TV Tuner, what's in yours and what do you think of it?

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When I ordered my 8400 last month, the sales rep talked me into MCE version
of windows, basically all the functionality of Pro, but at $39 vs. $79.
Since I was going w/MCE and I also wanted to convert old analog home movies
to DVD, I got the add on single TV tuner, at the time I think the upgrade
was like $100 or $150.

Got my machine, and it has an ATI eHomeWonder card. Watched live TV (I have
analog antenna input only) and it looked very compressed, like watching a
little dish program, or digital cable. It has a very soft image.

Tech support basically said as long as the quality is set to "best" that is
what it's going to look like. I'm used to standard TV quality pictures on my
PC. My old machine (a p3 450 at that) had a Hauppauge TV tuner in it,
although there was no TV guide built in, or a pause feature, the picture
looked just as good, clear, sharp, as a standard TV sitting right next to my
desktop.

What tuners did anyone else get from Dell, and what do you think of them?

Here's an example of the softness I'm talking about, the left is the old
Hauppauge PCI card, the right is the ATI eHomeWonder card.
http://installersoutlet.com/gadgetguy/wintv.htm

Bryan

Bryan wrote:
> When I ordered my 8400 last month, the sales rep talked me into MCE
> version of windows, basically all the functionality of Pro, but at
> $39 vs. $79. Since I was going w/MCE and I also wanted to convert old
> analog home movies to DVD, I got the add on single TV tuner, at the
> time I think the upgrade was like $100 or $150.
>
> Got my machine, and it has an ATI eHomeWonder card. Watched live TV
> (I have analog antenna input only) and it looked very compressed,
> like watching a little dish program, or digital cable. It has a very
> soft image.
> Tech support basically said as long as the quality is set to "best"
> that is what it's going to look like. I'm used to standard TV quality
> pictures on my PC. My old machine (a p3 450 at that) had a Hauppauge
> TV tuner in it, although there was no TV guide built in, or a pause
> feature, the picture looked just as good, clear, sharp, as a standard
> TV sitting right next to my desktop.
>
> What tuners did anyone else get from Dell, and what do you think of
> them?
> Here's an example of the softness I'm talking about, the left is the
> old Hauppauge PCI card, the right is the ATI eHomeWonder card.
> http://installersoutlet.com/gadgetguy/wintv.htm
>
> Bryan

I did not get the tuner from Dell but did get the remote. I added a
Hauppauge 150 MCE I purchased for about $60 from amazon.com. I get as good a
pictures as I would on a good 17" TV maybe a little better. It works with my
DirecTV box and also has local FM radio. I've also copied a few shows to DVD
with good results though this is time consuming. I also have no interest in
connecting this to my large screen, HD TV at all.

--

Joe Cilinceon

"Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
| When I ordered my 8400 last month, the sales rep talked me into MCE
version
| of windows, basically all the functionality of Pro, but at $39 vs. $79.
| Since I was going w/MCE and I also wanted to convert old analog home
movies
| to DVD, I got the add on single TV tuner, at the time I think the upgrade
| was like $100 or $150.
|
| Got my machine, and it has an ATI eHomeWonder card. Watched live TV (I
have
| analog antenna input only) and it looked very compressed, like watching a
| little dish program, or digital cable. It has a very soft image.
|
| Tech support basically said as long as the quality is set to "best" that
is
| what it's going to look like. I'm used to standard TV quality pictures on
my
| PC. My old machine (a p3 450 at that) had a Hauppauge TV tuner in it,
| although there was no TV guide built in, or a pause feature, the picture
| looked just as good, clear, sharp, as a standard TV sitting right next to
my
| desktop.
|
| What tuners did anyone else get from Dell, and what do you think of them?
|
| Here's an example of the softness I'm talking about, the left is the old
| Hauppauge PCI card, the right is the ATI eHomeWonder card.
| http://installersoutlet.com/gadgetguy/wintv.htm
|
| Bryan

I have an 8400 with the Emuzed Angel dual tuner. I think it's pretty clear.
Here's a screenshot. It's hooked straight to Time Warner Cable, no
converter.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/hillbillybuddha/Monkshot.JPG

A couple of good sources for possible assistance, the Newsgroup;

microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

(if you're unfamiliar with the MS Public Newsgroups see;
;newswhelp]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];newswhelp )

and the forums at
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/
--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> | When I ordered my 8400 last month, the sales rep talked me into MCE
> version
> | of windows, basically all the functionality of Pro, but at $39 vs. $79.
> | Since I was going w/MCE and I also wanted to convert old analog home
> movies
> | to DVD, I got the add on single TV tuner, at the time I think the
> upgrade
> | was like $100 or $150.
> |
> | Got my machine, and it has an ATI eHomeWonder card. Watched live TV (I
> have
> | analog antenna input only) and it looked very compressed, like watching
> | little dish program, or digital cable. It has a very soft image.
> |
> | Tech support basically said as long as the quality is set to "best" that
> is
> | what it's going to look like. I'm used to standard TV quality pictures
> on
> my
> | PC. My old machine (a p3 450 at that) had a Hauppauge TV tuner in it,
> | although there was no TV guide built in, or a pause feature, the picture
> | looked just as good, clear, sharp, as a standard TV sitting right next
> my
> | desktop.
> |
> | What tuners did anyone else get from Dell, and what do you think of
> them?
> |
> | Here's an example of the softness I'm talking about, the left is the old
> | Hauppauge PCI card, the right is the ATI eHomeWonder card.
> | http://installersoutlet.com/gadgetguy/wintv.htm
> |
> | Bryan
>
> I have an 8400 with the Emuzed Angel dual tuner. I think it's pretty
> clear.
> Here's a screenshot. It's hooked straight to Time Warner Cable, no
> converter.
>
> http://home.columbus.rr.com/hillbillybuddha/Monkshot.JPG
>
> A couple of good sources for possible assistance, the Newsgroup;
>
> microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter
>
> (if you're unfamiliar with the MS Public Newsgroups see;
> ;newswhelp]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];newswhelp )
>
> and the forums at
> http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/
> --
> Doug
>
>.
>Im using a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 in my 8400 hooked to Comcast Cable.
>The picture quality, even at full screen, on my 17" Ultra Sharp LCD , is
>very nice indeed. The image capture is excellent and the video recording
>is just as nice as the original.

william

"Dave" <dwernerfl04@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> | When I ordered my 8400 last month, the sales rep talked me into MCE
>> version
>> | of windows, basically all the functionality of Pro, but at $39 vs. $79.
>> | Since I was going w/MCE and I also wanted to convert old analog home
>> movies
>> | to DVD, I got the add on single TV tuner, at the time I think the
>> upgrade
>> | was like $100 or $150.
>> |
>> | Got my machine, and it has an ATI eHomeWonder card. Watched live TV (I
>> have
>> | analog antenna input only) and it looked very compressed, like watching
>> | little dish program, or digital cable. It has a very soft image.
>> |
>> | Tech support basically said as long as the quality is set to "best"
>> that
>> is
>> | what it's going to look like. I'm used to standard TV quality pictures
>> on
>> my
>> | PC. My old machine (a p3 450 at that) had a Hauppauge TV tuner in it,
>> | although there was no TV guide built in, or a pause feature, the
>> picture
>> | looked just as good, clear, sharp, as a standard TV sitting right next
>> my
>> | desktop.
>> |
>> | What tuners did anyone else get from Dell, and what do you think of
>> them?
>> |
>> | Here's an example of the softness I'm talking about, the left is the
>> old
>> | Hauppauge PCI card, the right is the ATI eHomeWonder card.
>> | http://installersoutlet.com/gadgetguy/wintv.htm
>> |
>> | Bryan
>>
>> I have an 8400 with the Emuzed Angel dual tuner. I think it's pretty
>> clear.
>> Here's a screenshot. It's hooked straight to Time Warner Cable, no
>> converter.
>>
>> http://home.columbus.rr.com/hillbillybuddha/Monkshot.JPG
>>
>> A couple of good sources for possible assistance, the Newsgroup;
>>
>> microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter
>>
>> (if you're unfamiliar with the MS Public Newsgroups see;
>> ;newswhelp]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];newswhelp )
>>
>> and the forums at
>> http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/
>> --
>> Doug
>>
>>.
>>Im using a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 in my 8400 hooked to Comcast Cable.
>>The picture quality, even at full screen, on my 17" Ultra Sharp LCD , is
>>very nice indeed. The image capture is excellent and the video recording
>>is just as nice as the original.

USB version? Thinking of getting one for my 8400 as well.

Bill

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message

> USB version? Thinking of getting one for my 8400 as well.
>
> Bill

The 350 is a PCI card. I use the PVR USB2 and it is outstanding. Make SURE
you get teh PVR USB2 version. Not the Win TV USB. Not the USBversion.

Tom

william

> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>
>> USB version? Thinking of getting one for my 8400 as well.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> The 350 is a PCI card. I use the PVR USB2 and it is outstanding. Make
> SURE you get teh PVR USB2 version. Not the Win TV USB. Not the
> USBversion.
>
> Tom
Thanks for that ref.

Bill

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

>> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> USB version? Thinking of getting one for my 8400 as well.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>> The 350 is a PCI card. I use the PVR USB2 and it is outstanding. Make
>> SURE you get teh PVR USB2 version. Not the Win TV USB. Not the
>> USBversion.
>>
>> Tom
> Thanks for that ref.
>
> Bill
>I must say that while I am pleased with my Hauppauge PVR 350 that if anyone
>is considering going for it they may be well served by looking at the
>Hauppauge 150 or 250 PVR (PCI) cards which really are a bargain with few
>limitation as opposed to the 350.

Cheers...

> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message

>>> The 350 is a PCI card. I use the PVR USB2 and it is outstanding. Make
>>> SURE you get teh PVR USB2 version. Not the Win TV USB. Not the
>>> USBversion.
>>>
>>> Tom
>> Thanks for that ref.
>>
>> Bill
>>I must say that while I am pleased with my Hauppauge PVR 350 that if
>>anyone is considering going for it they may be well served by looking at
>>the Hauppauge 150 or 250 PVR (PCI) cards which really are a bargain with
>>few limitation as opposed to the 350.
>
> Cheers...

I have the 250 (in addition to the USB2) and it is also a fine card.

Tom

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I have an 8400 at home, and a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 hooked to my cable.
Excellent picture and several nice features. Can set it to record like a
VCR, went on vacation and programmed it to record Deadwood while I we were
gone.

Comes with a remote, WinTV-Scheduler, WinTV-Editor plus Ulead's DVD
MovieFactory (which I don't use). It will run in full-screen mode (terrible
picture but that because of MPEG2's 720x480 resolution) or any size
inbetween. DVD's I've recorded look great on TV though.

Records in 10 differenct video formats (I usually use DVD standard @ 8.0
Mbits/Sec = 3.1 Gigabytes/Hr [one-one hour episode per DVD] or DVD Extra
Long Play @ 2.5 Mb/Sec = 1.2 GB Hr [or four one hour episodes per DVD]).

Satisified with it in all respects except for the included editing/burning
software (Ulead's DVD MovieFactory). I use Easy Media Creator with is far
superior IMHO.