Laptop and ATV

I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use
with my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to
make a cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks
these days are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
padding/dampening to prevent damage?

Kirk

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:

> I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
> general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use
> with my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to
> make a cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks
> these days are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
> padding/dampening to prevent damage?

The padding isn't gonna do much as far as protecting your hard drive
from internal trauma... It'll just protect the system from scratches.

Personally, I think you're looking for trouble.

Notan

just buy a handheld gps or a palm pilot with a gps module. Laptop is
way too fragile to take on an ATV

Wayne

"'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
> I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
> general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use with
> my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to make a
> cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks these days
> are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
> padding/dampening to prevent damage?
>
> Kirk

I would think that there are far more considerations than just having a
padded pouch.
You will be subjecting your laptop to significant G-forces, regardless of
the padding. In addition, heat and humidity will be changing as you go from
location to location. Dust and dirt will also be an issue, even in a well
designed pouch (unless it is waterproof and airtight). These factors in and
of themselves can damage or destroy even a well built laptop.
While you are right in that many new hard drives are built to withstand more
"abuse" than older drives, this protection is very limited and only under
specific conditions.
With the kind of forces you will be subjecting your laptop to, I would
expect than any laptop would have a relatively short lifespan. Components of
the motherboard will suffer the most...internal connections that depend on
friction will also be affected.
My advice? buy a GPS unit that is designed for the use you stated. There
are many out there. They are designed for the kind of abuse that
off-roading and trial riding can deliver.

Bobby

wayne wrote:
> just buy a handheld gps or a palm pilot with a gps module. Laptop is
> way too fragile to take on an ATV
>
> Wayne

I definitely agree; avoid moving parts (eg. HDD's) as much as possible
when in bumpy situations.

BigJim

you will need a dampening field around the hard drive to protect it.

Notan said the following on 6/11/2005 1:09 PM:
> 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:
>
>>I've got an Inspirion 8500. The question is relative to laptops in
>>general. I'm planning on taking my laptop along on ATV rides to use
>>with my GPS to show trails, etc. I'm planning on using some 3" foam to
>>make a cradle to hold the laptop in while moving. I believe the disks
>>these days are pretty bullet proof but is this going to be sufficient
>>padding/dampening to prevent damage?
>

> The padding isn't gonna do much as far as protecting your hard drive
> from internal trauma... It'll just protect the system from scratches.
>
> Personally, I think you're looking for trouble.
>
> Notan

The unit will be off. I see it as no worse than bouncing on your truck
seat on a bumpy road. Think that would kill your drive? I don't. When
off the heads are parked off the platter locked down.

Kirk

Generally this applies to most laptops. There is one option that you
might consider, a milspec Tough Book. As far as I know these are the most
durable laptops available, with a price to match, <sigh>. A number of
outdoor enthusiast are using them in some pretty rugged environments,
orienteering, small craft open ocean sailing, etc. It goes without saying
that they are in use by the military to include the Airborne and special ops
communities. Size wise, they are bigger than a handheld but smaller than
most laptops.

KC