Adaptic USB upgrade messed up my drives HELP PLEASE???

I installed a USB 2.0 upgrade in my Dell Dimension 4300 pc and now my
computer does not recognize either my CD drive or my DVD drive. Can
anyone help me to put my computer back to right? I'm going crazy trying
to do it myself, and it seems I'm only entitled to email support with
Adaptic.

thanks in advance.

Beth

Beth, Did you add any drives via the USB? If so windows probably changed
the drive letter assignments. Please reply to the group if that's what you
did. Pat

"bstern" <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>I installed a USB 2.0 upgrade in my Dell Dimension 4300 pc and now my
>computer does not recognize either my CD drive or my DVD drive. Can anyone
>help me to put my computer back to right? I'm going crazy trying to do it
>myself, and it seems I'm only entitled to email support with Adaptic.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Beth

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

If your running Windows ME or XP, do a system restore back to a date prior
to the upgrade.

>Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and pick a date.
(If your running Norton's GoBack either use it to restore or disable it.)

"bstern" <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>I installed a USB 2.0 upgrade in my Dell Dimension 4300 pc and now my
>computer does not recognize either my CD drive or my DVD drive. Can anyone
>help me to put my computer back to right? I'm going crazy trying to do it
>myself, and it seems I'm only entitled to email support with Adaptic.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Beth

"bstern" <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>I installed a USB 2.0 upgrade in my Dell Dimension 4300 pc and now my
>computer does not recognize either my CD drive or my DVD drive. Can anyone
>help me to put my computer back to right? I'm going crazy trying to do it
>myself, and it seems I'm only entitled to email support with Adaptic.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Beth

I put an Adaptec in my 4300 last year the duo-connect firewire/usb 2.0, and
did not have any problems.
Are your drives showing in disk management or device manager?
Could you have loosened a cable when you had the PC open?
I assume you have spent some time at
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AUA-3020&cat=%2fTechnology%2fUSB%2fUSB+%26+FireWire+Combo+Cards

Bob

It will not allow me to restore for some reason.

Dennis wrote:
> If your running Windows ME or XP, do a system restore back to a date prior
> to the upgrade.
>

>>Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and pick a date.
>
> (If your running Norton's GoBack either use it to restore or disable it.)
>
> "bstern" <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>I installed a USB 2.0 upgrade in my Dell Dimension 4300 pc and now my
>>computer does not recognize either my CD drive or my DVD drive. Can anyone
>>help me to put my computer back to right? I'm going crazy trying to do it
>>myself, and it seems I'm only entitled to email support with Adaptic.
>>
>>thanks in advance.
>>
>>Beth

I have not added any drives. And it did change the names of my drives.
When I right click on the ones that show it says tyo insert disk. I
already have a disk in both DVD and CD drives. It will not recognize
either. I remember once going into bios (?) and adding a string rem
something to restore a cd drive, but cannot now recall how I did it. It
was long ago and on another pc.

Leanin' Cedar wrote:

> "bstern" <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>I installed a USB 2.0 upgrade in my Dell Dimension 4300 pc and now my
>>computer does not recognize either my CD drive or my DVD drive. Can anyone
>>help me to put my computer back to right? I'm going crazy trying to do it
>>myself, and it seems I'm only entitled to email support with Adaptic.
>>
>>thanks in advance.
>>
>>Beth
>

> I put an Adaptec in my 4300 last year the duo-connect firewire/usb 2.0, and
> did not have any problems.
> Are your drives showing in disk management or device manager?
> Could you have loosened a cable when you had the PC open?
> I assume you have spent some time at
> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AUA-3020&cat=%2fTechnology%2fUSB%2fUSB+%26+FireWire+Combo+Cards
>
> Bob

the drives do not show up in my device manager....it is so frustrating.

> the drives do not show up in my device manager....it is so frustrating.

Do you have device manger set to show hidden devices?
Bob

> the drives do not show up in my device manager....it is so frustrating.

did you install the drivers from the CD that came with the card BEFORE you
put the card in the computer? If you didnt, turn the machine off, remove the
card. boot it up, and install the drivers. Then power off, install the card,
then power back on. Plug-n-Play should take over, install the device, and
you should then be able to see it in the device manager.

give that a try and let us know what happens.

- NuTs

Leanin' Cedar wrote:
>>the drives do not show up in my device manager....it is so frustrating.
>

> Do you have device manger set to show hidden devices?
> Bob

I checked, and it is showing all items. I also checked all the
connections inside and they seem to be intact. According to the
changesthat show up in the history on the system page, when I installed
that USB port, many many changes took place even without me ever
installing the software. I just can't figure out how to undo those
changes, and the help tab gives me no help at all. As I said, restore
does not undo the changes either. I cannot get to the bios section, as
I cannot remember how to access it, or I might be able to replace the
drives that way.

In system devices, what exactly am I looking for? What category would
cd drives be under? IDE?

thanks

> In system devices, what exactly am I looking for? What category would cd
> drives be under? IDE?
>
> thanks

The should be listed as DVD-cd rom drives

Did you update your bios before installing the card, I remember someone told
me to do that before installing the card.
Been a long time, and I don't remember just where I got all of the info.

Bob

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
>>the drives do not show up in my device manager....it is so frustrating.
>

> did you install the drivers from the CD that came with the card BEFORE you
> put the card in the computer? If you didnt, turn the machine off, remove the
> card. boot it up, and install the drivers. Then power off, install the card,
> then power back on. Plug-n-Play should take over, install the device, and
> you should then be able to see it in the device manager.
>
> give that a try and let us know what happens.
>
> - NuTs

how stupid can one person feel and still show their face in the newsgroup???

I opened the computer one more time...just to make sure everything was
as it should be...and there it was....the cable running from the drives
was partially out...

boy is my face red...

thanks to all of you who jumped in to help.....

I'll check and check again before I come back with a question....

Beth

And I was waiting with a bunch of new links. LOL
Glad to hear it is OK
Bob

> NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
> >>the drives do not show up in my device manager....it is so frustrating.
> >

> > did you install the drivers from the CD that came with the card BEFORE
you
> > put the card in the computer? If you didnt, turn the machine off, remove
the
> > card. boot it up, and install the drivers. Then power off, install the
card,
> > then power back on. Plug-n-Play should take over, install the device,
and
> > you should then be able to see it in the device manager.
> >
> > give that a try and let us know what happens.
> >
> > - NuTs
> >

> how stupid can one person feel and still show their face in the
newsgroup???

> I opened the computer one more time...just to make sure everything was
> as it should be...and there it was....the cable running from the drives
> was partially out...
>
> boy is my face red...
>
> thanks to all of you who jumped in to help.....
>
> I'll check and check again before I come back with a question....
>
> Beth

A lot of people get ticked when the first question from tech support is "Is
it plugged in?".
Not that I have ever forgotten to plug a thing or two in...