I have no problems creating a slipstream for SP2 and running it but i would
like to find a way to customize the install a little bit more. I have about
120 clients that i need to push XP pro Sp2 too. We are going to be using an
SMS server to do this. I have pushed service packs in the past with this and
it works like a charm however all previous service packs did not include the
firewall client.

What i need to do is the following:

Slipstream a new version of SP2 or use another medium to accomplish this
that will create a sp2 install without user interaction and without the
firewall client enabled.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Byte

Windows XP SP2 Slipstreaming
http://www.petri.co.il/windows_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"RTemple" wrote:

> I have no problems creating a slipstream for SP2 and running it but i would
> like to find a way to customize the install a little bit more. I have about
> 120 clients that i need to push XP pro Sp2 too. We are going to be using an
> SMS server to do this. I have pushed service packs in the past with this and
> it works like a charm however all previous service packs did not include the
> firewall client.
>

> What i need to do is the following:
>
> Slipstream a new version of SP2 or use another medium to accomplish this
> that will create a sp2 install without user interaction and without the
> firewall client enabled.
>
> Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

You should be looking at "OPK" setups and SysPreps. Slipstreaming is
usually used in preparing the new CD with the latest Service Pack installed.
Microsoft OPK and Sysprep would then be used to "push" out these to the 120
clients.

RTemple wrote:

> I have no problems creating a slipstream for SP2 and running it but i would
> like to find a way to customize the install a little bit more. I have about
> 120 clients that i need to push XP pro Sp2 too. We are going to be using an
> SMS server to do this. I have pushed service packs in the past with this and
> it works like a charm however all previous service packs did not include the
> firewall client.
>

> What i need to do is the following:
>
> Slipstream a new version of SP2 or use another medium to accomplish this
> that will create a sp2 install without user interaction and without the
> firewall client enabled.
>
> Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
Hi,

An alternative to slipstreaming:

You can set a couple of registry values that disables the firewall
(you can set them before or after you have installed SP2).

Then you can install SP2 unattended on top of an already running
WinXP OS e.g. like this:

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

The VBScript below sets the two registry values needed to disable
the WinXP SP2 firewall.

'--------------------8<----------------------
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\DomainProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

MsgBox "Done, please reboot computer", vbSystemModal+vbInformation

'--------------------8<----------------------

The registry settings are documented here:

WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

Some other links with additional information:

See "Deployment Information" here
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

and

Deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/spdeploy.mspx

(E.g. if you have Active directory, this one may interest you:
"Scenario 4: Using Windows Installer and Group Policy to install the
service pack")

Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngintro.mspx

PolicySettings.xls is a handy spreadsheet to have:

Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ef3a35c0-19b9-4acc-b5be-9b7dab13108e&displaylang=en

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Thanks for your replies they have been a great help. I will test them in my
test enviornemnt to see how they work.