Monitor Cleaner

I have a 700m that came with a sample of KlearScreen cleaner and microfiber
cloth. Says it's made especially for Dell????

What do you use to clean your monitor screen with?
--
C and A Bredt

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:32:39 GMT, C and A Bredt wrote:

> What do you use to clean your monitor screen with?

Water and an old cotton diaper.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:32:39 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "C and A Bredt"
<abredtXYZ@XYZsocal.rr.com> wrote:

>What do you use to clean your monitor screen with?

Clean fresh water and a clean, soft 100% cotton cloth (old towel, t-shirt,
etc.).

If there's any gritty dust, I blow or gently brush that off, so it doesn't
get ground into the monitor when I clean it.

I've never gotten anything on a monitor that needed anything fancier to
remove. If you do need something extra, stick to cleaning fluids and wipes
that are specifically designed for your type of monitor: the monitor
documentation may have suggestions.

Avoid window cleaners, which sometimes have ammonia or other chemicals that
can degrade you display; same for other household cleaners that aren't
specifically designed for monitors.

Or just do a Google search for the last half-dozen threads on this topic. :)
(How long before somebody suggests sandblasting, coarse scouring powder,
etc.?)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's two rules of spammer talk:

1. Spammers lie.
2. If a spammer ever appears to be telling
the truth, please refer to rule number 1.

compressed air followed by damp cloth. save your money!

"C and A Bredt" <abredtXYZ@XYZsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a 700m that came with a sample of KlearScreen cleaner and
microfiber
> cloth. Says it's made especially for Dell????
>
> What do you use to clean your monitor screen with?
> --
> C and A Bredt

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"C and A Bredt" <abredtXYZ@XYZsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a 700m that came with a sample of KlearScreen cleaner and microfiber
>cloth. Says it's made especially for Dell????
>
> What do you use to clean your monitor screen with?
> --
> C and A Bredt

I'll ask the wife.............

>>Wasn't that sexist.<<

You're kidding, right?

>>Paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it works for me on the CRT and
>>the LCD.<<

You're scratching your monitors with paper towels.

"Cyclops" <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:35:49 -0700, Cyclops <david.hagar@gmail.com>
wrote:

Don't use PGP in the newsgroups.

Scotty

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001

The same as if I was cleaning my glasses, lenscleaner and a cloth. Paper
towels would scratch the surface and you really don't want anything that
really runs so you have to be fairly quick with the cloth to wipe off any
runs on the screen.

"C and A Bredt" <abredtXYZ@XYZsocal.rr.com> wrote in message

>I have a 700m that came with a sample of KlearScreen cleaner and microfiber
>cloth. Says it's made especially for Dell????
>
> What do you use to clean your monitor screen with?
> --
> C and A Bredt

You would never want to spray anything directly onto the monitor. Dampen
the cloth (soft cotton or microfiber). According to Dell and several other
computer monitor manufacturers, rubbing alcohol is safe for their LCDs. I
use a 50/50 mixture diluted with water. But other manufactures say to NOT
use rubbing alcohol.
http://www.carlwebster.com/LCDCleaning.htm

Taken from the Dell website:
There are many cleaning solutions sold specifically as LCD cleaners. You
can use these to clean LCD screens on Dell notebooks. Alternately, you may
use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and water mixture. Microfiber cloths
such as those used to clean eyeglasses are excellent for use with LCDs.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1011125&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

Monica

"Scotty" <rsilton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> The same as if I was cleaning my glasses, lenscleaner and a cloth. Paper
> towels would scratch the surface and you really don't want anything that
> really runs so you have to be fairly quick with the cloth to wipe off any
> runs on the screen.

"Cyclops" wrote

> Paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it works for me on the CRT and
> the LCD.

Besides wood fiber, most paper products contain a mix of chemical and
recycled ingredients.

Ed

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:35:49 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Cyclops
<david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote:

>Paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it works for me on the CRT and
>the LCD.

Paper is made out of wood...

Wood fibers, small bits of wood, etc. in paper can scratch and gouge
plastics and other soft materials.

Not a good idea for a monitor screen.

And rubbing alcohol is a solvent, and not too healthy for some plastics.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.

"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> >>Wasn't that sexist.<<
>
> You're kidding, right?
>
> >>Paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it works for me on the CRT and
> >>the LCD.<<
>
> You're scratching your monitors with paper towels.

URBAN LEGEND!

"Ed Wurster" <glass_net@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Cyclops" wrote
>
> > Paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it works for me on the CRT and
> > the LCD.
>
> Besides wood fiber, most paper products contain a mix of chemical and
> recycled ingredients.
>
> Ed

Geez... And to think we wipe our mouths with napkins!
The horror... the horror....

Paper towel paranoia is you ask me!