How to get a non-English Windows with a new laptop bought ..

Dell said they don't sell them non-English. Perhaps MS provides a way to
download a replacement OS in the locale desired from the Internet? In the
worst case, i could think whether i want to pay for it, but not if costs
several hundred.

P.S. This is for my relatives.

Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
cannot change it from one language version to another. You'll need
to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".

Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
and create a dual-boot configuration.

Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2820­89

Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
http://www.worldlanguage.com/

A good third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"ultranet" wrote:

| Dell said they don't sell them non-English. Perhaps MS provides a way to
| download a replacement OS in the locale desired from the Internet? In the
| worst case, i could think whether i want to pay for it, but not if costs
| several hundred.
|
| P.S. This is for my relatives.

MS will not provide you with a non-English version. You will have to buy a
full Retail version at a local store where you relatives live.

Depending on which Dell site you dealt with, you will only get that
language. Dell in Canada will sell a French version.

"ultranet" <ultranet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dell said they don't sell them non-English. Perhaps MS provides a way to
> download a replacement OS in the locale desired from the Internet? In the
> worst case, i could think whether i want to pay for it, but not if costs
> several hundred.
>
> P.S. This is for my relatives.

Do you guys know how much a full retail version would cost? Can i buy it
online from MS site? I guys i might end up having to buy it retail in the
country that language is spoken in...

The bad part is: i don't have an option to not buy English XP OS with my new
laptop, cause it's gonna get pre-installed. This effectively means i will
have to pay for it twice.

P.S. This is really huge limitation, IMHO.

Thanks.

ultranet wrote:
> Do you guys know how much a full retail version would cost? Can i buy
> it online from MS site? I guys i might end up having to buy it retail
> in the country that language is spoken in...
>
> The bad part is: i don't have an option to not buy English XP OS with
> my new laptop, cause it's gonna get pre-installed. This effectively
> means i will have to pay for it twice.
>
> P.S. This is really huge limitation, IMHO.
>
> Thanks.

Buy a laptop from an OEM that does your language. You are not limited
to buy a laptop from Dell.

--
Peace!
Kurt

"kurttrail" wrote:

> Buy a laptop from an OEM that does your language. You are not limited
> to buy a laptop from Dell.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
Compaq doesn't do other langs either. So that means i have to find a latop
manufacturer in that country. I don't even know if they have any. They have
PC makers, but i'm not sure about laptops.

ultranet wrote:
> "kurttrail" wrote:
>
>> Buy a laptop from an OEM that does your language. You are not
>> limited to buy a laptop from Dell.
>>
> Compaq doesn't do other langs either. So that means i have to find a
> latop manufacturer in that country. I don't even know if they have
> any. They have PC makers, but i'm not sure about laptops.

Time to do a little research. There are MANY other OEMs other than the
big slugs.