Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Picking a New Monitor - Two Options

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 29, 2009 2:21:39 AM

Hey, I am looking to replace one of my CRT's with a 23"+ widescreen LCD . I already run games @ 1900 X 1200 on my CRT, so resolution-related performance cost is not a factor. Glare is a major issue so no glossy. (My comp is right by a bay window.) Anyway, I have basically narrowed it down to these two monitors.

25.5", 1920X1200, Lower picture quality:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

24", 1920X1080, LED backlit, Great Picture Quality(CNET 4 Stars, )
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/pr...

I am pretty much sold on the Dell, but was wondering how much I will miss the extra 120 lines of resolution on the Asus. Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations? The Asus represents my maximum price point.
November 29, 2009 7:37:52 PM

I should add that I will use the monitor for (in this order) gaming, writing papers, surfing, and movies. Again, thanks. Also, even if you don't know about these two models, please let me know if you use 1920X1080 and how severely it hurts screen space for word processing and surfing.

Best solution

a b C Monitor
November 30, 2009 8:10:26 AM

Between those two, I'd lean towards the dell. I've used many dell monitors (between me and my family, we've owned 5 different Dell flatscreens, and all of them still work flawlessly, including a 7-year old Ultrasharp 1702FP. They're well built, they have good image quality, and between your two choices, the Dell is cheaper.

1920x1200 is nice though - I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP right now, and I love it.
November 30, 2009 1:58:22 PM

Thanks, I went ahead and bought the Dell. I mean it was only 250 bucks! There were a couple negative reviews out there, but CNET loved its black levels and accuracy after proper calibration. Also, I realized that since I run two monitors, the task bar will not even be on that screen. That will give me some more vertical real estate. Now to get a bigger desk, pop in another g-card and run three monitors.
!