Screw Head Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Hello all, I will be attempting to fix a broken LCD screen on my fiends Toshiba Satellite A105-S4054. Before i start to tackle this i was wondering what size screw drivers i will most likely need. I have only done desktop repair before and was not in need of any precision drives. If you could be so kind to point me to a commonly sold set or at least the popular screw heads so i can pick up the an appropriate kit, that would be great.

Also if you have any advice in what to look for with his screen going out that would be most beneficial. I did some searching online and on the forums here, i am hoping that a replaceable cable is broken or something fell loose. Initially my friend told me that if you twisted the screen a certain way the screen would display but i couldn't replicate this.

Thanks

G

Sounds like the ribbon cable in on the way out -- possibly affecting the screen illumination.

Generally these kind of jobs are best left to the manufacturer who will have encountered the issue dozens of times before, will know how to disassemble without damage and will have exactly the right parts.

If you want to have a go I would recommend a small kit generally known as a jewellers or glasses screwdriver set. This will work for most of the small size crosshead screws you are likely to encounter -- anything smaller and you may have to file down one of the straight blades.

I hardly ever use precision drivers during disassembly itself. Generally just a few small flathead drivers will work, and have phillips drivers on standby to take screws out. I use a magnet to hold all the screws in their correct positions, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.