Hot 4700 Dimension

Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
enclosed area.

Thanks.

~k

curious

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote:

>Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
>the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
>enclosed area.

That's not normal. Better call Dell.

See these:

http://tinyurl.com/db732
http://tinyurl.com/d3uca

Are all the fans working? Can you feel the air exhausting?

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
> Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
> the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
> enclosed area.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ~k

yes
"snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
Are all the fans working? Can you feel the air exhausting?

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message
> Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
> the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
> enclosed area.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ~k

"Kmee" <Kmee@nospammsn.com> wrote in message news:fwGse.229$Vr6.1713@eagle.america.net...
> Received a new Dell Dimension 4700 last week. It is running hot to
> the touch (ie. case is hot). Is this normal? It is not in an
> enclosed area.

I imagine that a reversed CPU fan equipped 4700 with a 550 running
balls to the wall for a couple of hours would get a bit toasty and the
case would feel noticeably warmer than the case of a similarly equipped
machine with better cooling. But unless you perform some kind of
controlled test across two similar 4700's, or do so with someone else
and compare measured temps, I'm not sure how you would get a good
feel for whether yours is getting hotter than what is to be expected.

One obvious thing to do would be to carefully expect the machine and
the path the air takes, looking for any obstructions. Another basic
thing you could check is that the variable speed CPU fan is stepping
up in response to higher temperatures. If you fire up a cold box in
a cool room the fan should be at its lowest setting. If you run a CPU
benchmarking program for awhile, the system will heat up and you
should hear the CPU fan speed increase. Someone mentioned that
the diagnostics include a fan speed test, and if so it wouldn't hurt to
take a look at that. Somewhere else I read that, at least on certain
Dells, if you go into system setup there is a fan speed related setting.
Something else to experiment with.

Let us know what happens.