microsoft games

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games, microsoft!

This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball 2001, Dungeon Seige, and Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
--
Mike
9 answers Last reply
More about microsoft games
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    >
    > See any pattern?


    Yes, I do see a pattern. You appear to have seriously screwed up your
    computer system.


    --
    The Spirit
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hey "Spirit" yah, I'd agree except that every other game I own from every other company works just fine. It's just Microsoft games that don't work.
    --
    Mike


    "The Spirit" wrote:

    > Mike wrote:
    > >
    > > See any pattern?
    >
    >
    > Yes, I do see a pattern. You appear to have seriously screwed up your
    > computer system.
    >
    >
    > --
    > The Spirit
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Heh, it's the gaming industry in general. Very few
    gaming companies have publishers that will allow them to
    hold up release dates to get the game as bug free as
    possible. Blizzard is a fine example of polished quality
    releases and even they are not bug free. Pools of
    Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, shipped with a serious
    bug that would c:\ format your hard drive if uninstalled
    on a specific hardware configuration...Stormfront
    Studio's isn't affiliated with Microsoft in anyway so
    it's hardly just M$ games.

    The problem is gamers will pay for games regardless of
    the quality of the product, so publisher's (not
    necessarily developers) take advantage of that and push
    product out the door before it's ready. We need to start
    forcing a change in the industry by not paying for
    products which are still in alpha or beta states. This
    is particularly true with the MMO market.

    ~rl

    >-----Original Message-----
    >Hey "Spirit" yah, I'd agree except that every other
    game I own from every other company works just fine.
    It's just Microsoft games that don't work.
    >--
    >Mike
    >
    >
    >"The Spirit" wrote:
    >
    >> Mike wrote:
    >> >
    >> > See any pattern?
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, I do see a pattern. You appear to have seriously
    screwed up your
    >> computer system.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> The Spirit
    >>
    >>
    >.
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hey Rod. I agree entirely. but the bigger picture is that these games are hyped and re-hyped ad nauseum for sometimes two or more years (Half Life 2 anyone?) prior to release and once they are released its like the second coming. If the gaming industry mags would focus more on what's already out there and less on what may or may not be coming down the line, perhaps we would get a clearer picture of the quality of games. It seems to me that most gamer mags are spending less and less ink on reviews and more and more on previews.

    If we were better consumers we'd wait the month or so and then wait for a mag or a website to review the full, released game before making the purchase. As it is, you cannot walk into a store like EB without someone telling you to pre-order this or that because you're just simply gonna miss out when the game is released.

    thanks for your input.
    --
    Mike


    "Rod" wrote:

    > Heh, it's the gaming industry in general. Very few
    > gaming companies have publishers that will allow them to
    > hold up release dates to get the game as bug free as
    > possible. Blizzard is a fine example of polished quality
    > releases and even they are not bug free. Pools of
    > Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, shipped with a serious
    > bug that would c:\ format your hard drive if uninstalled
    > on a specific hardware configuration...Stormfront
    > Studio's isn't affiliated with Microsoft in anyway so
    > it's hardly just M$ games.
    >
    > The problem is gamers will pay for games regardless of
    > the quality of the product, so publisher's (not
    > necessarily developers) take advantage of that and push
    > product out the door before it's ready. We need to start
    > forcing a change in the industry by not paying for
    > products which are still in alpha or beta states. This
    > is particularly true with the MMO market.
    >
    > ~rl
    >
    > >-----Original Message-----
    > >Hey "Spirit" yah, I'd agree except that every other
    > game I own from every other company works just fine.
    > It's just Microsoft games that don't work.
    > >--
    > >Mike
    > >
    > >
    > >"The Spirit" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Mike wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> > See any pattern?
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> Yes, I do see a pattern. You appear to have seriously
    > screwed up your
    > >> computer system.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> The Spirit
    > >>
    > >>
    > >.
    > >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Let's see, you're on a Microsoft server, think you might hear about problems
    with Microsoft games instead of (oh, say) Blizzard or EA games?

    Besides, for some of the games you listed (AOE I and II, Mechwarrior
    Mercenaries, Dungeon Siege) MS is the *publisher,* not developer. Sort of
    like blaming... eh, who is it... Tor if you don't like Robert Jordan's Wheel
    of Time series of books.

    You also don't mention what you're having problems with on these games, if
    you've patched them, etc.

    "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:B24C9FCD-0E5E-4F9C-971B-54B8D6159CCE@microsoft.com...
    > When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are
    not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only
    microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games
    installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft
    games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they
    can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games,
    microsoft!
    >
    > This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots, Age of Mythology,
    Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball
    2001, Dungeon Seige, and Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
    > --
    > Mike


    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.710 / Virus Database: 466 - Release Date: 6/23/2004
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hello. Thanks for replying. It was my (naive?) impression that it was this website where people who were having problems with their games could find some real help, and not the "blamefest" it seems to be here. It's unfortunate because the "truth" is out there, so to speak but everyone is so busy blaming somebody else. However this is the place where I would have figured that intelligent people would gather and share their intelligent ideas and help each other solve their problems. Its unfortunate, that even the people who seem to be in the know, seem intent on simply blaming other companies.
    As for what sort of problems, the game simply doesn't load. No error message, no freeze up, no restart, the game simply doesn't run. It installs fine with no errors but the mini title screen appears and then...nothing. I'm sure the reason for this has nothing to do with any files in the game whatsoever and that I should consult the manufacturer of my video card, audio card, screen, computer, windows, air conditioner, car to solve the problem because hey it can't be microsoft's fault. And by the way if Microsoft puts their name on it they had damn well better take responsibility for it.
    I look forward to your reply.
    --
    Mike


    "E McCann" wrote:

    > Let's see, you're on a Microsoft server, think you might hear about problems
    > with Microsoft games instead of (oh, say) Blizzard or EA games?
    >
    > Besides, for some of the games you listed (AOE I and II, Mechwarrior
    > Mercenaries, Dungeon Siege) MS is the *publisher,* not developer. Sort of
    > like blaming... eh, who is it... Tor if you don't like Robert Jordan's Wheel
    > of Time series of books.
    >
    > You also don't mention what you're having problems with on these games, if
    > you've patched them, etc.
    >
    > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:B24C9FCD-0E5E-4F9C-971B-54B8D6159CCE@microsoft.com...
    > > When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are
    > not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only
    > microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games
    > installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft
    > games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they
    > can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games,
    > microsoft!
    > >
    > > This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots, Age of Mythology,
    > Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball
    > 2001, Dungeon Seige, and Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
    > > --
    > > Mike
    >
    >
    > ---
    > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    > Version: 6.0.710 / Virus Database: 466 - Release Date: 6/23/2004
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:20E81A6B-57FC-42D2-B7EB-78EB9347071E@microsoft.com...
    > Hello. Thanks for replying. It was my (naive?) impression that it was
    this website where people who >were having problems with their games could
    find some real help, and not the "blamefest" it seems to be >here.

    Hmm. Interesting way to start, given your post:

    "When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here. The problems are
    not with our computers, they are with the games. why is it that only
    microsoft games are not working on these systems? I have over 100 games
    installed on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are microsoft
    games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility and blames whatever they
    can. Everybody and anybody except themselves. Fix the damn games,
    microsoft!"

    >It's unfortunate because the "truth" is out there, so to speak but
    everyone is so busy blaming somebody else.

    From the context of your messages, you think telling you to update the
    drivers, download patches, etc. is "blaming somebody else." If you drive
    over a nail and get a flat tire, do you blame your car manufacturer? If your
    cordless phone doesn't work because the power is out, or the phone line was
    pulled out of the jack, do you blame the phone manufacturer? Or do you take
    "Check that you still have power and that the phone line is connected" as
    troubleshooting steps?

    Why do you think those steps exist?

    How do you think they were developed?

    Why do you think they keep getting repeated? (Note, the answer is not "to
    deflect blame.")

    As far as the games you mentioned, *some* are, indeed, Microsoft games -
    others published *by* Microsoft. For example, AOE I and II were created by
    Ensemble Studios - and if you go to MS's site, while some steps are in their
    knowledge base, for troubleshooting, you'll be directed to Ensemble's
    website. Combat Flight Simulator *is* (IIRC) developed by MS themselves at
    this point...

    Yet you still give no troubleshooting information past "they don't start
    after installing." So, *yes,* to actually *help* more information would be
    needed... like CPU type and speed, amount of memory, video card type, driver
    revision, DirectX revision, if you're running any of them in compatibility
    mode, what patches you're running on your OS.... some of which are under
    MS's control, some of which are not, and *any* of which could affect the
    games.


    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.710 / Virus Database: 466 - Release Date: 6/23/2004
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    what i don't understand is that WE HAVE TO PAY THEM A FEE
    TO HAVE THEM FIX OUR SOFTWARE PROBLEM WHICH IS CAUSED BY
    THEIR WON SOFTWARE PROGRAMS. why can't they just help us
    fix whatever is causing the problem. Customer Service? we
    are individuals, not corporations. I don't have a problem
    with my video card because if I did, I would have know
    about it a long time ago. Microsoft wants to "kill" all
    other software/hardware out there that is not made by
    Microsoft.

    >-----Original Message-----
    >When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here.
    The problems are not with our computers, they are with the
    games. why is it that only microsoft games are not
    working on these systems? I have over 100 games installed
    on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are
    microsoft games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility
    and blames whatever they can. Everybody and anybody
    except themselves. Fix the damn games, microsoft!
    >
    >This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots,
    Age of Mythology, Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior
    Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball 2001, Dungeon Seige, and
    Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
    >--
    >Mike
    >.
    >
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Yeah, just look at all the patches you pay for... oh, wait, YOU DON'T.


    "ireland" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:3adc01c47289$4a089920$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > what i don't understand is that WE HAVE TO PAY THEM A FEE
    > TO HAVE THEM FIX OUR SOFTWARE PROBLEM WHICH IS CAUSED BY
    > THEIR WON SOFTWARE PROGRAMS. why can't they just help us
    > fix whatever is causing the problem. Customer Service? we
    > are individuals, not corporations. I don't have a problem
    > with my video card because if I did, I would have know
    > about it a long time ago. Microsoft wants to "kill" all
    > other software/hardware out there that is not made by
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > >-----Original Message-----
    > >When are we going to realize that we are all dupes here.
    > The problems are not with our computers, they are with the
    > games. why is it that only microsoft games are not
    > working on these systems? I have over 100 games installed
    > on my computer and the only ones giving me trouble are
    > microsoft games. Microsoft refuses to take responsibility
    > and blames whatever they can. Everybody and anybody
    > except themselves. Fix the damn games, microsoft!
    > >
    > >This applies to: Rise of Nations, Thrones and Patriots,
    > Age of Mythology, Age of Empires One and Two, Mechwarrior
    > Mercenaries, Microsoft Baseball 2001, Dungeon Seige, and
    > Combat Flight simulator 3. See any pattern?
    > >--
    > >Mike
    > >.
    > >


    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.726 / Virus Database: 481 - Release Date: 7/23/2004
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Microsoft Video Games