TECH: BSD urgent problem - please help

I bought a BSD a couple of days ago.. I changed some rubbers, slingshots and
looks real nice now.
However, after playing for about 1 hour for the first time today, the
pinball doesn't start up anymore :(

I looked everywhere and see no lose cables or connectors. It just went dead
during play.
I checked the manual a bit and noticed that on the cpu board the D19 en D21
leds remain on all the time. D20 is off.

How can I check what is wrong ?

I'm new to pins and am not really a technician so any help is really
appreciated.. I'm desperate here..

Thanks in advance !

if d19 is on then possibly game rom went bad. Is the window on the eprom
covered with a sticker saying game revision, if not then maybe a bit or two
got erased and you will have to reburn or get one. Other possibility is the
square cpu chip needs to be reseated. Use a chip puller and carefully pull
it out and then push it back in evenly and see if that works. Radio shack
might still sell the puller for 8 bucks or so it goes in kitty corner where
the slots are for the legs on puller.

Trin
"pninja005" <pninja005@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I bought a BSD a couple of days ago.. I changed some rubbers, slingshots
>and
> looks real nice now.
> However, after playing for about 1 hour for the first time today, the
> pinball doesn't start up anymore :(
>
> I looked everywhere and see no lose cables or connectors. It just went
> dead
> during play.
> I checked the manual a bit and noticed that on the cpu board the D19 en
> D21
> leds remain on all the time. D20 is off.
>
> How can I check what is wrong ?
>
> I'm new to pins and am not really a technician so any help is really
> appreciated.. I'm desperate here..
>
> Thanks in advance !

http://groups-beta.google.com/­group/rec.games.pinball?hl=en Lots of
instant help here.
http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.ht­m Best pinball repair guide on the net.
http://www.xmission.com/~daina­/pinball.html Check collector register to
find collectors in your area who may be able to help.

I would turn the power off, remove fuses and and check them with an ohm
meter. Check the game's fuses and the ones on the solenoid driver board in
the head. If all good, then check your voltage test points on the solenoid
driver board and see if any are low or missing. LTG :)

"pninja005" <pninja005@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a BSD a couple of days ago.. I changed some rubbers, slingshots
and
> looks real nice now.
> However, after playing for about 1 hour for the first time today, the
> pinball doesn't start up anymore :(
>
> I looked everywhere and see no lose cables or connectors. It just went
dead
> during play.
> I checked the manual a bit and noticed that on the cpu board the D19 en
D21
> leds remain on all the time. D20 is off.
>
> How can I check what is wrong ?
>
> I'm new to pins and am not really a technician so any help is really
> appreciated.. I'm desperate here..
>
> Thanks in advance !

Where are you located. Maybe someone here can take a quick look.

his 5volt light is on, so d19 should not be steady, do what I said.

Trin
<caligallagher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Where are you located. Maybe someone here can take a quick look.

Oh jesus.. this sounds complicated... is there any place where I can buy
another rom ?
I'll go check right away how the rom looks...

Any other possible causes ? I expected something mechanical..

Thanks a lot for your reply !

"Trinity" <nospam@nospam.COM> wrote in message
> if d19 is on then possibly game rom went bad. Is the window on the eprom
> covered with a sticker saying game revision, if not then maybe a bit or
> two got erased and you will have to reburn or get one. Other possibility
> is the square cpu chip needs to be reseated. Use a chip puller and
> carefully pull it out and then push it back in evenly and see if that
> works. Radio shack might still sell the puller for 8 bucks or so it goes
> in kitty corner where the slots are for the legs on puller.
>
> Trin
> "pninja005" <pninja005@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I bought a BSD a couple of days ago.. I changed some rubbers, slingshots
>>and
>> looks real nice now.
>> However, after playing for about 1 hour for the first time today, the
>> pinball doesn't start up anymore :(
>>
>> I looked everywhere and see no lose cables or connectors. It just went
>> dead
>> during play.
>> I checked the manual a bit and noticed that on the cpu board the D19 en
>> D21
>> leds remain on all the time. D20 is off.
>>
>> How can I check what is wrong ?
>>
>> I'm new to pins and am not really a technician so any help is really
>> appreciated.. I'm desperate here..
>>
>> Thanks in advance !

I removed and checked all fuses. No problems detected here.
Volt inputs seem correct too..

The links don't seem to work.. do I need something additional?

Thank you,

"Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
> http://groups-beta.google.com/­group/rec.games.pinball?hl=en Lots of
> instant help here.
> http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.ht­m Best pinball repair guide on the net.
> http://www.xmission.com/~daina­/pinball.html Check collector register to
> find collectors in your area who may be able to help.
>
> I would turn the power off, remove fuses and and check them with an ohm
> meter. Check the game's fuses and the ones on the solenoid driver board in
> the head. If all good, then check your voltage test points on the solenoid
> driver board and see if any are low or missing. LTG :)
>
> "pninja005" <pninja005@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I bought a BSD a couple of days ago.. I changed some rubbers, slingshots
> and
>> looks real nice now.
>> However, after playing for about 1 hour for the first time today, the
>> pinball doesn't start up anymore :(
>>
>> I looked everywhere and see no lose cables or connectors. It just went
> dead
>> during play.
>> I checked the manual a bit and noticed that on the cpu board the D19 en
> D21
>> leds remain on all the time. D20 is off.
>>
>> How can I check what is wrong ?
>>
>> I'm new to pins and am not really a technician so any help is really
>> appreciated.. I'm desperate here..
>>
>> Thanks in advance !

I'll try the links again -

Mr. Pinball for collector register
http://www.xmission.com/~daina/pinball.html

Clay's guide http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

RGP posts http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball?hl=en

See if that works. LTG :)

> I removed and checked all fuses. No problems detected here.
> Volt inputs seem correct too..
>
> The links don't seem to work.. do I need something additional?
>
> Thank you,

I found on ebay a replacement rom and ordered it right away..

I'm located in Gent (Belgium)

I'll keep you all updated... if anyone has any other suggestions please let
me know..

Thanks again !