Hardcano Probe placement?

Goatface

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
I'm about to purchase either the Thermaltake Hardcano 2 or 3 HDD cooler, Although not for cooling my HDD as I have a coolermaster case and the HDD is better place where it is. However I want the Temp displays and like the Themaltake look to accompany my Volcano 7+. I have a p4 2.4b and am nervous about putting the probe between the pins as suggested. In fact I dont think the length of the actual probe will allow me too any way unlike the AMD chips. Where else is the best place for me to stick the probe. Apparently it is thin enough to go next to the Die on the CPU board under the Heatsink. Also a bit nervous of that. Any experience that can be shared here on best placement for the probe for as near to accurate CPU temp as poss???

Thanks in advance.

-= LtZ GoAtFaCe =-

crobb100

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
Hi.

I don't think it would be possible to put a probe between the "pins" of a P4, as there aren't any contacts with significant length on the underside of the processor. Placing a probe under would result in loss of contact. I have a Digital Doc probe directly next to the processor -up against the side of it actually-under the overlapping surface of my Swiftech cooler. It reads about 3-4 degrees cooler than the AsusProbe temps (but who knows how accurate they are) as well as temps reported in bios. I used thermal tape to secure it in place. The wire runs horizontally from the thermistor until out from under the HS then goes to the remainder of the cables.

<font color=red>I need to OC....just to read the posts faster!</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Asus probes are notorius for being very inaccurate, I would trust the external probe much more. And no, you are wrong, it is very possible (and common) to run the wires of the probe through the pins of the processor (Athlon's and Pentiums). All you have to do is make sure they run through different paths, and if you're so worried about the height difference, then put something to level it out on the other side of the socket. I personally have tried using my Vantec probe below and above the packaging of the processor, and the temperature results are all within 0 to 1 degrees celsius

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

TRENDING THREADS