How to change official CD-Key for WinXP/Win2000 without re..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Assume the following situation:

Two partners running together a company and share several computers with Win2000 and WinXP OS.
Then they break up their joint venture business.
One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.

The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he wants to apply his own, new licences
to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS and all the stuff on it again.

Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information to the new owner and the new licence?

As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation process and cannot be applied (normally) later.
Is there a workaround?

Frank
8 answers Last reply
More about change official winxp win2000

    As long as you have licenses it's a non-issue. I wouldn't worry about it.
    You can ask them here but they'll tell you the same thing.

    How and When to Contact Microsoft Customer Service
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];295539

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Frank Callone" wrote:
    | Assume the following situation:
    |
    | Two partners running together a company and share several computers with
    Win2000 and WinXP OS.
    | Then they break up their joint venture business.
    | One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.
    |
    | The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he wants
    to apply his own, new licences
    | to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS and
    all the stuff on it again.

    | Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information to
    the new owner and the new licence?

    | As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation
    process and cannot be applied (normally) later.
    | Is there a workaround?
    |
    | Frank

    Windows XP Product Key Modifier

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Frank Callone" wrote:

    | Assume the following situation:
    |
    | Two partners running together a company and share several computers with Win2000 and WinXP OS.
    | Then they break up their joint venture business.
    | One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.
    |
    | The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he wants to apply his own, new licences
    | to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS and all the stuff on it again.
    |
    | Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information to the new owner and the new licence?
    |
    | As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation process and cannot be applied (normally) later.
    | Is there a workaround?
    |
    | Frank

    Repair Installation................lose nothing
    peterk

    the problem
    "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Assume the following situation:
    >
    > Two partners running together a company and share several computers with
    > Win2000 and WinXP OS.
    > Then they break up their joint venture business.
    > One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.
    >
    > The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he wants
    > to apply his own, new licences
    > to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS and
    > all the stuff on it again.
    >
    > Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information to
    > the new owner and the new licence?
    >
    > As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation
    > process and cannot be applied (normally) later.
    > Is there a workaround?
    >
    > Frank

    "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Assume the following situation:
    >
    > Two partners running together a company and share several computers with
    > Win2000 and WinXP OS.
    > Then they break up their joint venture business.
    > One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.
    >
    > The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he wants
    > to apply his own, new licences
    > to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS and
    > all the stuff on it again.
    >
    > Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information to
    > the new owner and the new licence?
    >
    > As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation
    > process and cannot be applied (normally) later.
    > Is there a workaround?

    How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a Windows XP SP1-based
    computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874

    You can change the key like this in any XP system regardless of what Service
    Pack has been installed.

    To change the name of the registered info, change the following registry
    keys

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

    Change the Values for "RegisteredOwner" and "RegisteredOrganization".

    --
    William

    "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Assume the following situation:
    >
    > Two partners running together a company and share several computers with
    > Win2000 and WinXP OS.
    > Then they break up their joint venture business.
    > One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.
    >
    > The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he wants
    > to apply his own, new licences
    > to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS and
    > all the stuff on it again.
    >
    > Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information to
    > the new owner and the new licence?
    >
    > As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation
    > process and cannot be applied (normally) later.
    > Is there a workaround?

    How to change the Volume Licensing product key on a Windows XP SP1-based
    computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874

    You can change the key like this in any XP system regardless of what Service
    Pack has been installed.

    To change the name of the registered info, change the following registry
    keys

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

    Change the Values for "RegisteredOwner" and "RegisteredOrganization".

    --
    William

    Dave Patrick commented thusly:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];295539

    For an OEM license, this won't work. I'm not sure about retail,
    but aren't the "free" M$ tech support calls limited to just a
    couple? About the only times I've been able to escape the $35
    charge per incident is when they couldn't fix the problem (once)
    or when I'd discovered a Windoze bug (once). The best thing I
    can say, is that at least you can call as many times as it takes
    on the same incident, which in my case was 5 calls once.

    "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Assume the following situation:
    >
    > Two partners running together a company and share several computers
    > with Win2000 and WinXP OS.
    > Then they break up their joint venture business.
    > One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.
    >
    > The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he
    > wants to apply his own, new licences
    > to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS
    > and all the stuff on it again.
    >
    > Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information
    > to the new owner and the new licence?
    >
    > As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation
    > process and cannot be applied (normally) later. Is there a workaround?
    >
    > Frank

    Do a repair install and change the licence key there.

    The simple way is to just put in the CD and do an in-place upgrade. This will ask for a key and you can change it there. You will
    need to reapply service packs and updates later than the version of the CD, but your existing Windows configuration and installed
    programs are preserved.

    It should be noted here that you cannot "buy" MS O/S licenses alone. For operating systems you either get OEM product with a license
    with the machine, or you have to get full or upgrade retail box product with a license. There is no other way to get a valid
    end-user O/S license.

    As long as you have a valid license and CD and the system is running, I don't know that I'd really bother with any of this myself.

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42f7cd8e$0$11757$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
    > Assume the following situation:
    >
    > Two partners running together a company and share several computers with Win2000 and WinXP OS.
    > Then they break up their joint venture business.
    > One of them take all official WinXP+Win2000 licences with him.
    >
    > The other partner buys new official Win2000+WinXP licences. Then he wants to apply his own, new licences
    > to new already existing computers without reinstalling the whole OS and all the stuff on it again.
    >
    > Is there a way to change the CD-Key and other registering information to the new owner and the new licence?
    >
    > As far as I know the Cd-Key has to be entered during the installation process and cannot be applied (normally) later.
    > Is there a workaround?
    >
    > Frank

Microsoft Computers CD-Rom Windows XP