USB Controller not loading

I have had a IBM ThinkCentre M50 for well over a year and the USB controllers
and peripherals worked fine. I just reformatted my hard drive and
reinstalled Win XP Pro to kill a nasty virus and the USB controller is not
with a yellow exclamation mark. I have uninstalled it several times but “add
new hardware� does not find a driver automatically or manually on the Win XP
cd, (it is pre-SP1 and it is not an OEM version). I can’t find a drive on
line or information in knowledge base. I have even tried loading various USB
devices to see if they might correct the problem, but no luck. I have tried
upgrading to SP2 but SP2 wont load (access denied).

Anyone have any ideas on:

1) where to find the driver on the CD (what file name or cab)
2) where to get the driver on line, or
3) any other ways to fix the problem
4 answers Last reply
More about controller loading

    Visit the support website of the manufacturer of your computer
    or motherboard and download the motherboard chipset drivers
    and install them.

    If you have an Intel processor and chipset:

    Intel Chipset Installation:
    http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/index.htm

    General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Charlie" wrote:

    | I have had a IBM ThinkCentre M50 for well over a year and the USB controllers
    | and peripherals worked fine. I just reformatted my hard drive and
    | reinstalled Win XP Pro to kill a nasty virus and the USB controller is not
    | with a yellow exclamation mark. I have uninstalled it several times but “add
    | new hardware� does not find a driver automatically or manually on the Win XP
    | cd, (it is pre-SP1 and it is not an OEM version). I can’t find a drive on
    | line or information in knowledge base. I have even tried loading various USB
    | devices to see if they might correct the problem, but no luck. I have tried
    | upgrading to SP2 but SP2 wont load (access denied).
    |
    | Anyone have any ideas on:
    |
    | 1) where to find the driver on the CD (what file name or cab)
    | 2) where to get the driver on line, or
    | 3) any other ways to fix the problem

    If these ports were USB 2, you must install SP 1, or SP 2. This should fix
    this. If you can not install the SP 2, then you will have to contact
    Microsoft so as to see if your CD Key is part of the "banned" lists.

    "Charlie" <CharlieWilliams@CleanAirAction.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    >I have had a IBM ThinkCentre M50 for well over a year and the USB
    >controllers
    > and peripherals worked fine. I just reformatted my hard drive and
    > reinstalled Win XP Pro to kill a nasty virus and the USB controller is not
    > Controller"
    > with a yellow exclamation mark. I have uninstalled it several times but
    > "add
    > new hardware" does not find a driver automatically or manually on the Win
    > XP
    > cd, (it is pre-SP1 and it is not an OEM version). I can't find a drive on
    > line or information in knowledge base. I have even tried loading various
    > USB
    > devices to see if they might correct the problem, but no luck. I have
    > tried
    > upgrading to SP2 but SP2 wont load (access denied).
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas on:
    >
    > 1) where to find the driver on the CD (what file name or cab)
    > 2) where to get the driver on line, or
    > 3) any other ways to fix the problem

    How or who would one contact at MS?

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > If these ports were USB 2, you must install SP 1, or SP 2. This should fix
    > this. If you can not install the SP 2, then you will have to contact
    > Microsoft so as to see if your CD Key is part of the "banned" lists.
    >

    > "Charlie" <CharlieWilliams@CleanAirAction.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > >I have had a IBM ThinkCentre M50 for well over a year and the USB
    > >controllers
    > > and peripherals worked fine. I just reformatted my hard drive and
    > > reinstalled Win XP Pro to kill a nasty virus and the USB controller is not
    > > Controller"
    > > with a yellow exclamation mark. I have uninstalled it several times but
    > > "add
    > > new hardware" does not find a driver automatically or manually on the Win
    > > XP
    > > cd, (it is pre-SP1 and it is not an OEM version). I can't find a drive on
    > > line or information in knowledge base. I have even tried loading various
    > > USB
    > > devices to see if they might correct the problem, but no luck. I have
    > > tried
    > > upgrading to SP2 but SP2 wont load (access denied).
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas on:
    > >
    > > 1) where to find the driver on the CD (what file name or cab)
    > > 2) where to get the driver on line, or
    > > 3) any other ways to fix the problem

    Is Your Copy of Windows Genuine?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    Two Ways to Find Out if your Copy of Windows is Genuine
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

    Genuine Windows FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    Please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of Microsoft Download Center
    pages to request assistance directly from Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ContactDownloads

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP