then install direct to SD Card with hotsync.
>>(Newer versions of the desktop let you sync directly to the card.) Then
>>you use some file manipulation utility, like FileZ for instance, to
>>rename foo.pdb back to foo.txt. A bit silly, but if you don't have a
>>card reader, it might work for you.

> That can't possibly work, because renaming a file, does not split
> that file into records and resources, which is what would be required to
> put it on the Palm's main RAM.

That's why I suggested installing it "direct to SD Card" instead of
installing it to RAM. The point is to get it onto the card without
using a reader, or at least that was the post that I replied to was
asking for.

- Logan
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:17:21 PM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:21:38 -0700,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid was understood to have stated
the following:

>On 19 Oct 2004 23:26:51 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:
>>> Hi!!!
>>> I need to convert a PDB file for TXT data, and later, TXT to PDB,
>>> through Delphi. How can I do this?
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Rafael
>>
>>There are many .pdb formats, each for a different reader. You need to know
>>the file format of the .pdb you're converting.
>
>I have the same need, but personally would prefer to convert it to std.
>ASCII txt, either during the transfer or before on the PC, then be able to
>read it as a regular ASCII txt file on the PDA.
>Everything I see so far requires conversion to some proprietary formatted
>PDB and reading with that specific app.
>Jeez, I can't believe how hard this is to find! There are 8 zillion txt
>readers for PC, and it seems like about the most basic function you can
>ask for, yet it's a total pain to find.
>Hell, you could even just view a txt file from a friggin DOS prompt!
>How hard can it be for them!

What is wrong with the standard Palm DOC format? I used, and continue
to use, this format for storing text files. It's not natively a text
file on the PDA, although almost all document readers support this
format.
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 4:23:40 AM

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in

> Isn't there any prog. that'll allow it to be transferred to card without
> having to go the cardreader route? Knew about that, but was hoping to
> avoid the hassle.

PFB will do that. http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm
The page is in German, and so is the app, but if you look in the English
subdirectory there is an English version. You run a Windows program on the
PC, a Palm app on the Palm in the cradle, and you can do whatever you like
with the files. It's freeware, and works well for me. CardExport does about
the same thing, but isn't free.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 4:48:29 AM

On 24-Oct-2004, Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com> Flushed this thought
from his brain to the screen::

> PFB will do that. http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm
> The page is in German, and so is the app, but if you look in the English
> subdirectory there is an English version. You run a Windows program on the
> PC, a Palm app on the Palm in the cradle, and you can do whatever you like
> with the files. It's freeware, and works well for me. CardExport does about
> the same thing, but isn't free.

Cool program Stan! Thanks for the link. Works fine on my Z72.

WyreNut

--
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist! -- Indira Ghandi
Anonymous

On 23 Oct 2004 17:07:57 GMT, Stan Gosnell <fakename@fakeaddress.com>
spewed:
>> Isn't there any prog. that'll allow it to be transferred to card without
>> having to go the cardreader route? Knew about that, but was hoping to
>> avoid the hassle.
>
>No. With PalmOS, the memory is a big datbase, and everything has to be
>formatted as a record in it. The only files you can put into RAM are .prc
>and .pdb files. You can put anything on an SD card. It's pretty much the
>same with other OSs. You can put anything you like on the hard disk or
>floppy, but they don't load directly into memory. A program reads them from
>the disk and manipulates them as necessary, but you can't transfer a text
>file directly to RAM on your PC. The SD card acts like a storage disk, and
>Palm programs can use it and the files on it.

Thanks, that helps. Too bad though :(  Had thought Palms had some
internal RAM, some flash, and some ROM because their internal storage
seemed to me to share some of the characteristics of both RAM and HDD on a
regular computer.
Plus, I'd heard you actually can only "see" and store things to a % of the
"RAM", and the rest is "ROM" and working mem.
Anyway, clearer now. Thanks.
TTYL.
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:57:54 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 05:05:00 GMT, Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com>
spewed:
>see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>> So it just can't exist on the internal mem, even if you managed to get it
>> there?
>
>Apart from the fact that you could never get something to a place where
>it already can't exist, that's right.
>
>> Isn't there any prog. that'll allow it to be transferred to card without
>> having to go the cardreader route? Knew about that, but was hoping to
>> avoid the hassle.
>
>I haven't tried it, but I have heard of a trick where you rename
>your foo.txt file to foo.pdb, then install direct to SD Card with
>hotsync. (Newer versions of the desktop let you sync directly
>to the card.) Then you use some file manipulation utility, like
>FileZ for instance, to rename foo.pdb back to foo.txt. A bit silly,
>but if you don't have a card reader, it might work for you.
>
> - Logan

YES! It works :)
Now if it'll only work on all supported types for the various readers
(like PDF, etc.). Tryin that next :)

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:57:56 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 01:36:39 -0400, "David A. Desrosiers"
<hacker@gnu-designs.com> spewed:
>> I haven't tried it, but I have heard of a trick where you rename your
>> foo.txt file to foo.pdb, then install direct to SD Card with hotsync.
>> (Newer versions of the desktop let you sync directly to the card.) Then
>> you use some file manipulation utility, like FileZ for instance, to
>> rename foo.pdb back to foo.txt. A bit silly, but if you don't have a
>> card reader, it might work for you.
>
> That can't possibly work, because renaming a file, does not split
>that file into records and resources, which is what would be required to
>put it on the Palm's main RAM.
>
> Don't believe everything you hear.

Interesting, because it DOES work!
I just did it. Text file opened perfectly with SiEd.
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:57:57 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 05:38:37 GMT, Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com>
spewed:
>>>I haven't tried it, but I have heard of a trick where you rename your
>>>foo.txt file to foo.pdb, then install direct to SD Card with hotsync.
>>>(Newer versions of the desktop let you sync directly to the card.) Then
>>>you use some file manipulation utility, like FileZ for instance, to
>>>rename foo.pdb back to foo.txt. A bit silly, but if you don't have a
>>>card reader, it might work for you.
>
>> That can't possibly work, because renaming a file, does not split
>> that file into records and resources, which is what would be required to
>> put it on the Palm's main RAM.
>
>That's why I suggested installing it "direct to SD Card" instead of
>installing it to RAM. The point is to get it onto the card without
>using a reader, or at least that was the post that I replied to was
>asking for.

Yes, this is true. Won't work for RAM, but does work to card.
Tried it to RAM first accidentally (forgot to "change destination" and it
gives you the unsupported type error or whatever it says in the log.

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:57:59 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:17:21 -0400, "David W. Poole, Jr."
<KillroyWasHere.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> spewed:
>>On 19 Oct 2004 23:26:51 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> spewed:

>>>There are many .pdb formats, each for a different reader. You need to know
>>>the file format of the .pdb you're converting.
>>
>>I have the same need, but personally would prefer to convert it to std.
>>ASCII txt, either during the transfer or before on the PC, then be able to
>>read it as a regular ASCII txt file on the PDA.
>>Everything I see so far requires conversion to some proprietary formatted
>>PDB and reading with that specific app.
>>Jeez, I can't believe how hard this is to find! There are 8 zillion txt
>>readers for PC, and it seems like about the most basic function you can
>>ask for, yet it's a total pain to find.
>>Hell, you could even just view a txt file from a friggin DOS prompt!
>>How hard can it be for them!
>
>What is wrong with the standard Palm DOC format? I used, and continue
>to use, this format for storing text files. It's not natively a text
>file on the PDA, although almost all document readers support this
>format.

Cuz, I don't wanna convert txt, or other formats, to anything before
install :)  Just pisses me off to have to.
I dunno, maybe a pet peave, whatever. I'd rather go thru the renaming
thing than not have em usable in the original form.
Plus, if I can find a prog. to do it, I can transfer them after editing on
the Palm back to the PC and not have to do ANOTHER convert.

BTW, somebody mentioned CardExport. I seem to remember seeing something
about that, but looked like it only dumped the entire card to PC, not just
select files. Didn't seem to go unsupported format to Palm either.
I may have missed something, or not had the right version, support files,
etc. I guess. If it does that, what'd I do wrong?

For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:33:12 AM

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote in
news:p q6np0t1ldv71jplalkrojjjtv8h9qtnve@4ax.com:

> Thanks, that helps. Too bad though :(  Had thought Palms had some
> internal RAM, some flash, and some ROM because their internal storage
> seemed to me to share some of the characteristics of both RAM and HDD on
> a regular computer.
> Plus, I'd heard you actually can only "see" and store things to a % of
> the "RAM", and the rest is "ROM" and working mem.
> Anyway, clearer now. Thanks.

Palms do have ROM, but you can't access it through normal means. The ROM
holds the OS, and some models have flash ROM that holds other applications.
On some of these you can use JackFlash and JackSprat to move applications to
and from flash ROM.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:38:17 AM

> Plus, if I can find a prog. to do it, I can transfer them after editing
> on the Palm back to the PC and not have to do ANOTHER convert.

Try PFB, freeware available at http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm
Just click on the download link under PFB. Extract the files in the English
subdirectory to the directory of your choice on your PC, sync the .prc file
to your Palm, put the Palm in the cradle, run the apps on both computers, and
you can move files between the PC, the handheld, and the card at will, more
or less. You still can't put non-Palm files into the Palm's RAM, but you can
transfer anything between the PC and the card, no renaming required, and it's
faster than hotsyncing.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 11:49:56 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:57:59 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>Cuz, I don't wanna convert txt, or other formats, to anything before
>install :)  Just pisses me off to have to.
>I dunno, maybe a pet peave, whatever. I'd rather go thru the renaming
>thing than not have em usable in the original form.
>Plus, if I can find a prog. to do it, I can transfer them after editing on
>the Palm back to the PC and not have to do ANOTHER convert.

Why don't you try Palm Text Sync ??? I've been using that for a
while, works well... transparent... it will even merge changes if you
should happen to change the file both on your PDA and on your desktop.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 5:24:18 AM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:49:56 -0500, Apsyrtes had this to say...

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:57:59 -0800,
> see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:
>

> >Cuz, I don't wanna convert txt, or other formats, to anything before
> >install :)  Just pisses me off to have to.
> >I dunno, maybe a pet peave, whatever. I'd rather go thru the renaming
> >thing than not have em usable in the original form.
> >Plus, if I can find a prog. to do it, I can transfer them after editing on
> >the Palm back to the PC and not have to do ANOTHER convert.
>

> Why don't you try Palm Text Sync ??? I've been using that for a
> while, works well... transparent... it will even merge changes if you
> should happen to change the file both on your PDA and on your desktop.

Thanks for the link ( 8(|)

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:21:37 PM

If you only want to read .Txt files and have a Palm with flash card,
drop the *.txt file onto the flash card, run TealDoc and read!

Very nice and easy way to read lots of eBooks as well!
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:53:11 PM

In article <co38i5$al7$2@news.service.uci.edu>, David Chien wrote:
> If you only want to read .Txt files and have a Palm with flash card,
> drop the *.txt file onto the flash card, run TealDoc and read!
>
> Very nice and easy way to read lots of eBooks as well!

I don't think TealDoc remembers position in text files when you close and
reopen them though. Or has that changed?
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:53:12 PM

Paul Murray wrote:
> In article <co38i5$al7$2@news.service.uci.edu>, David Chien wrote:
>
>>If you only want to read .Txt files and have a Palm with flash card,
>>drop the *.txt file onto the flash card, run TealDoc and read!
>>
>>Very nice and easy way to read lots of eBooks as well!
>

> I don't think TealDoc remembers position in text files when you close and
> reopen them though. Or has that changed?

SiEd edits text files on an SD -- benroe.com I think.
!