Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard & CPU help

Last response: in Computer Brands
November 3, 2011 6:38:04 PM

Ok, I have a DELL Optiplex GX280 SFF. I'd like to upgrade it as best as I can and I need the tech specs for the OE motherboard(part# Y2681). I'v looked and Googled and I'v even called Dell(absolutely no help)to talk to a guy, at least I think it was a guy, that knew less about computers than I did.

Basically, I want to know its limits. Its an LGA775 socket and I want to know how much RAM it can take and how big of a cpu it can handle.

If it helps, I'm into web design and programming using VS 2010 Ultimate. My setup now has a 2.8g Intel P4 Prescott cpu and 1gb of ram and its slower than my grandmothers driving. I'm just starting my business and dont have the money to get a new setup yet but i have access to hard wear needed for an upgrade.

Plz help me with some real advice and info.

More about : motherboard cpu

November 3, 2011 9:38:30 PM

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS - Visual Studio

Computer that has a 1.6GHz or faster processor
1 GB (32 Bit) or 2 GB (64 Bit) RAM (Add 512 MB if running in a virtual machine)
3GB of available hard disk space
5400 RPM hard disk drive
DirectX 9 capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher-resolution display
DVD-ROM Drive

With this said there is not much you really need to do..

But if you want a smoother rig I would grab another gig or two of ram.. I remember this model.. most have a 4 slot memory capacity.. even if they don't.. even removing the old ram and putting in more would be a nice boost..

Ram:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPa...

But I think VS is more GPU reliant, so.. with that said... I would aim for a new unit when you can...you would need around $600 to get a mid range performance rig for VS

m
l
November 3, 2011 9:53:15 PM

I have all that. I have a 1g gcard and I got extra RAM thats not the problem. I was askin cuz a friend of mine gave me a 3.8gh cpu in the same Intel family and same socket. I just wanted to know cuz I do alot of animations and thats were i need more speed. The gcard is new. I want to know how far can I push the cpu?
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 10:00:45 PM

if the shoes fit.. or the socket.. I would give it a whirl... just get some high quality thermal compound, and monitor your temp's.. it should be fine.. if not look at getting a new cpu cooler that could fit... or even a cheap mid tower that it could go into... If you where to throw it into a mid tower you would have allot more options.. however you may need to get a new psu.. because that's a slimline.. and there's are a funny shape.

But give that cpu a go'er.. and run some tests

Software for monitoring:

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444....

This does Temp's and Fan speeds..
m
l
November 5, 2011 6:29:16 AM

Ok, I tried the swap and ti said that the cpu is unsupported. I would like to know how to find a compatible cpu. Dell dont give straight answers.
m
l
!