Need good router: ordered Ispiron 6000 w/ "Intel Intel® PR..

So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a" because
there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood (the phone almost
doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz would be worth having, if
nothing else than to experiment.

Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly, so
heck---it's worth it just to find out.

*BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys still is
the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric about
the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel router a
good idea?

*THANKS*

--
Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being

Hi Tom,

I have an Inspiron 700m with the IntelPRO Wireless a/b/g card and bought a
Netgear WGU624 router for exactly the same reason you stated. It works
flawlessly and I think using the 'a' band gives overall better wireless
performance than the 'g' band. I got the router, brand new, on eBay at a
substantial savings over other online retailers....

Tmax60

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:7iHse.9147$aR1.1617@trndny02...

> So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a"
> because there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood (the
> phone almost doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz would be
> worth having, if nothing else than to experiment.
>
> Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly, so
> heck---it's worth it just to find out.
>
> *BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys still is
> the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric
> about the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel
> router a good idea?
>
> *THANKS*
>
> --
> Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs
> need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses
> before being bred. If you are breeding dogs without taking care as to the
> genetic quality of the dog (again, being purebred is *not* enough), you
> are what is known as a "backyard breeder" and are part of the problem.
> Most of the congenital problems of present day dogs are traceable directly
> to backyard breeding. Spay or neuter your pet responsibly, and don't just
> think that you're somehow the exception and can breed a dog without taking
> the care described.

I have a Linksys WRT55AG router tucked in a corner in my upstairs den. I
have a Dell 5150 with the a/b/g built-in and it works flawlessly. My laptop
detects the A and G and lets me choose which to use. My wife has a Dell
600m with the b built-in and it picks up the b signal. I use A. We don't
have any interference with the wireless phones. There are several b systems
in my neighborhood too.

Good Luck,
Karl

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:7iHse.9147$aR1.1617@trndny02...

> So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a"
> because there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood (the
> phone almost doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz would be
> worth having, if nothing else than to experiment.
>
> Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly, so
> heck---it's worth it just to find out.
>
> *BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys still is
> the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric
> about the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel
> router a good idea?
>
> *THANKS*
>
> --
> Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs
> need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses
> before being bred. If you are breeding dogs without taking care as to the
> genetic quality of the dog (again, being purebred is *not* enough), you
> are what is known as a "backyard breeder" and are part of the problem.
> Most of the congenital problems of present day dogs are traceable directly
> to backyard breeding. Spay or neuter your pet responsibly, and don't just
> think that you're somehow the exception and can breed a dog without taking
> the care described.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:30:43 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

>*BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys still is
>the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric about
>the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel router a
>good idea?

I like the Netgears. I just installed one last week for someone with
an Inspiron 6000 and it was extremely easy...automatically detected
the cable modem, instant web access.

Dan

For whatever it's worth, I've used
Linksys with the Intel and it works
well, but I had great difficulty with
the Linksys and WEP, even with other Linksys
equipment. Using no encryption or WPA, no problems.

"Dan" <jasdfosd@asjedfoi.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:30:43 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>*BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys
>>still is
>>the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric
>>about
>>the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel
>>router a
>>good idea?
>
> I like the Netgears. I just installed one last week for someone with
> an Inspiron 6000 and it was extremely easy...automatically detected
> the cable modem, instant web access.
>
> Dan

Dan coughed up:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:30:43 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys
>> still is the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there
>> something esoteric about the Intel wireless signal discipline that
>> makes getting an Intel router a good idea?
>
> I like the Netgears. I just installed one last week for someone with
> an Inspiron 6000 and it was extremely easy...automatically detected
> the cable modem, instant web access.

For the record, I went with the WGU624 (netgear). I'll report back with any
odd discoveries I make with the thing.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Silverado coughed up:

> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:7iHse.9147$aR1.1617@trndny02...
>>
>> So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a"
>> because there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood
>> (the phone almost doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz
>> would be worth having, if nothing else than to experiment.
>>
>> Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly,
>> so heck---it's worth it just to find out.
>>
>> *BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys
>> still is the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there
>> something esoteric about the Intel wireless signal discipline that
>> makes getting an Intel router a good idea?
>>
>> *THANKS*
>
> I have a Linksys WRT55AG router tucked in a corner in my upstairs
> den. I have a Dell 5150 with the a/b/g built-in and it works
> flawlessly. My laptop detects the A and G and lets me choose which
> to use. My wife has a Dell 600m with the b built-in and it picks up
> the b signal. I use A. We don't have any interference with the
> wireless phones. There are several b systems in my neighborhood too.
>
> Good Luck,
> Karl

Just so you know, I was going to default to this very linksys because you
recommended it, and because linksys *seems* in the past to be the most
stable. But I checked on cnet.com and it was filled with horror stories,
far more so than any other modem.

--

wrote in message news:GN1ve.851$Bn6.346@trndny08...
> Silverado coughed up:
> >
> > "Thomas G. Marshall"
> > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:7iHse.9147$aR1.1617@trndny02...
> >>
> >> So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a"
> >> because there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood
> >> (the phone almost doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz
> >> would be worth having, if nothing else than to experiment.
> >>
> >> Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly,
> >> so heck---it's worth it just to find out.
> >>
> >> *BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys
> >> still is the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there
> >> something esoteric about the Intel wireless signal discipline that
> >> makes getting an Intel router a good idea?
> >>
> >> *THANKS*
> >
> > I have a Linksys WRT55AG router tucked in a corner in my upstairs
> > den. I have a Dell 5150 with the a/b/g built-in and it works
> > flawlessly. My laptop detects the A and G and lets me choose which
> > to use. My wife has a Dell 600m with the b built-in and it picks up
> > the b signal. I use A. We don't have any interference with the
> > wireless phones. There are several b systems in my neighborhood too.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> > Karl
>
> Just so you know, I was going to default to this very linksys because you
> recommended it, and because linksys *seems* in the past to be the most
> stable. But I checked on cnet.com and it was filled with horror stories,
> far more so than any other modem.
>

> --
> Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

For what it's worth, CISCO has a new beginners book out on home
networking that of course features their subsidiary's, Linksys, routers. It
is MS Windows oriented.