Anytime I search a Help topic in any of my Office 2003 apps, I get over
thirty HHCTRL (source) events in Event Viewer>Application. I noticed these
messages a day or two after I ran the Disk Cleanup Utility. I'm wondering if
some Temp file got deleted. I don't think this has anything to do with the
Security Update 896358 issues referred to in MS05-026, because the Help
files always display. This is my gut feeling anyway. Besides I installed
this update in June and never saw these messages until now.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Here's the original message:

The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/hfws.aspx?AssetID=HP011210281033&CTT=1&Origin=EC010227211033&QueryID=lgt7Z4jTP0&respos=1,
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I'm having the same problem, and was wondering if there is any resolution.

"mszablocky" wrote:

> Anytime I search a Help topic in any of my Office 2003 apps, I get over
> thirty HHCTRL (source) events in Event Viewer>Application. I noticed these
> messages a day or two after I ran the Disk Cleanup Utility. I'm wondering if
> some Temp file got deleted. I don't think this has anything to do with the
> Security Update 896358 issues referred to in MS05-026, because the Help
> files always display. This is my gut feeling anyway. Besides I installed
> this update in June and never saw these messages until now.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about this? I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks!
>
> Here's the original message:
>
> The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found.
> The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
> message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
> able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
> Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
> http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/hfws.aspx?AssetID=HP011210281033&CTT=1&Origin=EC010227211033&QueryID=lgt7Z4jTP0&respos=1,
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840.

From ...
C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Local Settings\Temp\Feedback.htm
or
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\Feedback.htm

Finding Help Topics

For tips about how to find the help you need, look at these search tips.

You can also send feedback and look for help on the Web regarding your
question:

"balloon"

Click the Send and go to the Web button below to start your Web browser and
send your question to a site that provides further assistance.

If you like, you can provide us with more feedback about what you were
trying to do in the box below:
----

Guidelines for searching Help
Using complete sentences with the Office Assistant

For best results, type a complete sentence or question in the Office
Assistant — not just a single word or a phrase. For example, to find Help on
how to print more than one copy of a file at a time, type print more than
one copy at a time instead of typing print.
Using the Answer Wizard

Click the Answer Wizard tab to type your question about a Microsoft Office
program and get a list of topics related to your question. If the Answer
Wizard tab isn't visible, click Show .
Using the Index to narrow your scope

To help narrow the scope of Help topics that are displayed, click the Index
tab. If the Index tab isn't visible, click Show . Type a specific word or
phrase, or choose from the list of keywords. You can control the list of
topics found by adding or removing keywords from your search. In this way,
you can narrow your search until only the most relevant topics and keywords
remain in the list.
Displaying programming and non-programming topics

The Office Assistant displays only Help topics about using your Microsoft
Office XP program when you're in the non-programming part of the product. It
displays only programming Help topics when you're in the programming part of
the product.
You can search for both non-programming and programming topics at the same
time.

How?

Make sure you are in the programming part of the product.
Click the Assistant, and then click Options.
On the Options tab, select the Search for both product and programming Help
when programming check box.
=====

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45840

Leads to...

MS05-026: A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358

I have that update, KB896358.

Also see...

After you install security update 896358, content that should be displayed
in a different frame is displayed in the frame that contains the HTML Help
ActiveX control
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896905/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.