In Pictures: 20 First-Person Shooters That Need a Makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Can you please completely do away with the read more button. It's completely useless. If I want to stop reading in the middle, I'm perfectly capable of stopping myself. The read more button is nothing more than an annoyance. I like the slideshow type articles you've had, but the read more just needs to die.

Ok I was able to make it readable, but only by block EVERY flash add on the page.

Seriously toms, your a tech site, if your going to use flash ad's then you need to be smart about their placement and usage.

G

Rise of the Triad was pretty cool. Man I remember playing at some point most of these games at LAN parties. Our LANs revolved around Quake but I remember one year some MIT guys had an alpha of Hexen II and that was pretty cool to mess with. Seeing Redneck Rampage, King Pin, even the South Park game brings back memories.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
For the record, MechWarrior didn't become property of Microsoft until the fourth (and last) game in the series. It was published by Activision for the first two and Microprose for the third installment. Not that I care about Shogo... I hadn't even heard about it intil this slide show.

Of the above games personally I most care about Hexen (but not Heretic) and Doom, and somewhat care about Wolfenstein 3D and Descent.

There are quite a few old games I'd like remade, but most of them are not FPS (we have plenty of those being published to this day...). I'd love to see remakes or new installments of Sierra's lines of adventure games (Space Quest, King's Quest, Quest for Glory, etc), Master of Magic, X-COM 1, 2 and 3 (but not the later abominations), the original Dune (the one based on the movie, not Dune 2 that started the RTS craze, though I liked that as well), BlueByte's Battle Isle 1, 2, and 3 (but not 4), Lords of Magic, Starflight, Alien Legacy, Raptor, Tyrian, The Incredible Machine, Lemmings and quite a few more, though these come to mind right now.

No ads problem, Firefox with Flashblock addon. Nice article and yes better graphics would be nice but the game themselves even with that level of graphics stood the test of time (replayed wolfenstien 3d as recently as a year ago).

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
^+1 still have some of those sierra games (inc leisure suit larry). My personal faves I would like to see made: ultima underworld I (stygian abyss) and II, might and magic 1 and 2 (4-6 felt the same), and that bruce lee game on commadore 64.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]hey toms when i click "read more" the entire text body disappears and is replaced by ads[/citation]

Hey guys,

Just reported this bug. Not sure what happened, but clearly something is broken in the picture story format. Asking for help from the French team as we speak. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Chris

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
this was a great article. i've forgotten about many of these games until just now when i read this article. thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane.

Well technically Doom I / II / Hexen / Heretic / Duke 3D have had "remakes". The source code for those engines was released a long time ago and several people have since added OpenGL / D3D support to those games. GLDoom, GLQuage, Boom, Doom Legacy to name a few, even some GL Duke3D engines. Duke3D got a high resolution pack that was made by the fans, does wonders to the game. Advanced lighting and bloom / transformation effects have been added.

I second the comment on remaking Masters of Magic and hopefully Masters of Orion. Those 4X games kicked a$$ and were responsible for hundreds of hours of enjoyment from myself and many I knew. I ~STILL~ play MOM in DosBox, that's how epic that game was.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
Nice to Know that someone else remembers Blood (I want to donate some blood... somebody elses...) and Shadow Warrior (Do you want to wash Wang or do you want to watch Wang wash Wang) besides me...

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Blood was maybe my favorite multiplayer game. But is it just me, or is the Blood screenshot the only one the shows up? The text changed, but the screenshot/picture doesn't. Also same "Read more" problem as the others--it just makes the text disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.