P4 Overheating & typical temperatures

Xzibit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
Hi,

I just built a new computer with a P4 3.06 GHz ( with stock heatsink and fan) and an Asus P4G8X deluxe MB. Since it was the first time I installed a CPU I followed careful instructions and also applied some Artic SIlver III thermal compound. Also, I did not overclock the CPU at all.

The thing is when I check the CPU temperature in Sandra or Asus PC probe the CPU seems quite high whether it's idle or under full load.

Idle : 52 degrees C
Full load : 60-62 C (after 2 minutes of burn-in running twice to get 100% CPU)

Also, I have some stability problems like the sytem hanging in games, which I figure, is probably due to the temperature.

Could somebody please tell me what temperature should I be expecting and what should I do to correct the problem. Thanks

Xzibit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
I don't mean to contradict you but the heatsink didn't have any thermal interface to it. As for the case cooling I didn't know it needed those case fans, altought I have a Enermax 450 W with double fan. Is that sufficient ?

My MB temperature is about 36 ( when case open) and about 40 when closed. Is that too hot ? And finally what temp should I expect for the CPU ( I figure 40 at idle and 46-48 at full load but I just want to make sure)

Xzibit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
It is a retail box cpu and I'm sure it didn't have a thermal inteface material unless it is invisible. When you talk about a TIM you mean a little pad? I didn't have that the surface is all copper. the CPU did came with a seringe which I didn't used (took the AS III).

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
As someone else has already explained, it is likely that you have problems with the mating surfaces of the heat sink and cpu chip.

The first thing to do is double check that the Heat Sink you have is rated for your CPU.

If it is, take off the heat sink and clean it thorougly with rubbing alcohol, make sure there is no thermal compound anywhere on the sink. Also make sure you do not have a pre-aplied thermal interface on that heat sink, if it's there it will look either like a small square of foil with a black material underneath or a patch of rubbery stuff. Remove that also.

Now take the CPU out of the socket and clean it with alcohol and a q tip... get all the heat sink grease off it as well.

Both CPU and HSF should be cleaner than new. Both should be bare metal surfaces, at this point.

Now put a small spot of heat sink grease about the size of a match head on the cpu. Tap it out across the entire top metal surface of the cpu. It really doesn't matter which heat sink grease you use. What matters is that you have a <b>very thin and even layer</b> across the entire heat transfer plate of the cpu. More is not better.

Next put the CPU back into it's socket and make sure that when you close the ZIF lock, the CPU is sitting flat against the socket... this is very important to getting a good contact with the heat sink.

Now, put the heatsink back on... If it has a step on the bottom be sure the high part of the step is over the cam box of the ZIF socket. Backwards spells disaster.

Do up the clips for the heat sink and give it a very gentle rotary twist back and forth with your hand. Don't force it, just make sure it's well seated and locked into place.

If you would like illustrated instructions on how to apply heat sink grease, you can find them here: <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>

Finally, when you restart your computer, immediately jump into the BIOS and be sure the frequencies and voltages are set right for your particular chip. Over voltage == more heat. Overclocking == even more heat.

And as has already been suggested, you probably do need to significantly increase the airflow through your case. At least ad an exhaust fan on the back.

Your final temps should be in the high 30s or low 40s.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your CPU is running too hot, possibly because of your case temps and restricted air flow.

Get a bigger case or add more fans

The 3.06 comes with a new heat sink with a copper base plate and aluminum fins. The fan is slightly bigger too. There is no TIM on the heat sink, you are supplied with compound in the retail box. I think it is shintsu

Your CPU should be 44c or cooler normally

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

Xzibit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
Could it be that I'm not putting enough thermal compound
I tried putting a very thin layer like most people told me too (and following instructions from the AS website) Results : 57 idle and 67 under load. WORSE ! I tried putting a little more (49 iddle 57-60 under load)

And to reinforce my beliefs look at the intel manual or check this page. http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/intnotes.htm

figure 8 is pretty convincing. They ask to put the whole seringe (of shin etsu microsi) in the middle and compress the material. I don't know what to think now. What's your take on this

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All the above should work, as long as you have a thin layer on the CPU.

There might be a problem with the diode reading too high too. Did you check other P4G8X threads for similar problem?

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Have you followed the idea of ventilating your case better? I can just imagine you sitting there with a R9700 Pro, P4 3.06G and fast harddrive running in a microATX case in a room being heated to 30oC. If this is you, sort it out! Your heatsink cant cool if it isnt supplied with cool air.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

Xzibit

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003
I tried everything. Here are the results :

Open Case : 47-48 C iddle - 60 heavy load MB temp is 33
Closed case : 51 idle - 62 heavy load MB temp : 37
Open Case with a huge fan blowing air :
44 idle - 59 heavy load MB temp is 23-25

Yeah it helps a little, but not enough for my taste.
Intel says for the 3.06 a ambient temp of under 36 should be perfect. They just don't say what an average CPU temp should be at idle and under load

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With your machine up to temp touch the heatsink, if it is cool to barely warm your mobo is reporting wrong. If it is hot then you have a problem. The fins should not reach 100F normally.

pooka

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I own a p4 2.53...not my first either....it was running hot...160f and thats the top for it...I ordered a copper heat sink for it and after it came in I discovered I had a clamp on the fan that wasn't holding right, i fixed it after the fact and with the new copper which i didn't need and the top temp with load is now 116f..man did I all most lose a good chip ...gezzzzz...look to make sure its clamped down and stays that way...

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
IF max junction temp. is 69 and hes in the 60's....man id worry.......

i think u should go otu and buy urself a new heatsink bud....get one that has an all copper heatsink.....u need to bring those temps down!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>