How to determine IP Address of a network printer

August 8, 2005 6:51:55 PM

XP Pro current

What XP utility would give me the IP address of my printer?

I use a D-Link (Wi-Fi) router. I Wi-Fi from my Laptop to my Desktop.

The printer is locally attached to my Desktop which also uses XP Pro.

Thanks, Dennis
August 8, 2005 7:03:03 PM

If the printer is connected to the desktop, then you will want to use the
desktop IP address to connect from your laptop. The printer itself will not
have an IP address. You have to share it from the desktop

"Dennis" wrote:

> XP Pro current
>
> What XP utility would give me the IP address of my printer?
>
> I use a D-Link (Wi-Fi) router. I Wi-Fi from my Laptop to my Desktop.
>
> The printer is locally attached to my Desktop which also uses XP Pro.
>
> Thanks, Dennis
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:32:46 PM

"Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP Pro current
>
> What XP utility would give me the IP address of my printer?
>
> I use a D-Link (Wi-Fi) router. I Wi-Fi from my Laptop to my Desktop.
>
> The printer is locally attached to my Desktop which also uses XP Pro.
>
> Thanks, Dennis

A network printer is one that is attached directly to the network -- the
printer has its own network card and its own IP address. What you've got is
a shared printer that's attached to a computer on your network. The printer
isn't going to have an IP address unless for some odd reason it is network
capable and you've decided to connect it to one computer that has 2 network
connections, but that would be an odd way of doing things.

What you've got to do is share the printer on the computer it's connected
to, and then you can add it to your other computers using its share name.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:09:31 AM

If the printer is locally attached to your desktop then it does not have an
IP address. Your pc does and that is used to access your printer but your
printer does not.

!