Default sizes of windows driving me nuts again

August 8, 2005 1:25:24 PM

My IE windows keep opening at slightly less than max. I know there is
a trick to resize the window manually and then close it. But it still
opens at less-than-max size.

I've also tried opening a second window and manually resizing it and
then closing the first window then the second. It still doesn't fix
it.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:35:08 PM

First, *close all other windows*. Now, grab the corners of the window and
drag it to full screen size. Close the window using File>Close, or File>Exit
depending what program you're in. Windows will remember the last screen size
used the next time you open the program.

If that doesn't do the job, check out these free downloads.

Windows Maximizer:
http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/download.asp

Windows AutoSizer:
http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/

IE Window maximizer utility:

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

"Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
> My IE windows keep opening at slightly less than max. I know there is
> a trick to resize the window manually and then close it. But it still
> opens at less-than-max size.
>
> I've also tried opening a second window and manually resizing it and
> then closing the first window then the second. It still doesn't fix
> it.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:37:17 PM

Let me add that when I first open the first IE window (I have XP by the
way), it is the size I want. But If I then say File>New>Window, the
new window is slightly-smaller-than-max. I have tried stretching the
second window but as I said, it keeps coming up less than max.

A note: is there a way to find the dimensions of a current window? I
could alt-printscreen and use Paint to measure it but there may be a
simpler way.
August 8, 2005 1:41:18 PM

You have to close the other windows first and then stretch it and close it.
--

> Let me add that when I first open the first IE window (I have XP by the
> way), it is the size I want. But If I then say File>New>Window, the
> new window is slightly-smaller-than-max. I have tried stretching the
> second window but as I said, it keeps coming up less than max.
>
> A note: is there a way to find the dimensions of a current window? I
> could alt-printscreen and use Paint to measure it but there may be a
> simpler way.

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:56:10 PM

It doesn't appear to be working with the new window still opening
slightly smaller.
The desktop icon property does work.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:11:57 PM

I've done that but it doesn't work.

The funny thing is, I've solved the same problem before, the same way!

PA Bear wrote:
> See http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers.htm#new_wi...
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:06:09 PM

Richard Fangnail wrote:
> My IE windows keep opening at slightly less than max. I know there is
> a trick to resize the window manually and then close it. But it still
> opens at less-than-max size.
>
> I've also tried opening a second window and manually resizing it and
> then closing the first window then the second. It still doesn't fix
> it.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:15:12 PM

The resized window *must* be the last IE window closed. Some users will
need to depress CTRL key while closing or use File > Exit. [Or just use:
http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/]

Might you be running IE7 Beta 1?
--
~PA Bear

Richard Fangnail wrote:
> I've done that but it doesn't work.
>
> The funny thing is, I've solved the same problem before, the same way!
>
> PA Bear wrote:
> > See http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers.htm#new_wi...
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:34:37 PM

Hello Richard,

Whichever shortcut you are using to launch IE, right click it, and select proeprties. Under the
'Run' drop-down, choose "Maximised".

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User