Hp 3300c scanner on xp

jlw41

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have a HP 3300c ScanJet running on a dual boot system. (Win 2000 SP2 and XP SP3). The scanner runs perfectly on 2000 and has for 8 years. On XP it has been running perfectly for 3 years, but has recently failed. The failure started when I tried to install the scanner on a new XP system where it failed to operate properly. Returning the scanner to the dual boot system I soon discovered that it no longer worked on XP, although it continued to work on 2000. I have spent countless hours reading the blogs, downloading, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating and trying every recommendation on the HP website, but have not been able to restore proper functionallity under XP. Reinstalling the scanner software and not allowing the HP update to take place leaves the default MS drivers for the scanner. With these drivers installed, scanning will start but soon terminates with the familiar 2117 error. Allowing the HP update to run installs unsigned HP drivers which will then function properly as long as power to the scanner is not interrupted.Once power has been removed and then restored, XP scanning will no longer work. The symptom is that the scanning software (and copy software) hang when started and have to be terminated under Task Manager. I have concluded from all of my tests that the 2000 driver set and the default MS XP drivers initialize the scanner properly and the HP drivers apparently do not. Once the 2000 or the MS XP drivers have initialized the scanner the HP drivers will work properly as long as power is retained on the scanner.

The following unacceptable work-arounds are possible to temporarily restore XP scanning functionality:

1. During system power-up first boot into 2000 and then immediately reboot into XP.

2. During system power-up boot into XP, unistall the scanner drivers, reinstall default MS drivers, run HP update to install the HP drivers.

3. Put the scanner on a UPS so that power is never interrupted.

It is still a mystery why the original XP installation worked for 3 years. The only possible difference is that the original drivers may have been installed on XP before SP3 was installed.

I know the scanner is not worth the many hours that I have already expended. I was planning to buy a new scanner for a Windows 7 system that I have, but was hoping to continue using the old scanner an a new XP system.

Can anyone help me on this one ????

Sorry for such a long-winded question, but I wanted to supply as much information as possible.

jlw41

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I finally solved this problem by disabling the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) Service under XP. This apparently interfers with the HP acquisition software. The only explanation for it working properly for 3 years under XP is that I must have disabled the WIA service but do not remember doing so.

Latest posts