Sign in with
Your question

Acer Aspire 4520 power problem - project

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
December 28, 2009 4:15:40 PM

Hi,

I have a good looking but not working Acer Aspire 4520 laptop. It has Vista and AMD CPU

After struggling for the last year with the wireless not working now it kinda died. Problem is it would not stay on for more than 30 seconds.

Here is the screen it shows:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vlkf2TlYHt3YQlvw24...

Sometimes it does not even get to show this error message.

So is there anything I can do to revive it?

Since I already bought another laptop I was thinking to make the Acer laptop an Ubuntu project. I do not know too much about the ins and outs of computers but I know how to use a screwdriver, install drivers and follow instructions. Here I am asking for help and suggestions.

What would you do?

Thank you

a b D Laptop
December 28, 2009 8:34:20 PM

When it was working, did it run hot? Acer's are notorious for running hot, which is why I'm thinking that it very well could have fried a few vital components-circuits on the motherboard.
m
l
December 28, 2009 9:46:03 PM

yes it was. However when stopped working it was ON for about 2 minutes.
Do you think this may be the problem?
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2009 10:26:54 PM

as you show in the picture,system configuration it's telling you to get into the setup,have a look in there.
m
l
January 4, 2010 11:04:34 PM

there are 2 issues with that:

1. It won't stay ON for long enough to get into the setup
2. BIOS settings are limited for this ACER
m
l
January 4, 2010 11:21:32 PM

Is the battery fully charged?
what was the last thing(s) you've done before it happened?
m
l
January 5, 2010 8:42:20 PM

It was on AC power not on battery.

Last thing I was doing...that day was turning it ON. The day before probably automatic updates.
m
l
January 5, 2010 9:14:38 PM

laszloadrian said:
It was on AC power not on battery.

Last thing I was doing...that day was turning it ON. The day before probably automatic updates.

Please try the following:
Unplug any devices you have attached to it,eg wireless receiver,bluetooth....and restart it.
as it tells you to get into the setup,press F2 to get into bios and see if it allows you to load the default bios settings.
Then save changes and exit.
If that does not work i guess there must be a power problem with it.
How old is it? you have prob used it always connected on AC, so you overcharged it.

m
l
!