Status
Not open for further replies.

originunkn0wn

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hello Community.

I am wondering what your opinions are about purchasing a gaming laptop. From my reading (toms hardware; Anandtech; notebookcheck) I cant help but wonder if purchasing a new gaming laptop right now is the worst possible time.

It seems the 280m's in SLI can not be powered with any i7 cpu, as well as them costing 3x as much in SLI as a desktop GPU with double the performance.

as well it seems that there is so much new SSD technology with TRIM coming down the line, that purchasing any SSD at the moment seems futile.

This brings me to the anticipated arrandale cpu that is supposed to solve the problems of not being able to have SLI's with the new Intel cpus.

So I am wondering, is now a really bad time to buy? It seems to me that there are significant upgrades just around the corner and one should wait for these to come down the lines before purchasing.

It seems like significant cpu and SSD upgrades should hit anytime and are well worth waiting. ....

... or is this a constant loop of always waiting for the next thing to come out??

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I would wait till February; hopefully by then Asus should bring out a powerful gaming machine. Their prices are generally much better than Clevo/Dell. And they have much better warranty.

As for TRIM, Intel (along with some other manfutures) already provide this. According to some review, after a firmware update of Intel SSD the performance was increased by as much as 40% :eek: . So yes this is a very important feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS