SlipStream Question

I have no problems creating a slipstream for SP2 and running it but i would
like to find a way to customize the install a little bit more. I have about
120 clients that i need to push XP pro Sp2 too. We are going to be using an
SMS server to do this. I have pushed service packs in the past with this and
it works like a charm however all previous service packs did not include the
firewall client.

What i need to do is the following:

Slipstream a new version of SP2 or use another medium to accomplish this
that will create a sp2 install without user interaction and without the
firewall client enabled.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
4 answers Last reply
More about slipstream question

    Windows XP SP2 Slipstreaming
    http://www.petri.co.il/windows_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "RTemple" wrote:

    > I have no problems creating a slipstream for SP2 and running it but i would
    > like to find a way to customize the install a little bit more. I have about
    > 120 clients that i need to push XP pro Sp2 too. We are going to be using an
    > SMS server to do this. I have pushed service packs in the past with this and
    > it works like a charm however all previous service packs did not include the
    > firewall client.
    >

    > What i need to do is the following:
    >
    > Slipstream a new version of SP2 or use another medium to accomplish this
    > that will create a sp2 install without user interaction and without the
    > firewall client enabled.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

    You should be looking at "OPK" setups and SysPreps. Slipstreaming is
    usually used in preparing the new CD with the latest Service Pack installed.
    Microsoft OPK and Sysprep would then be used to "push" out these to the 120
    clients.

    RTemple wrote:

    > I have no problems creating a slipstream for SP2 and running it but i would
    > like to find a way to customize the install a little bit more. I have about
    > 120 clients that i need to push XP pro Sp2 too. We are going to be using an
    > SMS server to do this. I have pushed service packs in the past with this and
    > it works like a charm however all previous service packs did not include the
    > firewall client.
    >

    > What i need to do is the following:
    >
    > Slipstream a new version of SP2 or use another medium to accomplish this
    > that will create a sp2 install without user interaction and without the
    > firewall client enabled.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
    Hi,

    An alternative to slipstreaming:

    You can set a couple of registry values that disables the firewall
    (you can set them before or after you have installed SP2).

    Then you can install SP2 unattended on top of an already running
    WinXP OS e.g. like this:

    WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

    The VBScript below sets the two registry values needed to disable
    the WinXP SP2 firewall.

    '--------------------8<----------------------
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
    & "\DomainProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

    oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
    & "\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

    MsgBox "Done, please reboot computer", vbSystemModal+vbInformation

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    The registry settings are documented here:

    WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
    Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

    Some other links with additional information:

    See "Deployment Information" here
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

    and

    Deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/spdeploy.mspx

    (E.g. if you have Active directory, this one may interest you:
    "Scenario 4: Using Windows Installer and Group Policy to install the
    service pack")

    Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngintro.mspx

    PolicySettings.xls is a handy spreadsheet to have:

    Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows XP Professional
    Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ef3a35c0-19b9-4acc-b5be-9b7dab13108e&displaylang=en

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks for your replies they have been a great help. I will test them in my
    test enviornemnt to see how they work.

Windows XP