As I'm going through and putting my Dimension XPS T600 system back together
(I got the coppermine 850 to work great!) I've ran into a weird problem.
When I got the system it was pretty much in parts so I didn't have anything
to go from when taking it apart and putting it back together again.

I have put the chasis back together including the plastic pieces inside the
front bezel that hold the hard drive and so forth. Well I went to slide the
floppy drive in, and it fits great, but there is no way to make it hold or
stay there. By looking at this picture you can see that I have the same
system and the same floppy drive being slid in the same way. Although there
is no screw holes for me to put a screw in, or nothing. It slides perfectly
into the plastic mold but slides around.

How do I go about making it attached the way Dell intended it?

Brad

"B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> As I'm going through and putting my Dimension XPS T600 system back
> together (I got the coppermine 850 to work great!) I've ran into a weird
> problem. When I got the system it was pretty much in parts so I didn't
> have anything to go from when taking it apart and putting it back together
> again.
>
> I have put the chasis back together including the plastic pieces inside
> the front bezel that hold the hard drive and so forth. Well I went to
> slide the floppy drive in, and it fits great, but there is no way to make
> it hold or stay there. By looking at this picture you can see that I have
> the same system and the same floppy drive being slid in the same way.
> Although there is no screw holes for me to put a screw in, or nothing. It
> slides perfectly into the plastic mold but slides around.
>
> How do I go about making it attached the way Dell intended it?
>
> Brad

Have you looked at this? It sounds like the (bottom) quick release clips
aren't locking when sliding the assembly forward....

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/rr.htm#3_5_inch_diskette_drive

Stew

Actually, now that I look at it, it doesn't have the clips. Now to figure
out where these clips went, if they were ever included to begin with...

> "B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
>> As I'm going through and putting my Dimension XPS T600 system back
>> together (I got the coppermine 850 to work great!) I've ran into a weird
>> problem. When I got the system it was pretty much in parts so I didn't
>> have anything to go from when taking it apart and putting it back
>> together again.
>>
>> I have put the chasis back together including the plastic pieces inside
>> the front bezel that hold the hard drive and so forth. Well I went to
>> slide the floppy drive in, and it fits great, but there is no way to make
>> it hold or stay there. By looking at this picture you can see that I have
>> the same system and the same floppy drive being slid in the same way.
>> Although there is no screw holes for me to put a screw in, or nothing.
>> It slides perfectly into the plastic mold but slides around.
>>
>> How do I go about making it attached the way Dell intended it?
>>
>> Brad
>>

> Have you looked at this? It sounds like the (bottom) quick release clips
> aren't locking when sliding the assembly forward....
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/rr.htm#3_5_inch_diskette_drive
>

> Stew

I take it there is no place to get these if I can't find them...?

>I take it there is no place to get these if I can't find them...?

This first link might be of interest, depending on how badly you want the
clips. You can see them on the end of the drive(s) in the photos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44959&item=5195943319&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

....and a ridiculously high listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44959&item=5137176853&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

.....or, you can try Dell spare parts (but I couldn't find a part # on the
clips on my system here) : 1-800-357-3355.

Hope this helps some. I know you don't need the extra floppy drive.

Stew

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what other model's that those clips were interchangable with? I
know several people who have optiplex's, different model dimensions and so
forth and they may have parts I could get.

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Do you know what other model's that those clips were interchangable with?
> I know several people who have optiplex's, different model dimensions and
> so forth and they may have parts I could get.

With certainty any Dell Dimension XPS R, T, Br, or Dimension 4100's.
Perhaps even the XPS D or H (much earlier PII systems) might have them. The
chassis on these models are all the same, though the front bezel on the D
and H models may be slightly different. Some of the Dimension V models
might work as well.

Not sure about the Optiplex GX beige boxes, but if you've got access to one
firsthand, it'd be worth a look. I actually have a free pair from an XPS R
system that I'd give you if I didn't have 4-5 of these machines out in the
field that might call for them one day. Chances are I won't need them at
all, but you know how that works once they're gone...

Stew

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but any beige mid-tower Dell Dimension P2 or
P3 system would have the needed clips... Ben Myers