External Clock Question

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
While running 3Dmark today, I noticed that the bus speed was 133. I checked through my settings and found the external clock speed on the processor is 133mhz. Is this normal? I looked around in the BIOS, and found that I can change the setting, but did not want to. I just want to know if my bus speed is running at 133 instead of the 400 or 533 like it should be. My system specs are:

P4 2.53
ASUS P4S8X
512 MB DDR PC2100

I thought I would come to the experts before I change something that I am still learning about. Thanks in advance.

If I hear, <b>DUDE YOUR GETTING A DELL</b>, one more time... I'll put up with it because my boss told me to.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Intel uses a "quad pumped" FSB system which makes use of the corners of the clock square waves.

Basically this means they are lying about their FSB speeds...

For a 400mhz fsb Intel divide by 4
For a 200mhz fsb AMD divide by 2

And guess what... it's the same speed.

We have 200 watt speakers running off 12 volt power supplies, 1800 cpus that actually run at 1533, 400 watt Peak power supplies that can't sustain 150, 56x CDroms that can't sustain 24X, and on and on... It's all dishonest marketing and it's all done in the name of separating you from your money.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Teq on 02/26/03 05:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These guys use the term "pumped" which some moron came up with and they copied. Not that these guys are morons, but rather that they jumped on a bandwagon built by a moron.

The term is "Quad Data Rate" and means you have four data transfers per cycle, hence the "533MHz" lie. AMD started it long ago with their "200MHz" lie, a 100MHz bus using Dual Data Rate technology.

Oh, and there aren't any pumps involved :smile:

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>