Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
files location?

My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.

I found the following key in the registry

HKLM\software\microsoft\window­s\currentversion

ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files

If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

You can usually tell a program where you want it to be installed during the
installation process.

"kgslego@yahoo.com" wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
> files location?
>

> My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
> install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.
>

> I found the following key in the registry
>

> HKLM\software\microsoft\window­s\currentversion
>

> ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files
>

> If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

You'll have to uninstall your programs, then reinstall them
to the new D: drive because a relocation involves updating
the registry data, associated shortcuts, moving the files and
folders, and updating entries from the system configuation files.
You cannot accomplish this without using a third-party program
or by manually changing a few registry keys

You can easily move your programs using System Mechanic's
"Relocate Software" program. You can try it free for 30 days.
http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/index.cfm

"System Mechanic's Application Relocater tool is a helpful utility that
allows you to move an application installed in one place on your system
to another location on your system, such as a new drive or directory.
The relocation process involves finding and moving all of the specified
application's associated elements in order to make the move functionally
seamless, and allows you to continue using the application as you were before".

Ref: http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/tool.cfm?tool=96&collection=SM

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"kgslego" wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
files location?

My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.

I found the following key in the registry

HKLM\software\microsoft\window­s\currentversion

ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files

If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

Gordon

kgslego@yahoo.com wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default c:\program
> files location?
>

> My c drive is getting full and I would like for programs to default
> install to my new d drive, that is mostly empty.
>

> I found the following key in the registry
>

> HKLM\software\microsoft\window­s\currentversion
>

> ProgramFilesDir REG_SZ c:\program files
>

> If I change this to d:\program files will that be the new default??

You can usually specify a custom location for the install when you install a
new pice of software......have you looked at clearing out your Temp files
and temp Internet files?