Sign in with
Your question

Upg 98SE to XP Pro Dies

Last response: in Windows XP
August 20, 2002 10:53:20 PM

I've tried several times to upgrade from 98SE to XP Pro. I've used two different versions, the upgrade and the full. Both crap out with the following message:

"The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was unable to load the file I386\WIN9XUPG\W95UPG.DLL.
A device attached to the system is not functioning."

The compatibility advisor, which I ran from MS' website, says the WAN miniport, MDP 3900V-U and UMAX SCSI-ISA hardware my not be compatible. (Where in blazes did I get a WAN miniport?)
What now? Should I go for clean install? SHould I start in Safe Mode? Should I chuck the whole mess and try to get money back?

Thanks.

Dell XPS-T 700r
256 MB RAM
10 GB & 30 GB HD
ATI Rage Pro 128
Sound Blaster Live Digital

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue:

More about : upg 98se pro dies

August 21, 2002 12:53:10 AM

It appears there's a problem with installation reading the file off the disk. Make sure it's a clean disk, w/o smudges + fingerprints and maybe the CD drive is going bad? Not sure, I'd recoomend trying a clean install, as it's the best way to do an upgrade anyhow (gets rid of all the old junk)

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"
August 21, 2002 9:03:14 PM

The version of XP Pro I have says UPGRADE on the box. Can I still do a clean install from it?

Related resources
August 21, 2002 11:35:17 PM

Usually you can do a clean install just fine if you have a previous version CD available.

At some point it will ask you to insert the Win 98/ME/2000 cd into the drive, and then you will put the XP cd back in and continue.
August 28, 2002 10:44:36 PM

I got an answer from theDell site. If this happens to you, copy the I386 folder to your C drive. Then run setup from C:\I386\setup.exe.

!