Adjusting roll over switches

Does anyone have tips for the proper way to adjust the wire rollover
switches.

They are the wire type found in most inlane/outlanes.

I have tried making the peak of the triangle higher & have found that
sometimes a slow ball can get hung up on the switch.

An example is my MB DIG lanes up by the pop bumpers.
Even brand new wireforms and switches fail to register.
I have verified that the wire is right in the middle of the slot and
not rubbing on the wooden sides.

So what are your tips for getting these adjusted properly ?
Where do you bend ?

Thanks

>So what are your tips for getting these adjusted properly ?
>Where do you bend ?

You may need a new switch. Sometimes an older switch seems to need more
travel to work, and then you get ball hangups.

Kirb

Yep brand new switches.

Thanks Lloyd !
I will try bending it down my the button.
All this time I have been trying to bend in various places along the
wire.

Are the rollovers attached to microswitches? If there are, you are not
supposed to bend them at all. You're supposed to undo one side of the
microswitch and rotate the whole assembly to adjust.

If they are flat leaf switches, adjust the leaf, not the wireform. If
you're already bent the wireform out of shape you have to get it back
the way it was.

As microswitches wear, you might just need to replace it.
Microswitches are actually rated for far less closures than they get in
a typical pinball machine, so every 10-15,000 games or so they are
"worn out".

Don't forget there are different "tensions" available in microswitches. I
think the color of the little plastic bit that sticks out (and is pressed
down by the blade/wire) is how you can tell.

Randy

"Chris Redinger" <credinger@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yep brand new switches.
>
> Thanks Lloyd !
> I will try bending it down my the button.
> All this time I have been trying to bend in various places along the
> wire.

pt

The key for me is to bend the switch blade about mid-way down the
switch body. If a switch has too much travel before it 'clicks'; I do
the following. Turn the machine off. Hold the switch closed at
mid-body using a needlenose pliers and bend the blade up slightly. Now
let go and test the switch. If it still has too much travel before the
audible click then repeat the above until you barely push it and it
clicks; maybe and 1/8th inch..

If you bend it too far the switch will not click. At this point slide
something under the blade at mid body and bend it back down. Some
older switches will still be intermittent and simply need replacing.

If you replace the switch don't forget to put the actuator in the
correct position. There are usually two positions that the actuator
blade can be in.

John

Sometimes it's not the rollover switch or wireform at all. On some
machines the lane is a bit too wide, allowing the ball to occasionally
squeak by on one side or the other without actually triggering the
switch. If this is the case you can minimize the problem by centering
the switch (as best you can) in the lane, not in the slot.

See the flat metal piece that triggers the little button on the switch ? Get
that straight and working first. Then with a flat nose pliers, grab just in
front of that, then bend to your hearts content. Bear in mind that if the
switch nubs are worn, or if it's a stiff switch, you are better off
replacing it. It shouldn't take much effort for a ball to push it down when
rolling over. LTG :)

> Does anyone have tips for the proper way to adjust the wire rollover
> switches.
>
> They are the wire type found in most inlane/outlanes.
>

> I have tried making the peak of the triangle higher & have found that
> sometimes a slow ball can get hung up on the switch.
>
> An example is my MB DIG lanes up by the pop bumpers.
> Even brand new wireforms and switches fail to register.
> I have verified that the wire is right in the middle of the slot and
> not rubbing on the wooden sides.
>

> So what are your tips for getting these adjusted properly ?
> Where do you bend ?
>
> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS