HP JetDirect Firmware Upgrade

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hi folks,

got my hands one of these nifty cards (J2552A) to upgrade my LJ4.
Unfortunately, the firmware is *ancient* (A.03.03) and doesn't even
support a password for telnetting!!! Definitely needs an update.

So I grabbed HP's Web JetAdmin suite and the A.05.05 firmware for the
card. The actual update takes only a few seconds, then "completes" with
a failure, the log indicating a "syntax error". Weird. Whatever the
failure, it's not catastrophic as the card retains its old firmware and
is still usable (much to my surprise). Is the resident firmware too
old/dumb to even perform the update? Anyone run into this problem?

Regards,

--GanjaTron

On the seventh day, GanjaTron wrote...

> Hi folks,
>
> got my hands one of these nifty cards (J2552A) to upgrade my LJ4.
> Unfortunately, the firmware is *ancient* (A.03.03) and doesn't even
> support a password for telnetting!!! Definitely needs an update.
>
> So I grabbed HP's Web JetAdmin suite and the A.05.05 firmware for the
> card. The actual update takes only a few seconds, then "completes" with
> a failure, the log indicating a "syntax error". Weird. Whatever the
> failure, it's not catastrophic as the card retains its old firmware and
> is still usable (much to my surprise). Is the resident firmware too
> old/dumb to even perform the update? Anyone run into this problem?

unless otherwise proven, I'd assume an error from either your browser or
your network infrastructure. If I were you I'd setup a test machine with
JVM 1.42_03, IE6 without all those patches, don't use a proxy and try
again.

Good luck!

Flup2: comp.sys.hp.hardware

You call this relaxing? I'm a nervous wreck. If I'm not careful
I'll end up talking to myself. - McCoy, "Star Trek V"