forwardrefresh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
I have heard that Intel is planning to switch to an 800Mhz Front side bus for their upcoming processors. What I am wondering is if anyone knows if the 533 Mhz bus will be completely dropped. Intel just recently announced that they will have a new 3.2 GHz HT enabled 800Mhz FSB processor. Does anyone know whether Intel will offer any new processors greater that 3.06 Mhz with the 533 FSB or is that setup gone? I was hoping to upgrade my system in the future by just replacing the processor but that seems like a longshot now.. Anyone have any good news for me? :)

eden

Champion
In the past, 400MHZ FSB was initially planned to be dropped by the 2.2GHZ Pentium 4s, but later on Intel was graceful, and gave many the upgrade path to 2.6GHZ.
Personally, when it comes to Pentium 4, it's just better to get the new FSB ones with a new chipset, as it benefits largely from bandwidth upgrades, while the lower FSB, high clocked Pentium 4s will lack value overall.
With AthlonXPs, it has little benefit to use the 166MHZ FSB, so if you upgrade to the XP2600+, from say, an XP1600+, you really don't need to have a new motherboard just for 166MHZ usage, it'll be slightly less performing, but nonetheless a substantial upgrade.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
My worries is about overclocking headroom. At 200MHz DDR, you're really pushing DDR SDRAM to its limits. Overclockers will not be able to get much more outta that. Which means the days of 80% overclocks are over pretty much. You could always get a 533FSB P4 and overclock it I guess, but with the exception of the 3.06, none of them have HT enabled, and I don't know about you but that's primarily the reason I'm waiting. The only HT-enabled P4's except the 3.06 seems to be the FSB800's. So it comes down to quite a dilemna for me. Either get an HT-enabled processor and not overclock as much, or get a non-HT enabled processor and oc the hell outta it. I think I maybe opting for the former.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

eden

Champion
I've been hoping a lot that QBM DDR would pick up. Such technology would allow us to revert to low clocked DDR on Dual Channel, and be able to overclock far. As for the 200MHZ FSB, it's up to Intel to make sure their GTL+ signaling is up to date and ready for 1GHZ operations.
True though, the overclocking on future 800MTs Pentium 4s is gonna be severly chopped down. It's not like you can get a very hot 3.2GHZ far anyways, it's already gonna be chugging over 100W by then.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel likes to offer an upgrade path, just to keep certain high end customers happy. I think they'll release so more "533" bus processors, but probably only a couple increments higher than the 3.06, and perhaps well after the release of "800" bus processors.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
even on QBM if is far from be ready

It will need DDR 400 QBM or any name they got.It will be the same 200 mghz ram cell that run to the max

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.