Trying to get initial Win7 Boot

SkullyB

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hello,
I've just built my first PC which uses a MSI Z77A-GD65 MOBO.
I burned the Windows 7 .iso file to a DVD and tried to boot it from that (I went into the BIOS and explicitly stated for the system to do so) However when I do, it produces the phrase "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
The disk is brand new and clean and the LED on the optical drive flashes as if attempting to read from the disk but to no avail.
I have also put the .iso file onto a flash memory stick and tried to boot it from that it says "SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2919 H. Peter Anvin et al
ERROR: No configuration file found
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!" then it asks me "boot:"
When I type in the .iso file name, it says EDIT: "Invalid or corrupt kernel image." but I can view the .iso fine on windows explorer on my other computer.

Anyone any idea how I should proceed so I can install Win7?

Thank you in advance to any help given.

You probably just did the wrong thing with the ISO file. You don't burn the ISO file a disk as is. You need to expand the files that the ISO image contains to the disk. Any burning software will have an option to create a disk off the ISO file. Just don't plop the ISO file itself on the disk.

During post if you press F8 or whatever the key combination is for you motherboard to allow you to select a boot device, see if you have two options for DVD, one will be for EFI DVD and the other for legacy DVD, choose the latter.

SkullyB

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I just found the link for the USB/DVD download tool as that reply came in. Cheers all the same. Currently burning to a DVD. Hopefully this will work.
The issue appeared to be centred around the .iso being a student d/l (amongst incorrectly burning to disk previously)
I did try using the extracted files but with the same result. Hopefully this tool will work.

I have seen the iso download be corrupt and not work the first time.

Also, you can't just extract the files and copy them to a DVD, you actually have to use the burning software to put the ISO on the disk or you won't get the proper boot information on the disk.