Cannot open windows picture and fax viewer

Hello all,

I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic icons
for jpg, bmp, etc files.
I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified file.

Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
thanks in advance.

victor.
13 answers Last reply
More about cannot open windows picture viewer

    Hi,

    Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand file"
    (general tab)

    File to expand: shimgvw.dll
    From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
    To: %windir%\system32

    Reboot when finished.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic
    > icons
    > for jpg, bmp, etc files.
    > I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
    > view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
    > I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
    > loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified
    > file.
    >
    > Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
    > thanks in advance.
    >

    > victor.

    Thank you for your answer, Rick.

    Unfortunately this did not work.
    However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
    changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=37752&DisplayTab=Article

    For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i associated all
    the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.

    Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could repair
    dll's in this way.

    regards,
    Victor

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand file"
    > (general tab)
    >
    > File to expand: shimgvw.dll
    > From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
    > To: %windir%\system32
    >
    > Reboot when finished.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic
    > > icons
    > > for jpg, bmp, etc files.
    > > I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
    > > view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
    > > I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
    > > loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified
    > > file.
    > >
    > > Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
    > > thanks in advance.
    > >

    > > victor.

    Victor,

    The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a different
    control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that comes
    with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
    need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
    automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
    recommended.

    Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for thumbnail
    generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
    Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
    ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
    re-register it to verify.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
    >
    > Unfortunately this did not work.
    > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
    > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
    >
    > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=37752&DisplayTab=Article
    >
    > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i associated
    > all
    > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
    >
    > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could repair
    > dll's in this way.
    >
    > regards,
    > Victor
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand
    >> file"
    >> (general tab)
    >>
    >> File to expand: shimgvw.dll
    >> From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
    >> To: %windir%\system32
    >>
    >> Reboot when finished.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello all,
    >> >
    >> > I cannot see the thumbnails of any file, and i see instead the generic
    >> > icons
    >> > for jpg, bmp, etc files.
    >> > I associated all these files to windows picture viewer and i selected
    >> > view->thumbnails, but the problem is that i cannot start this program
    >> > I tried with regsvr32 shimgvw.dll but it tells me
    >> > loadlibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed. the system cannot find the specified
    >> > file.
    >> >
    >> > Is my picture viewer corrupted or lost? what could i do?
    >> > thanks in advance.
    >> >

    >> > victor.

    Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.

    I tried the Rick's method but when doing
    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound, etc.

    My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.

    I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
    is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong, it's
    my firt time with the expand utility :-)

    regards
    Victor

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Victor,
    >
    > The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a different
    > control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that comes
    > with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
    > need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
    > automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
    > recommended.
    >
    > Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for thumbnail
    > generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
    > Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
    > ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
    > re-register it to verify.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately this did not work.
    > > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
    > > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
    > >
    > > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=37752&DisplayTab=Article
    > >
    > > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i associated
    > > all
    > > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
    > >
    > > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could repair
    > > dll's in this way.
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > Victor
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Exapnd a new copy of shimgvw.dll. Start/run msconfig, click on "expand
    > >> file"
    > >> (general tab)
    > >>
    > >> File to expand: shimgvw.dll
    > >> From: %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386
    > >> To: %windir%\system32
    > >>
    > >> Reboot when finished.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "victor_7000" <victor_7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Victor,

    Here is the syntax | example for expand command:

    expand h:\i386\shimgvw.dl_ -r c:\windows\system32

    Assumes H:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter. And C:\ is where Windows is
    installed.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
    >

    > I tried the Rick's method but when doing
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
    > etc.
    >
    > My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
    >
    > I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
    > C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
    > is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
    > it's
    > my firt time with the expand utility :-)
    >
    > regards
    > Victor
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Victor,
    >>
    >> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
    >> different
    >> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
    >> comes
    >> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
    >> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
    >> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
    >> recommended.
    >>
    >> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
    >> thumbnail
    >> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
    >> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
    >> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
    >> re-register it to verify.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
    >> >
    >> > Unfortunately this did not work.
    >> > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
    >> > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
    >> >
    >> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=37752&DisplayTab=Article
    >> >
    >> > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i
    >> > associated
    >> > all
    >> > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
    >> >
    >> > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could
    >> > repair
    >> > dll's in this way.
    >> >
    >> > regards,
    >> > Victor

    Hi,

    That'd be the original version from the "gold" (release) version of
    WindowsXP. The most recent version (which is the one that you should be
    using) comes with the service packs. Did the extraction complete properly?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
    >

    > I tried the Rick's method but when doing
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
    > etc.
    >
    > My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
    >
    > I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
    > C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
    > is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
    > it's
    > my firt time with the expand utility :-)
    >
    > regards
    > Victor
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Victor,
    >>
    >> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
    >> different
    >> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
    >> comes
    >> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
    >> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
    >> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
    >> recommended.
    >>
    >> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
    >> thumbnail
    >> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
    >> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
    >> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
    >> re-register it to verify.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
    >> >
    >> > Unfortunately this did not work.
    >> > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
    >> > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
    >> >
    >> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=37752&DisplayTab=Article
    >> >
    >> > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i
    >> > associated
    >> > all
    >> > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
    >> >
    >> > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could
    >> > repair
    >> > dll's in this way.
    >> >
    >> > regards,
    >> > Victor

    One other thought too, have you checked the PATH statement to ensure that it
    has not been damaged? If in fact the file shimgvw.dll is in the
    %windir%\system32 directory, and regsvr32 does not "see" the file, then you
    may have a damaged environmental variable or possibly a malware infection.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
    >

    > I tried the Rick's method but when doing
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
    > etc.
    >
    > My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
    >
    > I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
    > C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
    > is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
    > it's
    > my firt time with the expand utility :-)
    >
    > regards
    > Victor
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Victor,
    >>
    >> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
    >> different
    >> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
    >> comes
    >> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
    >> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
    >> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
    >> recommended.
    >>
    >> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
    >> thumbnail
    >> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
    >> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
    >> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
    >> re-register it to verify.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for your answer, Rick.
    >> >
    >> > Unfortunately this did not work.
    >> > However, i found a solution for the thumbnails problem, consisting in
    >> > changing some registry data. this is the address with this solution
    >> >
    >> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=37752&DisplayTab=Article
    >> >
    >> > For the picture and Fax viewer, i still cannot open it, but i
    >> > associated
    >> > all
    >> > the image files with microsoft photo editor and it makes the job.
    >> >
    >> > Thnks again for the 'expand' trick anyway, i did not know you could
    >> > repair
    >> > dll's in this way.
    >> >
    >> > regards,
    >> > Victor

    I expanded the file (got a xp cd) and it expanded succesfully. still the same
    problem, regsvr32 does not 'see' the dll, even if i cann see it in the
    directory.

    Could be that thing that you said, rick?. how could i check if that's the
    problem?

    thank you very much for your time and advise.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > One other thought too, have you checked the PATH statement to ensure that it
    > has not been damaged? If in fact the file shimgvw.dll is in the
    > %windir%\system32 directory, and regsvr32 does not "see" the file, then you
    > may have a damaged environmental variable or possibly a malware infection.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
    > >

    > > I tried the Rick's method but when doing
    > > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message filenotfound,
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far away.
    > >
    > > I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
    > > C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
    > > is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
    > > it's
    > > my firt time with the expand utility :-)
    > >
    > > regards
    > > Victor
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Victor,
    > >>
    > >> The method described in that site will work. However, it defines a
    > >> different
    > >> control for thumbnail extraction. The default shell image viewer that
    > >> comes
    > >> with XP (shimgvw.dll) already contains a GDI+ Thumbnail extractor, and no
    > >> need to explicitly define it from JPG files. It displays the preview
    > >> automatically. Therefore, I'd give preference to the solution that Rick
    > >> recommended.
    > >>
    > >> Note that shimgvw.dll is useful for many other tasks, not only for
    > >> thumbnail
    > >> generation. So, pls ensure that the DLL is extracted correctly (Use the
    > >> Expand command and get a copy from the XP CD, or copy from
    > >> ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, whichever is the recent version), and
    > >> re-register it to verify.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    Click start/run, type cmd and click ok. From the prompt, type PATH and hit
    enter. Is the \Windows\system32 line included in the list?

    --

    >I expanded the file (got a xp cd) and it expanded succesfully. still the
    >same
    > problem, regsvr32 does not 'see' the dll, even if i cann see it in the
    > directory.
    >
    > Could be that thing that you said, rick?. how could i check if that's the
    > problem?
    >
    > thank you very much for your time and advise.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> One other thought too, have you checked the PATH statement to ensure that
    >> it
    >> has not been damaged? If in fact the file shimgvw.dll is in the
    >> %windir%\system32 directory, and regsvr32 does not "see" the file, then
    >> you
    >> may have a damaged environmental variable or possibly a malware
    >> infection.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for the explanation, Ramesh.
    >> >

    >> > I tried the Rick's method but when doing
    >> > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll i still get the same annoying message
    >> > filenotfound,
    >> > etc.
    >> >
    >> > My laptop is a company laptop, and the original XP CD is 1000km far
    >> > away.
    >> >
    >> > I'm going to try again the expand. I just found the file
    >> > C:\I386\shimgvw.dl_
    >> > is that file that one i need to expand? Maybe this is what i did wrong,
    >> > it's
    >> > my firt time with the expand utility :-)
    >> >
    >> > regards
    >> > Victor

    yes, it's there.

    Is there any other dlll file i can chek the regdvr32 command? just to see if
    the prblem is exclusive of shimgvw or is more general.
    thanks.

    regsvr32 shell32.dll

    --

    > yes, it's there.
    >
    > Is there any other dlll file i can chek the regdvr32 command? just to see
    > if
    > the prblem is exclusive of shimgvw or is more general.
    > thanks.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Click start/run, type cmd and click ok. From the prompt, type PATH and
    >> hit
    >> enter. Is the \Windows\system32 line included in the list?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I expanded the file (got a xp cd) and it expanded succesfully. still the
    >> >same
    >> > problem, regsvr32 does not 'see' the dll, even if i cann see it in the
    >> > directory.
    >> >
    >> > Could be that thing that you said, rick?. how could i check if that's
    >> > the
    >> > problem?
    >> >
    >> > thank you very much for your time and advise.

    It works fine with shell32.dll.
    I alo tried with other (non windows ibrary and it worked as wll), so it may
    be just the shimgvw.dll file that causes problems.

    I also notice that I cannot import picture files into moviemaker (but i can
    import mpeg files). Are these two problems related?

    thanks, Rick, for everything you are doing.

    Hi,

    Try regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

    --

    > It works fine with shell32.dll.
    > I alo tried with other (non windows ibrary and it worked as wll), so it
    > may
    > be just the shimgvw.dll file that causes problems.
    >
    > I also notice that I cannot import picture files into moviemaker (but i
    > can
    > import mpeg files). Are these two problems related?
    >
    > thanks, Rick, for everything you are doing.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> regsvr32 shell32.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > yes, it's there.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any other dlll file i can chek the regdvr32 command? just to
    >> > see
    >> > if
    >> > the prblem is exclusive of shimgvw or is more general.
    >> > thanks.

Windows XP