System 11 pinbot all displays dead any ideas.Snohomish,Wa.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I picked up a really nice pinbot plays great but all displays are
totaly dead.I did check and the +100,-100,and the +5 are getting to the
display driver on the back of the door,what do i do next I am new at
working on pinballs....Thanks....Dave

do you have a small glow on the displays? If you don't, the displays
are probably outgassed and need to be replaced. If you do, you have
some other problem. see some info at marvin3m.com/fix under the system
11 section. There's a lot of things it could be, hopefully you don't
have toasted 7180 chips as they are rather expensive to replace.

Best to swap the display driver board from another sys 11 game (like
high speed, grand lizard, etc.) to see if that cures the problem.

I have a non-working board if you need the decoder chips (@20/shipped
to the US).

I had a problem on my Pinbot with one of the segments not loghting up
(the bottom / segment of a 'Z'). Anybody have any ideas on that one?
I'm suspecting CPU board issue, but haven't swapped one out to confirm,
yet.

-Gregg

missing 1 segment to a single tube :
1. bad tube I have found tubes (aged of course) with one
segment burned rare but real !!!
need a close look up if burned is different from the other
segments
2. tube : segment pin broken near glass
3. IC segment driver if the segment is missing to the 1 and 2
player alpha displays

FORGET THE CPU itself
worst scenario is one of the pia 6821

Marius

www.pinball.ro

I should have mentioned:
It's the top 2 A/N panels (I believe the bottom 2 are numeric only).
One of the A/N was replaced (with a brand new one), so I don' tthink
it's a glass issue.
-G

Dave wrote:
> I picked up a really nice pinbot plays great but all displays are
> totaly dead.I did check and the +100,-100,and the +5 are getting to the
> display driver on the back of the door,what do i do next I am new at
> working on pinballs....Thanks....Dave

Welllllllll, is the game doing _anything_? Does it go into attract
mode? Any noises on startup?

If it's not going into attract mode, open up the coin door. Push and
release the advance button a few (3 or 4) times. Then, push and HOLD
the advance button until you see the game start messing with the
lights. It might only mess with the lights for a second or two, since
it's easy to "overshoot" and throw the game into audit mode by
accident. OR, if the game "blinks" the GI on and off once, then you
know it's alive.

If the game is going into attract mode (messing with the lights), then
it's _running_, but you have a display problem. If you can't even get
that far, then you might _not_ have a display problem, but a CPU
problem.

Make sure there is no corrosion damage caused
by leaking batteries. Corrosion damage near the
battery holder can/will kill signals to the displays.

It is quite possible that all of your display tubes
are dead from age, too.

--
Fred
TX

"Dave" <arcades@peoplepc.com> wrote in message news:1119289573.457994.61790@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I picked up a really nice pinbot plays great but all displays are
> totaly dead.I did check and the +100,-100,and the +5 are getting to the
> display driver on the back of the door,what do i do next I am new at
> working on pinballs....Thanks....Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thankyou for all the info guys I will ahve to check out some of those
things and get back with you.And yes the game plays 100% sounds,
attract mode everything just no displays whatsoever and no glow in
them.....Thanks....Dave