Network problems.......

I have a small network. All the machine can see the Internet though my DSL
modem. They all live on the 'Z' network. When I use My Network Places and
hit "entire network" Z is found, and the other machines on the network are
found. Yet when I try to access those machines, I get told they are not
accessible and that ther are network path problems.

If I ping the machine it returns an IP, but fails. I do have access to my
local machine through My Network Places as expected, but they do not "see"
me.

Help!

How do I access the printer and files on those machines?

Thanks!

Ross
6 answers Last reply
More about network problems

    If all PCs are based in XP then:

    1) XP SP2 firewall is set to block pings.

    2) To share drives/files/printers, the user accounts must all be set up as
    they are on each PC. XP needs to authenicate each connection.

    #2 isn't correct, if you have "Simple File Sharing" turned on. Then, you
    simply have to share the folder, and anyone on the network can access
    (Control Panel/Tools/Folder Options/View/(all the way at bottom.)

    Ross, also, if you don't have any folders and/or files being shared on the
    other computers, then nothing will show up.

    > If all PCs are based in XP then:
    >
    > 1) XP SP2 firewall is set to block pings.
    >
    > 2) To share drives/files/printers, the user accounts must all be set up as
    > they are on each PC. XP needs to authenicate each connection.
    >

    > "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a small network. All the machine can see the Internet though my
    >>DSL
    >> modem. They all live on the 'Z' network. When I use My Network Places
    >> and
    >> hit "entire network" Z is found, and the other machines on the network
    >> are
    >> found. Yet when I try to access those machines, I get told they are not
    >> accessible and that ther are network path problems.
    >>
    >> If I ping the machine it returns an IP, but fails. I do have access to
    >> my
    >> local machine through My Network Places as expected, but they do not
    >> "see"
    >> me.
    >>
    >> Help!
    >>
    >> How do I access the printer and files on those machines?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Ross

    Thanks! Off to give this a try!

    "Head Hunter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > #2 isn't correct, if you have "Simple File Sharing" turned on. Then, you
    > simply have to share the folder, and anyone on the network can access
    > (Control Panel/Tools/Folder Options/View/(all the way at bottom.)
    >
    > Ross, also, if you don't have any folders and/or files being shared on the
    > other computers, then nothing will show up.
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > > If all PCs are based in XP then:
    > >
    > > 1) XP SP2 firewall is set to block pings.
    > >
    > > 2) To share drives/files/printers, the user accounts must all be set up
    as
    > > they are on each PC. XP needs to authenicate each connection.
    > >

    > > "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    > >>I have a small network. All the machine can see the Internet though my
    > >>DSL
    > >> modem. They all live on the 'Z' network. When I use My Network Places
    > >> and
    > >> hit "entire network" Z is found, and the other machines on the network
    > >> are
    > >> found. Yet when I try to access those machines, I get told they are
    not
    > >> accessible and that ther are network path problems.
    > >>
    > >> If I ping the machine it returns an IP, but fails. I do have access to
    > >> my
    > >> local machine through My Network Places as expected, but they do not
    > >> "see"
    > >> me.
    > >>
    > >> Help!
    > >>
    > >> How do I access the printer and files on those machines?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> Ross

    No XP Firewall: we're Zone Alarmers. and even with firewall turned off, no
    luck in Mudville.....

    > If all PCs are based in XP then:
    >
    > 1) XP SP2 firewall is set to block pings.
    >
    > 2) To share drives/files/printers, the user accounts must all be set up as
    > they are on each PC. XP needs to authenicate each connection.
    >

    > "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    > >I have a small network. All the machine can see the Internet though my
    DSL
    > > modem. They all live on the 'Z' network. When I use My Network Places
    > > and
    > > hit "entire network" Z is found, and the other machines on the network
    are
    > > found. Yet when I try to access those machines, I get told they are not
    > > accessible and that ther are network path problems.
    > >
    > > If I ping the machine it returns an IP, but fails. I do have access to
    my
    > > local machine through My Network Places as expected, but they do not
    "see"
    > > me.
    > >
    > > Help!
    > >
    > > How do I access the printer and files on those machines?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Ross

    Using Zone Alarm, have you configured the Firewall Zones to
    include the Router Range (192.168.1.1-253) ?, so that all the
    PCs in the LAN are "Trusted".
    The Range indicated is for example, and may not match your
    LAN range. Also, accounts without a password will not allow
    networking, as this is considered a security risk. Finally, all the
    PCs should be a member of the same workgroup - in XP that
    defaults to MSHome.

    > No XP Firewall: we're Zone Alarmers. and even with firewall turned off, no
    > luck in Mudville.....
    >

    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    >> If all PCs are based in XP then:
    >>
    >> 1) XP SP2 firewall is set to block pings.
    >>
    >> 2) To share drives/files/printers, the user accounts must all be set up
    >> as
    >> they are on each PC. XP needs to authenicate each connection.
    >>

    >> "Ross M. Greenberg" <greenber@catskill.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have a small network. All the machine can see the Internet though my
    > DSL
    >> > modem. They all live on the 'Z' network. When I use My Network Places
    >> > and
    >> > hit "entire network" Z is found, and the other machines on the network
    > are
    >> > found. Yet when I try to access those machines, I get told they are
    >> > not
    >> > accessible and that ther are network path problems.
    >> >
    >> > If I ping the machine it returns an IP, but fails. I do have access to
    > my
    >> > local machine through My Network Places as expected, but they do not
    > "see"
    >> > me.
    >> >
    >> > Help!
    >> >
    >> > How do I access the printer and files on those machines?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> >
    >> > Ross

    Even with ZA turned off and a reboot, I still get a network path error.

Microsoft Windows XP