microsoft games

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 1, 2004 11:24:01 PM

When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games, microsoft!

This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball 2001, Dungeon Seige, and Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
--
Mike

More about : microsoft games

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 6:03:44 AM

Mike wrote:

> See any pattern?

Yes, I do see a pattern. You appear to have seriously screwed up your
computer system.

--
The Spirit
July 2, 2004 12:48:02 PM

Hey "Spirit" yah, I'd agree except that every other game I own from every other company works just fine. It's just Microsoft games that don't work.
--
Mike

"The Spirit" wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> >
> > See any pattern?
>

> Yes, I do see a pattern. You appear to have seriously screwed up your
> computer system.
>

> --
> The Spirit

Related resources
July 2, 2004 5:16:56 PM

Heh, it's the gaming industry in general. Very few
gaming companies have publishers that will allow them to
hold up release dates to get the game as bug free as
possible. Blizzard is a fine example of polished quality
releases and even they are not bug free. Pools of
Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, shipped with a serious
bug that would c:\ format your hard drive if uninstalled
on a specific hardware configuration...Stormfront
Studio's isn't affiliated with Microsoft in anyway so
it's hardly just M$ games.

The problem is gamers will pay for games regardless of
the quality of the product, so publisher's (not
necessarily developers) take advantage of that and push
product out the door before it's ready. We need to start
forcing a change in the industry by not paying for
products which are still in alpha or beta states. This
is particularly true with the MMO market.

~rl

July 2, 2004 11:21:01 PM

Hey Rod. I agree entirely. but the bigger picture is that these games are hyped and re-hyped ad nauseum for sometimes two or more years (Half Life 2 anyone?) prior to release and once they are released its like the second coming. If the gaming industry mags would focus more on what's already out there and less on what may or may not be coming down the line, perhaps we would get a clearer picture of the quality of games. It seems to me that most gamer mags are spending less and less ink on reviews and more and more on previews.

If we were better consumers we'd wait the month or so and then wait for a mag or a website to review the full, released game before making the purchase. As it is, you cannot walk into a store like EB without someone telling you to pre-order this or that because you're just simply gonna miss out when the game is released.

thanks for your input.
--
Mike

"Rod" wrote:

> Heh, it's the gaming industry in general. Very few
> gaming companies have publishers that will allow them to
> hold up release dates to get the game as bug free as
> possible. Blizzard is a fine example of polished quality
> releases and even they are not bug free. Pools of
> Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, shipped with a serious
> bug that would c:\ format your hard drive if uninstalled
> on a specific hardware configuration...Stormfront
> Studio's isn't affiliated with Microsoft in anyway so
> it's hardly just M$ games.
>
> The problem is gamers will pay for games regardless of
> the quality of the product, so publisher's (not
> necessarily developers) take advantage of that and push
> product out the door before it's ready. We need to start
> forcing a change in the industry by not paying for
> products which are still in alpha or beta states. This
> is particularly true with the MMO market.
>
> ~rl

Anonymous
July 4, 2004 12:29:15 AM

Let's see, you're on a Microsoft server, think you might hear about problems
with Microsoft games instead of (oh, say) Blizzard or EA games?

Besides, for some of the games you listed (AOE I and II, Mechwarrior
Mercenaries, Dungeon Siege) MS is the *publisher,* not developer. Sort of
like blaming... eh, who is it... Tor if you don't like Robert Jordan's Wheel
of Time series of books.

You also don't mention what you're having problems with on these games, if
you've patched them, etc.

> When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are
not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only
microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games
installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft
games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they
can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games,
microsoft!

> This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots, Age of Mythology,
Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball
2001, Dungeon Seige, and Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
> --
> Mike

---
July 4, 2004 11:06:02 PM

Hello. Thanks for replying. It was my (naive?) impression that it was this website where people who were having problems with their games could find some real help, and not the "blamefest" it seems to be here. It's unfortunate because the "truth" is out there, so to speak but everyone is so busy blaming somebody else. However this is the place where I would have figured that intelligent people would gather and share their intelligent ideas and help each other solve their problems. Its unfortunate, that even the people who seem to be in the know, seem intent on simply blaming other companies.
As for what sort of problems, the game simply doesn't load. No error message, no freeze up, no restart, the game simply doesn't run. It installs fine with no errors but the mini title screen appears and then...nothing. I'm sure the reason for this has nothing to do with any files in the game whatsoever and that I should consult the manufacturer of my video card, audio card, screen, computer, windows, air conditioner, car to solve the problem because hey it can't be microsoft's fault. And by the way if Microsoft puts their name on it they had damn well better take responsibility for it.
I look forward to your reply.
--
Mike

"E McCann" wrote:

> Let's see, you're on a Microsoft server, think you might hear about problems
> with Microsoft games instead of (oh, say) Blizzard or EA games?
>
> Besides, for some of the games you listed (AOE I and II, Mechwarrior
> Mercenaries, Dungeon Siege) MS is the *publisher,* not developer. Sort of
> like blaming... eh, who is it... Tor if you don't like Robert Jordan's Wheel
> of Time series of books.
>
> You also don't mention what you're having problems with on these games, if
> you've patched them, etc.
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are
> not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only
> microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games
> installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft
> games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they
> can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games,
> microsoft!
> >
> > This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots, Age of Mythology,
> Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball
> 2001, Dungeon Seige, and Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
> > --
> > Mike
>

> ---

July 5, 2004 1:34:26 AM

> Hello. Thanks for replying. It was my (naive?) impression that it was
this website where people who >were having problems with their games could
find some real help, and not the "blamefest" it seems to be >here.

Hmm. Interesting way to start, given your post:

"When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are
not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only
microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games
installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft
games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they
can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games,
microsoft!"

>It's unfortunate because the "truth" is out there, so to speak but
everyone is so busy blaming somebody else.

From the context of your messages, you think telling you to update the
drivers, download patches, etc. is "blaming somebody else." If you drive
over a nail and get a flat tire, do you blame your car manufacturer? If your
cordless phone doesn't work because the power is out, or the phone line was
pulled out of the jack, do you blame the phone manufacturer? Or do you take
"Check that you still have power and that the phone line is connected" as
troubleshooting steps?

Why do you think those steps exist?

How do you think they were developed?

Why do you think they keep getting repeated? (Note, the answer is not "to
deflect blame.")

As far as the games you mentioned, *some* are, indeed, Microsoft games -
others published *by* Microsoft. For example, AOE I and II were created by
Ensemble Studios - and if you go to MS's site, while some steps are in their
knowledge base, for troubleshooting, you'll be directed to Ensemble's
website. Combat Flight Simulator *is* (IIRC) developed by MS themselves at
this point...

Yet you still give no troubleshooting information past "they don't start
after installing." So, *yes,* to actually *help* more information would be
needed... like CPU type and speed, amount of memory, video card type, driver
revision, DirectX revision, if you're running any of them in compatibility
mode, what patches you're running on your OS.... some of which are under
MS's control, some of which are not, and *any* of which could affect the
games.

---
July 25, 2004 5:52:25 PM

what i don't understand is that WE HAVE TO PAY THEM A FEE
TO HAVE THEM FIX OUR SOFTWARE PROBLEM WHICH IS CAUSED BY
THEIR WON SOFTWARE PROGRAMS. why can't they just help us
fix whatever is causing the problem. Customer Service? we
are individuals, not corporations. I don't have a problem
with my video card because if I did, I would have know
about it a long time ago. Microsoft wants to "kill" all
other software/hardware out there that is not made by
Microsoft.

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 7:16:05 PM

Yeah, just look at all the patches you pay for... oh, wait, YOU DON'T.

"ireland" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what i don't understand is that WE HAVE TO PAY THEM A FEE
> TO HAVE THEM FIX OUR SOFTWARE PROBLEM WHICH IS CAUSED BY
> THEIR WON SOFTWARE PROGRAMS. why can't they just help us
> fix whatever is causing the problem. Customer Service? we
> are individuals, not corporations. I don't have a problem
> with my video card because if I did, I would have know
> about it a long time ago. Microsoft wants to "kill" all
> other software/hardware out there that is not made by
> Microsoft.

---