Why Flip Panel Ports at Bottom???

I don't mean to be critical, but I am wondering why the front USB and
headphone jack are under a flip cover at the bottom of the case (in my
8400 and others).

Am I missing something? It seems to be a design problem. Whenever I
need to use them, I have to lay on the floor with a flashlight trying
to plug things in.

Kevin

Because these computers are called "desktops" they are designed to be placed
on the top of a desk. Thus the ports you mention would be readily
accessible.

Kevin wrote:

> Because these computers are called "desktops" they are designed to be placed
> on the top of a desk. Thus the ports you mention would be readily
> accessible.

The term "desktop" is a bit of a throwback to the days of yesteryear.

Most of the earlier desktops were built for horizontal installation,
to be placed underneath the monitor.

With the advent of (mini) towers, people started placing them on the
floor.

Notan

"Kevin K Fosler" <KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote in message
>I don't mean to be critical, but I am wondering why the front USB and
> headphone jack are under a flip cover at the bottom of the case (in my
> 8400 and others).
>
> Am I missing something? It seems to be a design problem. Whenever I
> need to use them, I have to lay on the floor with a flashlight trying
> to plug things in.
>
> Kevin

Poorly thought out design that's existed since the Dimension 4300 with the
inception of the hinged case.

I have two of these same (chassis type) systems here and I agree.

They took care of that with the Dim4600>>newer mid-level cases, and now the
new 9100's also don't have the problem.

Stew

I agree, it is a nuisance. I got tired of using a flash light. To solve
it, I bought a 4 port USB router and routed it to my desktop. Now I can
plug USB in at my desk level.

"Kevin K Fosler" <KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote in message
>I don't mean to be critical, but I am wondering why the front USB and
> headphone jack are under a flip cover at the bottom of the case (in my
> 8400 and others).
>
> Am I missing something? It seems to be a design problem. Whenever I
> need to use them, I have to lay on the floor with a flashlight trying
> to plug things in.
>
> Kevin

They're towers! Who puts a tower on the desk? They go on the floor and the
design is incredibly stupid. Even the 2400 has a better design.

Tom
"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Because these computers are called "desktops" they are designed to be
> placed on the top of a desk. Thus the ports you mention would be readily
> accessible.
>
> "Kevin K Fosler" <KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I don't mean to be critical, but I am wondering why the front USB and
>> headphone jack are under a flip cover at the bottom of the case (in my
>> 8400 and others).
>>
>> Am I missing something? It seems to be a design problem. Whenever I
>> need to use them, I have to lay on the floor with a flashlight trying
>> to plug things in.
>>
>> Kevin

Yes, they are a tower case, strictly speaking, and if you put your tower
system, fitted with ports at the bottom of the front of the case on the
floor you are not going to be able to easily reach those ports. If you look
at current advertising for Dell and other known big brand name manufacturers
you see their tower case systems on desktops in the "typical" home and
office setting. Yes, it is not convenient for those ports to be on the
bottom of the case when you want to use those ports on a frequent basis. I
know, I own a Dimension 4700. And I have it on the floor. Actually I have
it in a wheeled cart at my immediate left, under my desk. And yes, it is a
pain in the ass to have to reach down there and plug in whatever I have to
plug in.

I sympathize with your plight. But, the vast majority of cases do not have
provision for USB and/or audio ports in the top of the case. It's not just
Dell. Have you seen any installations like those in schools or call
centers? Those towers are on the desktop, next to the monitor.

Kevin wrote:

> Because these computers are called "desktops" they are designed to be placed
> on the top of a desk. Thus the ports you mention would be readily
> accessible.

You mean the "mini towers"? Never seen one of them on top of a desk
(which doesn't mean no one has theirs on top of their desk, of course).

"cat hair"...give me a break! Lose the cats...they give you as much
enjoyment as a bad BIOS re-flash!

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Not to waylay the discussion, it's far easier to use one of the four USB
ports on the back & bottom of the LCD monitor.
Easy to plug in cameras, printers, wireless keyboard, whatever. (USB 2.0
specifications).

>I don't mean to be critical, but I am wondering why the front USB and
> headphone jack are under a flip cover at the bottom of the case (in my
> 8400 and others).

Kind of assumes you have the monitor that HAS those ports, doesn't it? My
two LCD panels in my dual display setup do not.

Tom