Fan problem with Gateway 9100.

Hi,
sorry for english but i am italian.
I have a overheat problem with my Gateway 9100 (pII 266 and 14.1 TFT).
The cpu fan not function. I have tested the motor of fan with External
battery and tester and function perfectly but a mb not send the 5V at
the cpu fan.

I have windows 2000 and not function the suspend ad standby mode. If i
press the key of suspend/standby the pc don't enter in suspend/standby
mode.

My fan problem is software of hardware?

You can help me?

Thanks

Capitano,

The fan is hardware and since it works, there must be some problem with
it's connection to the motherboard. As for your problem getting it to
go into standby, you may have some conflict between the settings in
Windows and the system bios, or components that are not compatible with
standby modes.

Good luck,

Mellow

Capitano wrote:

> Hi,
> sorry for english but i am italian.
> I have a overheat problem with my Gateway 9100 (pII 266 and 14.1 TFT).
> The cpu fan not function. I have tested the motor of fan with External
> battery and tester and function perfectly but a mb not send the 5V at
> the cpu fan.
>
> I have windows 2000 and not function the suspend ad standby mode. If i
> press the key of suspend/standby the pc don't enter in suspend/standby
> mode.
>
> My fan problem is software of hardware?
>
> You can help me?
>
> Thanks

Thanks for your response.
The connection on the mb is OK but the pin of connector don't send the
5v at the fan.
You know if the windows 2000 professional is not compatible with
Gateway 9100 fan??
Can i see if my hardware have a conflict was block the fan?

Thanks

My bet would be that you have either a mother board hardware problem OR (and
check this first) make sure that the BIOS is properly set up for temperature
sensing. (If the fan works with an external battery it should be ok - can
you connect the fan to another 5v supply at one of the power connectors and
bypass the mother board control?)

"Capitano" <nautico@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your response.
> The connection on the mb is OK but the pin of connector don't send the
> 5v at the fan.
> You know if the windows 2000 professional is not compatible with
> Gateway 9100 fan??
> Can i see if my hardware have a conflict was block the fan?
>
> Thanks

Hi Tom,
what is the correct bios setting for temperature sensing?
In next days i will connect the fan at another 5v supply on the mb. I
have see that usb port (pin 1 e pin 4) have 5v. I will connect the fan
at this.

In my opinion is a problem of windows 2000 because the computer don't
enter in stanby or suspend mode. You?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the 9100 series and was just speaking
to probabilities (I cannot research your particular BIOS, perhaps someone
else can give you the data you need). However, I would strongly suspect
that the inoperative fan and standby/suspend are two differing problems -
does anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

To make sure that Win2000 and the BIOS are not fighting each other go to the
BIOS and turn off all power management systems then give it a trial. When
the operating system and BIOS contend for control problems usually result
and this may be your situation.

When I suggested connecting the fan to a power plug I didn't mean to suggest
usage of a USB power connection as the power available there (especially if
other USB jacks are in use) may be insufficient and even cause you other
problems. Can you use a spare connector for a hard drive or dvd/cdrom drive
as they would have sufficient power?

As a last resort, have you tried going to http://www.gateway.com under
support and searching for your particular system?

Good luck,
Tom