Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I transfer all of my pic from my tower to my laptop using a router?

Tags:
  • Computers
  • CD-Rom
  • Laptops
  • Product
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
December 27, 2009 8:19:25 PM

I know ABSOLUTLEY nothing about computers. My CD rom on my tower is not working. And I have a TON of pictures of my son that I need to get on a CD before something happens to the computer and I loose them all. Please help. I have no Idea how to even begin, but I recall my grandfather saying that I could transfer everything if I had a router. PLEASE PLEASE help!! Thank you! O and both computers are Windows XP

More about : transfer pic tower laptop router

Related resources
December 27, 2009 10:47:10 PM

A switch would be the appropriate device to use, unless you already have a router with available ports. Just don't try to save money by getting a hub instead.
m
l
December 28, 2009 2:38:03 AM

Thank you for all of yor feed back. I will definatley try this tomorrow while my son is sleeping! Again thank you and I will let you know how it goes. I will most likely try the ethernet suggestion. I have like two or three extra cables. Dunno why! LOL!
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
December 28, 2009 7:43:21 AM

Shandi5966 said:
I have like two or three extra cables.
Is one of them a crossover cable? A normal cable won't work.
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
December 28, 2009 10:20:06 AM

Here is a simplified set of instructions to use a Crossover cable.
http://www.home-network-help.com/crossover.html
December 28, 2009 12:46:11 PM

Shandi5966 said:
I know ABSOLUTLEY nothing about computers. My CD rom on my tower is not working. And I have a TON of pictures of my son that I need to get on a CD before something happens to the computer and I loose them all. Please help. I have no Idea how to even begin, but I recall my grandfather saying that I could transfer everything if I had a router. PLEASE PLEASE help!! Thank you! O and both computers are Windows XP

You can transfer files if both computers are connected to your router.

Right click on folder with pictures and enable sharing.

Search on the laptop for computers on your network.
m
l
January 4, 2010 3:00:52 PM

WR2 said:
Is one of them a crossover cable? A normal cable won't work.

Didn't know that. And I doubt it. LOL!! I am in the process of moving and found a CD rom. So when we get setteled in i'm definatley going to check it out and see if it works!!
m
l
!