Sign in with
Your question
Solved

NEC EA231WMi Monitors

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 29, 2009 8:09:38 PM

I just purchased two NEC EA231WMi monitors. They use an "enhanced IPS" panel. And both have large areas that have a very slight greenish tint. Is this a characteristic of e-IPS panels? Will it go away with time?

I may decide to return them. If I do, can anyone recommend a better monitor? I want to stick with an aspect ratio of 16:9, because that is the native aspect ratio of high definition content. I also want to stay at a resolution of 1920 X 1080 or better. And, finally, I would like to avoid TN panels.

More about : nec ea231wmi monitors

Best solution

a c 195 C Monitor
December 1, 2009 12:13:09 AM

The green-ish hue you are see is due to wide color gamut. Basically all monitors currently produced now use wide color gamut which over saturates greens. Click the following link which will bring up a Fallout 3 wallpaper:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/downloads/wallpapers...

The armored figure (and everything else) should appear to have a greenish color. That's wide color gamut. On my old 19" Planar PX191 (standard color gamut) the armor was more grayish. There is nothing you can do about except play with the color settings to reduce the greenish color, but that will also slightly change the hue of the other colors.

There is only one standard color gamut monitor that I know of and that is the NEC LCD2490WUXi selling for $1,100+. It's more or less for professional or pro-sumer usage.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 1, 2009 12:18:48 AM

I'm not into photography, so I don't need the wide gamut. I've got a 27" TN panel 72% gamut ordered. Hopefully, it'll do better for me.

Thanks for explaining. I really appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2010 11:49:12 PM

jaguarskx said:
The green-ish hue you are see is due to wide color gamut.

Sorry, this is complete misinformation. The EA231WMi is not even a wide gamut monitor. The problem 'mgilbert' describes is a common trend among e-IPS panels manufactured by LG.Philips (Dell's U2410 & 2209WA, Philips 240PW9EB).

As numerous users have reported (and myself have been a victim of) the monitor's flaw is that it has uneven backlight distribution, creating uneven color uniformity issues. On one side of the monitor, usually the right, colors will appear more green or red-ish in tint, whereas the left side of the screen will appear cooler w/ a pink/blue'ish hue.

It's hard to say how widespread the problem is, but from reading everyone's 'reviews' and complaints on the "[H]ard Forums," it seems to be EVERYONE who is affected. It is a shame as, otherwise, this monitor would be the creme of the crop if you're looking for: quality in movies, games, web surfing, and design work.

More info can be attained by doing a Google search for "EA231WMi uniformity" or by simply going to the [H]ard forum thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1436160
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 4, 2010 11:55:11 PM

I returned the monitors, and bought two Samsung F2380 monitors, which use a PVA panel. There is some black crush, most of which can be compensated for using a color calibrator - Pantone Huey, in my case.

These monitors have the crispest, most lifelike, deep images I've ever seen - its almost 3d. They have an honest 3000 to 1 contrast ratio, yielding the deepest blacks and whitest whites I've ever seen.

m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
January 5, 2010 1:12:43 AM

SolidMetal said:
Sorry, this is complete misinformation. The EA231WMi is not even a wide gamut monitor.

Yes, you are correct. The EA231WMi does indeed have standard color gamut.

m
l
!