Sign in with
Your question

What to look for in LCD monitors?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 26, 2009 7:07:47 PM

I'm thinking about replacing my CRT with a LCD. When I look at the different ones and look at the specs and I'm not sure what to look for. What contrast ratio should I be looking for? Display colors?

I'm looking for a monitor that does 1080P that is about 21 inches or so. I use this pc mainly for gaming as well as the occasional movie. Which brands are the top choices under $250 or so?

More about : lcd monitors

November 29, 2009 3:46:54 AM

Look for a Full HD monitor with a DVI or HDMI connection and you should be ok. :D 
m
l
November 29, 2009 8:59:14 AM

Go to a shop thqat has them if possible and have a look. However for that price I doubt you will get something that compares to your crt.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2009 1:36:25 AM

Strangestranger, in what way? Better or worse than my CRT? It's has a bunch of lines running down one side and also makes a high pitch sound sometimes when the screen has a bright color picture or webpage on.
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 6, 2009 6:51:00 AM

For image quality, look for a monitor with a viewing angle of 176 degrees or higher. This means that the monitor has an IPS or VA panel, which look significantly nicer than the cheap TN panels. Unfortunately, the only one I know of that's near your price range that has this is the Dell 2209WA (which is an excellent monitor, but not quite 1080p).

Aside from that, I second strangestranger's suggestion to take a look at a shop. Specs really don't tell you anything about how a monitor looks, and taking a look at them in person gives you a better idea about which one looks best to you.
m
l
December 13, 2009 7:23:31 PM

cjl, well regardless of price, what monitor would you suggest that is around 21-23 inches and 1080p?
m
l
December 15, 2009 8:33:38 AM

I would recommend this one, I have 4 Samsung monitors at home and have had no problems with them what so ever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You guys in the US seem to have different model numbers to the UK but spec looks identical. It's a great monitor for the price.

Full HD (1920x1080)
16:9 aspect ratio
23"
Decent blacks and colour
5ms response is more than adequate.
Less than $250
m
l
December 15, 2009 9:32:08 AM

Go for a HD LCD Monitor ,With maximum higher resolution,If u have small resolution ,every thing looks ugly,

I agree with clinomaniac, Go for a samsung,I also have a samsung 2233sw 1080P HD LCD,Its super and crystal clear!
I likes it very much!
m
l
December 15, 2009 11:42:54 AM

If you're going to go from CRT to LCD like i am going very soon. The only models worth looking at in my opinion are 120 Hz displays. 60 Hz is quite... bad... the flow of the picture is important while gaming. 120 Hz displays are really fast and have practically no ghosting.

Downside is there aren't any 120 Hz 1080p displays out there yet (atleast to my knowledge). And you lose some picture quality compared to similarly priced 60 Hz monitors. So you have to sacrifice something in favor of another feature. I really don't care SO much about picture quality because i am watching my movies from 82" canvas...

I consider myself a quite serious gamer and can't stand 60 Hz picture and its not so smooth experience. Here are the two ViewSonic VX2268wm and Samsung SyncMaster 2233rz. Here you can compare displays agains each other or any other display. Pick any 60 Hz monitor and it will lose to a 120 Hz in terms of ghosting.
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 15, 2009 6:31:55 PM

peefyloo said:
cjl, well regardless of price, what monitor would you suggest that is around 21-23 inches and 1080p?

Ignoring price, I'd get the Dell U2410. 1920x1200, 24", gorgeous picture quality.
m
l
December 23, 2009 9:15:46 AM

Does the Dell U2410 perform well with games? Seems like it is a monitor tailored more towards the graphic artist type, from what I've read. Do you have one? I'd be curious to here from U2410 users on it's gaming performance/ghosting.

I'm on the hunt for a new LCD also in the 1920x1080 range, but is it just me or are all the stands borderline garbage on the current crop of LCDs? I've been in Costco, Best Buy, and Office Depot looking at monitors lately and none of the stands seem worthy of the gorgeous monitors attached to them.

I'm was leaning towards the Samsung P2370, and although the stand is purdy, it doesn't (seem to) tilt and the monitor leans forward. Very wobbly! Many of the other models I looked at were likewise lacking in the sturdiness department. Seems strange I would harp on something like the monitor stand, but for crying out loud for this kind of money, you'd expect the thing to be sturdy at least. Okay, rant off ;) 
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 23, 2009 7:44:31 PM

I don't have one, but I have the predecessor (the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP). It's pretty good for gaming - no noticeable ghosting, great picture, high res. Some people complain about its relatively high input lag though, which has never bothered me. Regardless, they've fixed that in the U2410 (which has an input lag of ~10ms instead of ~40 on the 2408).

Oh, and the stand is great too. Much better than most.
m
l
January 7, 2010 11:44:03 PM

Looking at your Dell rec. as well as the Samsung. What is the difference between the Samsung P2370 and the XL2370 that cnet gave "Editors Choice" Also rated highly by pureoverclock. The ASUS 23" and 24" ,VH236H and VH246H have fairly good reviews and great prices($180 & $220). I like the looks of the XL2379, but the $280+ is abit steep.
Glad I found this Forum. You seem to be very helpful. To me the Monitor is extremely important. Why build a super gaming system only to be disappointed by a sub-par playing surface? :( 
m
l
!