A Curious Temperature Observation

mindlor

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Hi Gang!!

Just built a new PC with an ASUS A7N8X using a AMD Athlon XP 1700+. I am running everything at spec. Under normal operation the cpu and mobo run at about 38 degrees Celcius.

This I can live with.

The odditiy is that when I leave the PC unattended and it goes into standby mode...the CPU and mobo temp actually increase by 4 degrees Celcius.

Is this normal???

Mindlor

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I never let my pc go into standby, but i have a feeling that maybe your fans might reduce their rpm's when they go in to that state, so therefore that would explain the raise in temps... Besides.. if your pc remains stable, and successfully makes it back to normal operation, your going fine, regardless of temperature raising.

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Is the CPU fan shutting of in standby?

If it is disable Q-Fan in your BIOS.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I do not trust the temp probe of my mobo, they are usually based on the temp of the air under the cpu. that design worked well before fcpga but they should really get with the times and use the one included with modern amd processors. I have thermal probes taped to just barely touch the side of the cup die. I get much more accurate readings and I find that the temp is almost 8c higher in the area below the cpu than the die is.

In battle Israel uses F-16's and big ass tanks, Palestine uses small children strapped to bombs. Which do you support?