How I made my Dimension 4600 quiet

Hi!

1. Bought a new power supply, a modified Fortron Source FSP 300.
2. Bought a new fan for the Radeon 9800 (the new fan is running on the 5V
line and
nearly noiseless)
3. slowed down the cpu/case fan a little bit by soldering two 1N4001
diodes into the cable.

Before this action I was not able to hear the seeking noise of the Hitachi
HD, no I can hear it.

costs: 56 euros for the PSU, 20 for the vga-fan and 50 cents for the diodes.

chris

You may incur another cost in the future as a result of slowing down your
case fans.

Rocky

"Christian Steins" <chris66nrw.nospam@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> 1. Bought a new power supply, a modified Fortron Source FSP 300.
> 2. Bought a new fan for the Radeon 9800 (the new fan is running on the 5V
> line and
> nearly noiseless)
> 3. slowed down the cpu/case fan a little bit by soldering two 1N4001
> diodes into the cable.
>
> Before this action I was not able to hear the seeking noise of the Hitachi
> HD, no I can hear it.
>
> costs: 56 euros for the PSU, 20 for the vga-fan and 50 cents for the
diodes.

> chris

Christian Steins wrote
> Before this action I was not able to hear the seeking noise of the Hitachi
> HD, no I can hear it.

I eliminated all HD noise by removing the Dell supplied HD's and
installed a Maxtor PCI-SATA/150 card which connects now to dual Maxtor
Diamonplus 120gb fluid dynamic bearing drives

not only are the Maxtor SATA drives totally (and I mean *totally*
silent), they are ultrafast as according to drivespeed analysis tools
the existing IDE's had seek times of 80-95 milliseconds, the SATA's
have seektimes under 10 milliseconds

another advantage of the Maxtor SATA's are that according to internal
drive temperature readings (available via low-level tools accessing
drive SMART data), they run at about 91-96 F when the previous drives
were 30 degrees hotter

Hi,

> You may incur another cost in the future as a result of slowing down your
> case fans.
>
> Rocky

If in 3 or 5 years my P4 will die because of heat, it will be time to buy a
new
cpu anyway ;-)
But serious: no, the case and cpu temperature has not increased dramatically
after
my de-noising.

chris

"Christian Steins" <chris66nrw.nospam@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> 1. Bought a new power supply, a modified Fortron Source FSP 300.
> 2. Bought a new fan for the Radeon 9800 (the new fan is running on the 5V
> line and
> nearly noiseless)
> 3. slowed down the cpu/case fan a little bit by soldering two 1N4001
> diodes into the cable.

My 4600 was almost silent when I first got it but within about 3 weeks it
was like a leaf blower.

Is it any good with the leaves?

Rocky

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> Is it any good with the leaves?

LOL! The power cord's not long enough for me to try it.

"Christian Steins" <chris66nrw.nospam@gmx.de> wrote in message

>> 3. slowed down the cpu/case fan a little bit by soldering two 1N4001
> diodes into the cable.

I always thought diodes were rectifiers working like a gate rather than
lowering voltage .How do they slow down a fan?

Hi,

> I always thought diodes were rectifiers working like a gate rather than
> lowering voltage .How do they slow down a fan?

Yes, but as a side effect they decrease the voltage by 0.8 V each
(in the pass through direction).
chris

In article <c5dljh$fcqv$1@ID-23160.news.uni-berlin.de>,
chris66nrw.nospam@gmx.de says...
> Hi,
>
> > I always thought diodes were rectifiers working like a gate rather than
> > lowering voltage .How do they slow down a fan?
>
> Yes, but as a side effect they decrease the voltage by 0.8 V each
> (in the pass through direction).
> chris

The drop should not be .8v, you are using too small of a diode and the
increased resistance is causing the loss. The spec's on a 1N4001 are 50v
1A, which should be enough, but I don't normally see a .8v drop in most
circuits.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is it any good with the leaves?
>>

> LOL! The power cord's not long enough for me to try it.

Hook a petrol motor to it and take it outside for a spin.
Your neighbours will be impressed! A Pentium 4 Class blower
that can play MP3 & DVD! Your chances of getting laid have
improved by at least 600%!

Buck

Chris, how did you modify the new power supply?

Did you have to modify so that it would fit inside the Dell case?

I own a Dimension 4500 and might want a quieter power supply like yours.

- Don