Sign in with
Your question

College Computer Lab: AMD or P4?

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2003 10:35:35 PM

I am going to be doing a mock report for a communications class where I have to write about a \'problem\'. In this case, the computer labs at the college I attend use P4s in their computers. Since most students use the computers for word processing, email and so on, they aren\'t doing very demanding things. With this in mind, which processor is better for a non high end user in a college lab setting?? AMD Athlon XP+ or Intel P4?? (not sure which speeds to compare). Please let me know what you think and what your reasons are and/or direct me to a website which might explain the pros and cons of each processor. Thank you.
February 22, 2003 10:43:07 PM

They both will do the job well. Neither will have a noticable performance gain over one another. Its better to list how much you want to shell out.
February 22, 2003 11:04:23 PM

AXP and P4 will be equal for this job. Since AXP is cheaper, AXP is a better buy.

Recommended Componets:-

CPU:- Athlon XP 1700+
Mobo:- ASUS A7N266-VM
RAM:- 256 MB Kingston PC2100 Cl2.5 DDR

This mobo has good onboard video, sound and 10/100 LAN.

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
Related resources
February 22, 2003 11:32:53 PM

Well a huge difference actually is for math profs/ science. I mean anything requiring fpu calculations and stuff simply blows in a P4. I do quantum simulations and stuff and my 1.2Ghz T-Bird serves me very nicely- tried on P4 and it took sooooooo much longer. Same thing w/ my dad's business- task x on his comp at work (dual 1.8Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, several SCSI's) takes all night. My comp (1.2Ghz T-Bird, 512DDR, RAID0 2xD740X) takes under 50 mins! Substantial difference!!

Hilbert space is a big place.
February 22, 2003 11:34:55 PM

Kill it! Kill it! I used the word stuff twice there, that's a first.

February 22, 2003 11:36:49 PM

i recall you finding a way to optimize that stuff with 3dnow, or somthing, that would account for the difference. 8 hours or so does not come from the difference between the p4 and amd

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
February 22, 2003 11:40:10 PM

The 8 hour thing is for my dad's stuff. That stuff was compiled on a P4 platform. I only ran the exe and data on mine. My quantum simulations r a different story- I optimized em to run faster overall. They were compiled on my amd and on the p4, and the difference was rather noticeable.

February 23, 2003 1:30:31 AM

Has he tried the Intel C compiler?
Word has it, that it can improve dramatically Pentium 4 performance, on scales of up to 90%.
I also believe it is normal that it would not be as performing, it is a different architecture. You need to optimize for the "deeper slimmer" type of pipeline, and make optimizations for the Hyper Threading components, as well as Trace Cache efficiency. I believe these two account for a major part of the Pentium 4's overall performance, aside from SSE2's excellent help, WHEN possible.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
February 23, 2003 11:57:11 PM

Bah, intel can go screw themselves if I need to pull that shite. This is what I like to do: spend entire day thinking up the code and writing it. Then go optimize it. Then compile, find the bugs and debug. Compile and get it to work, get results, onto next sim/ revision. No wanty to go special compily.

February 24, 2003 1:18:24 AM

Why not just use an Intel Celeron. Personally, I think the performance people on THG suggest for college lab is too much. We all know you don't need jack [-peep-] for word processing and all you need to worry about is compadibility and price. And since Celerons are better than durons, I suggest a Celeron. Has a better reliability rep and you can get nice cheap ones based on the P4. Better yet u can still use the half decent P4 mobos.
February 24, 2003 2:41:12 AM

What are you smoking ???

it takes a Celeron 2Ghz to compete with a 1.3Ghz Duron......

That and u know how much more that Celeron is than the duron??

its besides the fact that at least where i live i can buy an Athlon XP 2000+ for the same price as a Celeron 2Ghz based on the P4 Willy......

Willy was a POS...and the Celery Wilyl is an even bigger POS..waste of money.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
February 24, 2003 4:15:25 AM

While you're at it, let's take Diamond4D's ideas a little further: go with old Tualatin-based P3's if you can get them. The main reason for this is that recent x86 procs are terrible power hogs. P4 is the worst, followed closely by the Athlon.

The P3 is a much less power-hungry chip. It draws only a little over half the wattage of a similarly-clocked Athlon and performs only slightly worse in most apps. For most desktop apps (word processing, web browsing), and even some heavier apps (compile jobs) the P3 does nicely.

If someone needs machines with a lot of horsepower, supplant your main workstation stock with a few powerful systems (like dual-processor AthlonMP boxen). Make the main workstations completely public-access; make the beefier workstations public-access too, but give certain people the ability to reserve them at specific times for intensive number-crunching tasks.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
!