How to determine IP Address of a network printer

XP Pro current

What XP utility would give me the IP address of my printer?

I use a D-Link (Wi-Fi) router. I Wi-Fi from my Laptop to my Desktop.

The printer is locally attached to my Desktop which also uses XP Pro.

Thanks, Dennis
3 answers Last reply
More about determine address network printer

    If the printer is connected to the desktop, then you will want to use the
    desktop IP address to connect from your laptop. The printer itself will not
    have an IP address. You have to share it from the desktop

    "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP Pro current
    >
    > What XP utility would give me the IP address of my printer?
    >
    > I use a D-Link (Wi-Fi) router. I Wi-Fi from my Laptop to my Desktop.
    >
    > The printer is locally attached to my Desktop which also uses XP Pro.
    >
    > Thanks, Dennis

    A network printer is one that is attached directly to the network -- the
    printer has its own network card and its own IP address. What you've got is
    a shared printer that's attached to a computer on your network. The printer
    isn't going to have an IP address unless for some odd reason it is network
    capable and you've decided to connect it to one computer that has 2 network
    connections, but that would be an odd way of doing things.

    What you've got to do is share the printer on the computer it's connected
    to, and then you can add it to your other computers using its share name.

    If the printer is locally attached to your desktop then it does not have an
    IP address. Your pc does and that is used to access your printer but your
    printer does not.

    "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP Pro current
    >
    > What XP utility would give me the IP address of my printer?
    >
    > I use a D-Link (Wi-Fi) router. I Wi-Fi from my Laptop to my Desktop.
    >
    > The printer is locally attached to my Desktop which also uses XP Pro.
    >
    > Thanks, Dennis

IP Address Windows XP