Cannot open windows picture and fax viewer

August 8, 2005 5:55:02 PM

Hello all,

I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic icons
for jpg, bmp, etc files.
I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified file.

Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
thanks in advance.

victor.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:47:16 AM

Hi,

Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand file"
(general tab)

File to expand: shimgvw.dll
From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
To: %windir%\system32

Reboot when finished.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic
> icons
> for jpg, bmp, etc files.
> I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
> view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
> I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
> loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified
> file.
>
> Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
> thanks in advance.
>

> victor.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:53:02 AM

Thank you for your answer, Rick.

Unfortunately this did not work.
However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleI...

For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i associated all
the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.

Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could repair
dll's in this way.

regards,
Victor

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand file"
> (general tab)
>
> File to expand: shimgvw.dll
> From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
> To: %windir%\system32
>
> Reboot when finished.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic
> > icons
> > for jpg, bmp, etc files.
> > I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
> > view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
> > I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
> > loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified
> > file.
> >
> > Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
> > thanks in advance.
> >

> > victor.

August 9, 2005 9:02:03 PM

Victor,

The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a different
control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that comes
with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
recommended.

Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for thumbnail
generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
re-register it to verify.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Thank you for your answer, Rick.
>
> Unfortunately this did not work.
> However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
> changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
>
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleI...
>
> For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i associated
> all
> the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
>
> Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could repair
> dll's in this way.
>
> regards,
> Victor
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand
>> file"
>> (general tab)
>>
>> File to expand: shimgvw.dll
>> From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
>> To: %windir%\system32
>>
>> Reboot when finished.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic
>> > icons
>> > for jpg, bmp, etc files.
>> > I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
>> > view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
>> > I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
>> > loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified
>> > file.
>> >
>> > Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
>> > thanks in advance.
>> >

>> > victor.

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:02:04 PM

Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.

I tried the Rick's method but when doing
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound, etc.

My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.

I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong, it's
my firt time with the expand utility :-)

regards
Victor

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Victor,
>
> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a different
> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that comes
> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
> recommended.
>
> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for thumbnail
> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
> re-register it to verify.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
> >
> > Unfortunately this did not work.
> > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
> > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
> >
> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleI...
> >
> > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i associated
> > all
> > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
> >
> > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could repair
> > dll's in this way.
> >
> > regards,
> > Victor
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand
> >> file"
> >> (general tab)
> >>
> >> File to expand: shimgvw.dll
> >> From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
> >> To: %windir%\system32
> >>
> >> Reboot when finished.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:31:52 PM

Victor,

Here is the syntax | example for expand command:

expand h:\i386\shimgvw.dl_ -r c:\windows\system32

Assumes H:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter. And C:\ is where Windows is
installed.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
>

> I tried the Rick's method but when doing
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
> etc.
>
> My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
>
> I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
> C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
> is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
> it's
> my firt time with the expand utility :-)
>
> regards
> Victor
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Victor,
>>
>> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
>> different
>> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
>> comes
>> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
>> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
>> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
>> recommended.
>>
>> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
>> thumbnail
>> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
>> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
>> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
>> re-register it to verify.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately this did not work.
>> > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
>> > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
>> >
>> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleI...
>> >
>> > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i
>> > associated
>> > all
>> > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
>> >
>> > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could
>> > repair
>> > dll's in this way.
>> >
>> > regards,
>> > Victor

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:19:18 AM

Hi,

That'd be the original version from the "gold" (release) version of
WindowsXP. The most recent version (which is the one that you should be
using) comes with the service packs. Did the extraction complete properly?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
>

> I tried the Rick's method but when doing
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
> etc.
>
> My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
>
> I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
> C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
> is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
> it's
> my firt time with the expand utility :-)
>
> regards
> Victor
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Victor,
>>
>> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
>> different
>> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
>> comes
>> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
>> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
>> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
>> recommended.
>>
>> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
>> thumbnail
>> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
>> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
>> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
>> re-register it to verify.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately this did not work.
>> > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
>> > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
>> >
>> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleI...
>> >
>> > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i
>> > associated
>> > all
>> > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
>> >
>> > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could
>> > repair
>> > dll's in this way.
>> >
>> > regards,
>> > Victor

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:21:24 AM

One other thought too, have you checked the PATH statement to ensure that it
has not been damaged? If in fact the file shimgvw.dll is in the
%windir%\system32 directory, and regsvr32 does not "see" the file, then you
may have a damaged environmental variable or possibly a malware infection.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
>

> I tried the Rick's method but when doing
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
> etc.
>
> My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
>
> I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
> C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
> is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
> it's
> my firt time with the expand utility :-)
>
> regards
> Victor
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Victor,
>>
>> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
>> different
>> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
>> comes
>> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
>> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
>> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
>> recommended.
>>
>> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
>> thumbnail
>> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
>> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
>> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
>> re-register it to verify.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately this did not work.
>> > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
>> > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
>> >
>> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleI...
>> >
>> > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i
>> > associated
>> > all
>> > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
>> >
>> > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could
>> > repair
>> > dll's in this way.
>> >
>> > regards,
>> > Victor

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:59:06 AM

I expanded the file (got a xp cd) and it expanded succesfully. still the same
problem, regsvr32 does not 'see' the dll, even if i cann see it in the
directory.

Could be that thing that you said, rick?. how could i check if that's the
problem?

thank you very much for your time and advise.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> One other thought too, have you checked the PATH statement to ensure that it
> has not been damaged? If in fact the file shimgvw.dll is in the
> %windir%\system32 directory, and regsvr32 does not "see" the file, then you
> may have a damaged environmental variable or possibly a malware infection.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
> >

> > I tried the Rick's method but when doing
> > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
> > etc.
> >
> > My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
> >
> > I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
> > C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
> > is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
> > it's
> > my firt time with the expand utility :-)
> >
> > regards
> > Victor
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Victor,
> >>
> >> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
> >> different
> >> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
> >> comes
> >> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
> >> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
> >> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
> >> recommended.
> >>
> >> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
> >> thumbnail
> >> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
> >> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
> >> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
> >> re-register it to verify.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:07:09 AM

Hi,

Click start/run, type cmd and click ok. From the prompt, type PATH and hit
enter. Is the \Windows\system32 line included in the list?

--

>I expanded the file (got a xp cd) and it expanded succesfully. still the
>same
> problem, regsvr32 does not 'see' the dll, even if i cann see it in the
> directory.
>
> Could be that thing that you said, rick?. how could i check if that's the
> problem?
>
> thank you very much for your time and advise.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> One other thought too, have you checked the PATH statement to ensure that
>> it
>> has not been damaged? If in fact the file shimgvw.dll is in the
>> %windir%\system32 directory, and regsvr32 does not "see" the file, then
>> you
>> may have a damaged environmental variable or possibly a malware
>> infection.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
>> >

>> > I tried the Rick's method but when doing
>> > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message
>> > filenotfound,
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far
>> > away.
>> >
>> > I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
>> > C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
>> > is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
>> > it's
>> > my firt time with the expand utility :-)
>> >
>> > regards
>> > Victor

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:57:35 AM

yes, it's there.

Is there any other dlll file i can chek the regdvr32 command? just to see if
the prblem is exclusive of shimgvw or is more general.
thanks.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:35:50 AM

regsvr32 shell32.dll

--

> yes, it's there.
>
> Is there any other dlll file i can chek the regdvr32 command? just to see
> if
> the prblem is exclusive of shimgvw or is more general.
> thanks.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Click start/run, type cmd and click ok. From the prompt, type PATH and
>> hit
>> enter. Is the \Windows\system32 line included in the list?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I expanded the file (got a xp cd) and it expanded succesfully. still the
>> >same
>> > problem, regsvr32 does not 'see' the dll, even if i cann see it in the
>> > directory.
>> >
>> > Could be that thing that you said, rick?. how could i check if that's
>> > the
>> > problem?
>> >
>> > thank you very much for your time and advise.

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:47:02 AM

It works fine with shell32.dll.
I alo tried with other (non windows ibrary and it worked as wll), so it may
be just the shimgvw.dll file that causes problems.

I also notice that I cannot import picture files into moviemaker (but i can
import mpeg files). Are these two problems related?

thanks, Rick, for everything you are doing.

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:10:01 AM

Hi,

Try regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll