Low Cost WUXGA Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMChad

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hi Everyone -- I am new here and glad to find this forum. I have been having a tough time trying to found a lower-cost laptop with a WUXGA screen resolution. What little I have found (such as the HP Pavilion dv8t) is more computing power than I need. If you have a recommendation for a lower cost laptop with 1920x1200 resolution, please let me know.

Below is the completed form I found on this forum...

Thanks!

1_What is your budget? $1300 or less

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17.3 or 18.4"

3_What screen resolution do you want? WUXGA -- 1920 x 1200 -- this is the key requirement.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? 3+ hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Office 2007, photo editing, and Dragon Naturally Speaking

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 500 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM/Writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Open to all suggestions -- perfer name brands: HP, Dell, Acer, ASUS, Sony

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. WUXGA is the key requirement, 3+ batter life also useful.

HepCatChris

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 that is around 5 years old and it has WUXGA (1920x1200) 17-inch display. It may be time to get something new. However, I am having the hardest time even finding any laptops with this resolution. While my CPU and various components may be a little of date or wear, it seems absurd that I can't easily find a laptop with at least as good of display as my (in computer years) ancient system. It's really wierd, but it seems that many laptop makers/sellers bury the info about resolution (but will talk about the screen size easily). It is frustrating to have to drill down through many options hunting around for this info. When I do find it I'm shocked at really strong machines touted as "top of the line" that have really low resolution. It seems it is uncommon and comes at a premium to get a laptop that can handle 1080p, and that still isn't up to par with my old computer!

I don't suppose there is an easy place to find a list of WUXGA laptops out there? Or at least a few suggestions?

It would be nice to get one that was inexpensive, beyond the resolution and a modern CPU I'm not sure I want all the bells and whistles that makers add in before they even start to consider increasing your effective working space (screen resolution). A decent lead on a good WUXGA laptop, even more expensive high featured options, would be appreciated.

joyously

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Even though it's a year later, there aren't many choices still.

I am in the same boat, with a Dell Inspiron 9200 that I bought in 2005. I thought it should be easy to find something better, but except for the modern processors most new laptops are inferior to my old one. I'm considering a barebones purchase or trying to find a refurbished model with the screen I want.

There are a couple of machines that have the 1920x1200, but they have a Core 2 processor. Or they are very expensive! The best one I just found on this site is EuroCom 900F Panther. It's in the expensive category, but it has the screen and a modern processor. Another one is Dell Precision M6500. Not sure why they charge so much but start with the base model and don't add much.

Others with older chips are ASI IQ17, MSI T7500, Clevo M570TU, HP EliteBook 8730w, Lenovo ThinkPad W700.

Oh yeah, you can try to find previous Dell models on their Outlet store. Or buy and older but new computer from ebay or Amazon or the many computer web sites carrying older stock...

Status
Not open for further replies.