XP Network Problem. Please Help!!!

August 21, 2002 8:51:40 AM

I'm MAD!!! I have a serious network problem with my XP Pro (I had a Win2K Pro before and no problem with my network, and no, I don't wanna reinstall the W2K again... if posible). Here I go:

The computer:

Asus A7V with 1.2 Athlon
512 MB Ram PC-133
Hercules GForce 2 MX 32MB
Barracuda IV 40GB HD
Surecom Ethernet 10/100 card

The Network:

5 to 7 Computers (all Win2K Pro)
Connected to HUB 10/100
The hub is connected to a 3Com DSL Router as gate to the Web
Usual Network configuration, No Sub or IP problem (all OK and checked!)

The Problem (Help please!!!!):

I have the Win XP Pro Guest account enable to share some folders, but whenever someone tries to access my files, they windows explorer hangs!!! When I do the same and surf the LAN to access a friends computer the latency is notorious, after some seconds I click on the folder and the Windows Eplorer simple hangs. If I close the Explorer, everything closes and i get a nice empty desktop (no start menu or anything...), but if I start a new Windows Explorer without closing the first one (still "freezed") and I surf to the same network folder I can access the files!!! After 20 or more minutes the first Explorer gets out of the hang up by itself and I files can be accessed!!! My Win XP Pro is suppossed to be up to date.

Does anybody know what's the problem about???? Please help i'm desperate (I work in a LAN everyday and this is crazy!!!!). THX!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by striker873 on 08/22/02 02:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : network problem

August 21, 2002 11:30:22 AM

Stab in the dark I found on usenet (FWIW):

May be because xp is making sure there are no scheduled tasks on the drive
it is trying to access. There is a registry hack to stop this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer
/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key :

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} - and delete it.

This is key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks.
"Nix" <nmkolev@abv.bg> wrote in message
> Hi, I've got the same problem (I have posted a question on
> 27th here) and still haven't found any solution. I'll try
> to reinstall the XP without running the Network wizard and
> create the connection manually (as recommended sometimes
> in the Net's forums). I'll keep in touch. Good luck :-\\

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 21, 2002 3:06:49 PM

Thank you very much for the info.
I deleted that key entry with the regedit tool, but I still have the same problem :(  Still desperate... any ideas???
!